I Got A Bunny Named Bridget (think Playboy)

CountryLovah

My sister "in law" Tanya and I were out job hunting for her yesterday.. She has tried EVERYWHERE and she is having no luck. We tried a few more places and then I said "what do you think about pet stores?". She said "Ooooh great idea!". YAY DISCOUNT lol... So as we were job hunting we kept getting a little sidetracked. We went to Friendly's so she could apply and ended up with ice cream sundaes. Then we went to the pet store to apply and ended up with... a BUNNY! My daughter Taylor has been saying she wants her "own" pet. We've got plenty of pets: 1 dog, 2 cats, 2 bettas, 3 goldfish, 2 tropicals. But she says she wants one to call her OWN. She asked for a hampster and daddy said "no more pets". (That was to me, AND her!). But he did say I could get her a couple tropical fish since I have an extra tank. But I was thinking about it, and tropicals aren't the best idea right now. I'm busy enough with the goldfish, then with the bettas. Tanya got 2 tropicals, but basically within 2 days decided that the maintence was boring and asked me to do it. I said yes because the alternative was to let her slack off and kill the fish. Personally, goldfish are worth the work. Those little faces and actions. They don't feel like FISH. And I've had my bettas forever. But so far, the trops just haven't gotten me. They are cool, they are pretty. I will do everything I can to keep them properly, but I don't feel that "bond". (Sorry to offend tropical lovers!) They just don't have those cute little goldfish expressions. One little tank is fine, or even if in the long run we ended up with one bigger tank to house more fish, that might be the way to go so you can have more variety. But personally I don't feel like worrying about ANOTHER tropical tank. I've got enough tank maintence as it is! At this point it's the 29 gallon, 34 gallon, two 10 gallon QT, two 2.5 gallon bettas, and one 5 gallon tropical. And technically 2 empty 5 gallons of which one is cycled so I might just keep as a filter media tank which I saw Toothless did. (I think that was who it was).

Okay so somehow fish entered this non fish topic. LOL. Well when I was out I saw some hermit crabs. I loved hermit crabs as a kid and they are soooo much easier than fish, and more fun for a kid. There were tons and tons of crabs and there was this super cute one with a pink shell that was active. I thought I could get that for my daughter and she would be more than thrilled, and it would be less work for me than another small tropical tank. There was this adorable pug who I played with for like 20 minutes. I was never a big fan of pugs until I got my puggle - half beagle half pug - and now I think they are adorable. Well we resisted the pug and ended up in the back of the store with the small animals. There was a cute rat. Tanya freaked out and said "ewwwww" and I told her I had one when I was younger and they are actually really sweet. And then we saw the BUNNIES. I had a bunny when I was a kid (also named Angel by the way). She was this gorgeous white bunny with blue eyes. I had her for about 10 years. I looked in and there were a couple of grey ones and a couple of black ones but they were all very scared. One of the workers (who was awesome by the way) said "try petting the black and white one. She's friendly". I don't know how we missed her. There was this cute little bunny, mostly white with a little black seperate from the others. She was soooooo sweet. Tanya said "Sue we need to get her and name her Bridget!!!" Who is both me & Tanya's favorite of the three girls on the tv show Girls Next Door (about Hugh Hefner's girlfriends). Which made me laugh because the other day I rememeber Acupunk getting a fish and the Hugh Hefner subject coming up and I had said to get a Hef, Bridget, Holly and Kendra. She was sooooo sweet and within a minute she started cleaning her ears, which was always the CUTEST thing to me. Tanya said "we HAVE to get her" and I said "there's just no way.. Your brother will NEVER say yes!!!!". The pet store guy was standing there laughing while me and Tanya plotted on how to get the bunny. We agreed the bunny would be mine, that way if she moves there is no question of who gets her. I asked and she is 4 months old. He said she has been at the store for about 2-3 months. I said "awww why doesn't anyone want her?". He said its because most people have been looking for floppy eared bunnies and she has ears that are mostly straight up and sometimes one up and one down and people don't like it.. He said she is very sweet, one of the sweetest ones he's seen but he's had a hard time selling her because of the ears. AWWWWWWWWWWWW. So we decided to call my BF and test the waters. I had Tanya call. At first we got "ohhhh NO. No way - no more animals!!!". Tanya said "didn't you say you wanted to DRINK with Sue later?" and he said "No way - drinking isn't gonna cut it this time!". I got on the phone and started saying "Baaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbby I looooooooove you" and he was laughing and the pet store guy was laughing. Earlier he had said the hermit crab was okay because I explained to him that a hermit crab would actually be less work than a fish tank for Taylor. I said that really bunnies aren't that much work either, and I had one for 10 years. His first reaction was "If this turns out to be like the goldfish thing!". lol.. After a bit he said "Okay send me a picture and if I pic the bunny you guys want, you can have it". Of course, this whole thing is more about getting his blessing, not his permission. He would NEVER really say I am not ALLOWED to do something, but I would never want to do it if he was not okay with it. So we sent the pics and he said "I like the black and white one". WOOOO HOOOOO! So within a few minutes Tanya and I were on our way home with our little playboy bunny Bridget! : ) She's so cute! We let our cat Sabre (like Sabre Tooth, everyone says Sahh-Bree! Eww) check her out. It was insane. Bridget was hopping around the downstairs with Sabre following her around... They kept getting face to face and sniffing. Then later I held Bridget and let the dog downstairs. He went nuts. He loooooves bunnies. He would never hurt one. He is the sweetest dog, he just likes to see animals. But I didn't want him accidentally getting overexcited and hurting her. I said "where's the bunny?" cause he knows that word and he went crazy looking around till her found her then he wimpered like crazy. Soooo soo cute.

Of course Shane said "you ARE buying me beer and drinking with me tonight!" lol I said "I know". I had a bad cold but I told him I wanted to. He said I didn't have to but he's been such a good sport! I got him some beer on the way home, and set up the bunny cage, played with her a while, changed Angel's water and then stayed up late and spent time with Shane and the girls. It was a fun night. We played video games for a while and we let Taylor & her friend Lindsay stay up late and "party". It's really sad when a 30 yr old, 28 yr old, 18 yr old, 10 yr old, and 8 yr old can all agree on some of the same songs! LOL Now I am awake with a headache and the cold I had last night has become sooo much worse. But I got a bunny! ;)

Oh and the other day was sooo fun! I went to see Rent on tour. The original reason I even watched Rent was because this pop singer from South Africa that I love (Heinz Winckler) plays the main character. He was the South African Idol and I heard him the first time on a special called WORLD IDOL. He sang so good we ordered his cd's from a internet store. I figured I'd never get a chance to see him here in the U.S. (cause good music has no chance here lately hahah) and this was closest I would get. I saw the movie Rent and hated it. Then saw the show on tour with Heinz and actually found myself liking it. In February we got tix to see it again, and Heinz was not there. So we thought one more try. Got tix for this past week in Conneticut. Heinz was there! He sings soooo soo good. After the show we wanted to meet him and he is just the nicest guy. We had ordered copies of his live concert dvd which cost about $20 shipping from South Africa to here. When we met him he said "wow I can't believe you have this" and was just soo genuine and nice. I LOVE when famous people are that way. I've had some great experiences as well as some bad ones, and it's often surprising who is nice and who is not. Heinz was so kind. So check this out, the next morning I went on myspace. It said new messages. UMMM HEINZ MYSPACED ME!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH! He wrote how it was great to meet Shane and I and talked a little about his music and said he and his wife were gonna be in philly". UMM HEINZ MYSPACED ME!!!!! Wow.. And in case no one heard... HEINZ MYSPACED MEEEEEEE! How FUN! Then next week Shane, Tanya, Taylor and I are going to my favorite beach for a couple days and Shane and I are going to a Chris Cagle concert while we are there. He's country. I saw him last month but he's one of my favorites. He's coming to Point Pleasant which is 10 mins away from Asbury Park so we usually do Asbury in the day time and Point Pleasant at night cause of the arcades. I'm in a great mood (excedrin started to kick in!). I still want the hermit crab... LOL... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... I believe Taylor and Lindsay just may want to go with me to the pet store!) Okay Picture TIME!!!!! (As if anyone is still even reading this LOL)

BRIDGET:

Bridget2.jpg

Bridget.jpg

TANYA & TAYLOR LAST NIGHT:

TanyaTaylor.jpg

ME & HEINZ WINCKLER:

SueHeinzWinckler.jpg

Pics of Taylor, Sabre and JJ just cause they are cute!:

TaylorsBirthday.jpg

TaylorSabre.jpg

JJ.jpg

LOL I know how that is to go in a pet store needing one thing... last time that happened I came home with a white cat! :rolleyes: But your bunny is ADORABLE!!! Is it a mini rex?

Just a side note on something you'd mentioned?hermit crabs are NOT easy pets, and certainly not easier than fish! They have extremely specific needs, and most pet store staff can't even scratch the surface on telling you proper needs. For example, they shouldn't live in painted shells, shouldn't live in those little plastic critter keepers, and shouldn't eat the processed crab food in a bottle that they sell you. Just a quick example?mine live in a 60 gallon glass aquarium with lids, three kinds of substrate, fully filtered salt and freshwater pools, a digital hygrometer/thermometer combo to keep tabs on their conditions, and they are fed a different food every night!! Even in doing that I am not always successful in keeping them. And land hermit crabs SHOULD LIVE 20+ years in captivity...

Just like the public is largely misinformed on proper goldfish care, they are so about crab care too. (You can visit the crustacean subforum and see pics of my setup.)

Sooooooo I completely drove your bunny story off topic but just wanted to share that with you. :D

Oh thanks - I appreciate the information!! I had no idea. You're right, very much like the fish! I kept them as a child so I just did what the store told my mom to do and that's it. I had a bunch of them in a 10 gallon tank if I remember correctly. It's been so long ago, I don't remember very much. I remember, what is it, molting??? And freaking out thinking my crab was dead, and feeling so relieved when he wasn't. I will DEFINITLY read up before making a decision. I almost went back out today to get one too! I am glad I got your post in time. Wow- they can live that long? This is goldfish all over again - thinking having them for a year or two was good then finding out how they are supposed to live, and the different requirements. It's been about 15 years since I had hermit crabs. Maybe longer. When I was in 9th grade we had a fire in our house. My dad went back in actually to save my bunny, because there wasn't smoke or fire in the downstairs. My bedroom was where the crab tank was, and I had 10 hermit crabs at the time... and then no more. It was extremely sad. (Leave it to me to have a weird story huh?) I'm gonna check out your pictures and everything in just a minute. Thanks so much!

As for my bunny, I don't know what she is, but she's cute LOL. I like her weird ears. It gives her character! I just let the dog get close to her for the first time. I put a harness on him, and leash and let him get a little closer and a little closer. He whined and sniffed her. She just hopped all around him, and he just looked so happy, like "WOW! I finally get to see one up close". He just wagged his tail at her. lol Bridget seemed comfortable but after a few minutes I took JJ away just to be sure not to freak her out. So now he is whining like CRAZY.

Jsrtist- First of all, what's your name? Is it Jen? lol I've spoken to you a few times and it's getting silly calling you by your log in name : ) Second, WOW. Your set up is impressive. Your photos are impressive. STUNNING! I've just found about a million MORE threads to read now. I just browsed for a minute to get the basics and I have decided I am not going back to get a crab any time soon. Unfortunatley that just means someone else is going to buy them, and probably not take care of them right. BUT after already just reading a few of your threads/posts I have learned enough to know that it is WAY more complicated than I ever anitcipated. And I don't like to do things unless I do em right. So crabs are not in my near future. Something I might get back into at some point after more research. It's very interesting. You have got absolutely gorgeous photos!!!! If anything, understanding their needs makes them more interesting to keep, just like with the goldfish, but with my new goldies and new bunny I don't have time to devote to a new crab. As naive as it was, I really did believe you could put them in one of those small carriers, give em a sponge for water, some food and there was little maintence. I did not know there was temperature, humidity, substrate, etc. issues to consider. This of course made me immediatley jump on and look up rabbit information! Thanks for your advice (I know I said it earlier but saying it again). You wrote just in time, and I am so glad you did.... :thanks

Aw, I'm so glad I was able to give you helpful information. That's why I do what I do! Believe me, in the years I worked at the pet store I felt like a full time educator, trying to tell everyone how to keep animals properly and being so frustrated when I told people what they shouldn't do and they did it anyway.

My real name is Jenny. The jsrtist is my initials and the fact that I'm an artist. I've actually kept hermits even longer than goldfish! I too got them as a kid and thought they could live in the little cages, like I thought goldfish could live in tiny tanks (life was so much simpler back then!). I've put so much time and money over the years into trying to keep my critters properly.

I had to move the crab tank yesterday so I was forced to do a deep clean. I found out that I have 23 crabs (I never see them all at once and always lose track of how many I have). One crab panicked in my digging and abandoned his shell and was running around naked!! It was very scary because that is a sign of extreme stress. I put several empty shells in and he moved back into one, so all was well. But they can really stress me out at times!!

That was a very sad story about your housefire. For now feel free to live vicariously through me with my crab stories and photos. :D

I was pretty sure I saw the name Jen on one of the posts. : ) Hi Jenny! lol. Wow- 23 of them! That is really cool. I saw in the pictures how you had such a variety of them - I never knew there were different types or anything. I mean, thinking back to my old hermits I remember different ones very very clearly and looking at your pictures can say "OH! Thats what she was!". Judging from what I've read so far, there were certain things I did back then which were GOOD, and some things that weren't so great. I am pretty sure I had aquarium gravel in the tank, and I for SURE did not have enough of ANYTHING on the bottom for them to dig into. On the other hand, I had stuff for them to climb on, a bowl with water for a bath type section, and I fed them a variety of different foods from the house, not crab food. Grapes sticks out in my mind very clearly! My bedroom I grew up in was always hot and humid (still is actually just isn't my bedroom). And they were in a covered tank, just not a very large one. I remember my crabs molting many times and surviving, so I guess to some degree I was taking okay care of them. Back then painted shells weren't realy popular and I had a huge variety of extra shells for them to change into. Not too bad for a kid back when there was no internet huh? lol

The fire was so sad because when I found the tank it was just like you said and all the crabs were naked out of their shells. The fire actually never spread to the room they were in, but the smoke covered the entire house in a really thick layer of soot and ashes. Everything everywhere was completely black. When I found the tank I just cried so hard knowing that they all suffered in there. It was devasting to have all of them go at once. After the fire I got some hampsters and then my rat. Then my cat. And I never did have another hermit crab. Other than the crabs everyone was safe, the house was fixed and nicer than before. I will say that emotionally it screwed me up because ever since I've had major OCD! LOL Can be good at times (being prepared for new emergencies!) and can be bad at times (worrying about things that probably won't happen! lol)

I can imagine it must be frustrating to have people not listen at a pet store! Thinking back, there was ONE guy at a chain store that when I first got my 29 gallon tank said at most I should put three fish in it. But I had heard the opposite from SOOOO many others that I actually thought HE was the wrong one. I haven't seen him at that store since.. He probably got sick of people not listening to him and quit LOL.

If I decide to try the hermit crabs sometime I am gonna want ALL of your advice! So be prepared for questions and MORE questions. (Just like I do now with the fish). lol.. I think you are safe for a little while though. One of the things I love most about your photos and your set up, is how natural looking everything is. The mountains of sand with them climbing up it, stuff like that. Some of the pictures look like ones you would see in a magazine or book. You should post some new ones! They are so good : )

Anyway nice to meet you "officially"! : ) Thanks again for your advice - on this AND other topics!

Love your rabit. She looks like a lovely mix. :wub: I would swear one of her parents was a Papillion (the black ears, black nose and the black spots on white fur) and she looks like she has some Rex in her as wel due to the very fluffy look in the pictures. It is hard to judge fur in pictures, for all I know she could just have a bath and been dried with a towel so her fur looks fluffy :D

Edited by Quasi

Miki - nope she wasn't just towel dried.. that's just her fuzzy cute self!!! That's two people that said "Rex". See, just like with fish, I had no idea there were all these various types! lol I thought there were floppy eared and regular eared. Well, and wild bunnies. That's it! Now I am gonna have to find a bunny message board. (Yep I've already been checking out the Pet Brigade!) Now I've got more research to do : ) I'm still unsure about her cage. There were two types I saw. The first being the kind of cage I had for my first bunny, where you put the bedding in the bottom and there is a metal wiring above it, so the poop drops down below and you remove the tray. Which is convienient for cleaning to some degree, but I remember was always a pain if she was sick or something because the wiring would get messy. Also it makes it harder to get her a warm cozy rest area. Then the new kind I saw where the whole bottom is just solid and you fill it with tons of bedding and so they are nice and comfy but you have to change a LOT of bedding weekly, and they have to lay in their poop. Plus sides and negative sides to both. The decision was made for me, because the store I bought her at only had a guinea pig starter kit which was made like the second type. So I called a different store and they had a bunny starter kit, that I didn't realize until I got there was made like the first type. It was 10 minutes to closing, so I didn't have time to shop around, So thats what I got. She's already for the most part started to established a bathroom side so I moved the food and water to the other side. I want to get something cozy for her to sleep/rest in and place it near the food on the side of the cage that it NOT her bathroom. I also have been reading about training the bunnies to go in a box! I noticed that when she is hopping around our living room and has an accident she tends to go in two particular places, so it looks like those will be potential box places. I wouldn't be able to let her roam free always because of the dog, but it's fun to have her out and about for a good part of each day. And HEY! Guess what? Shane likes the bunny!!!!! He thinks she is super cute and sweet. Except for the going to the bathroom on the floor LOL HAHAHA.

That's two people that said "Rex". See, just like with fish, I had no idea there were all these various types! lol I thought there were floppy eared and regular eared. Well, and wild bunnies. That's it! Now I am gonna have to find a bunny message board. (Yep I've already been checking out the Pet Brigade!) Now I've got more research to do : )

That was how I felt when I found out all those different types of goldies. :blink:

I'm almost a walking encyclopaedia off dogs, cats, rabbits, and a lot off rodents and I know the basics off birds. :unsure:

Since 6 months my knowledge about goldies (and fish in general) has risen exponentially :gcar:

What a sweet lil bunny--she's sooo cute with those ears!!

I recently got an email with all kinds of adorable pics showing bunnies with dogs and cats. Maybe you could take some similar pictures with your critters? Here's some from the email--

ATT00017.jpg

ATT00012.jpg

ATT00018.jpg

ATT00016.jpg

Aww, what a sweet bunny Bridget looks like!!! And I love all the pics, the ones from Kristi are certainly special because of the way the bunny and the cat or dog are matched in color and pattern. <3

Miki can you just move into my house then?? LOL We've got a dog, 2 cats, a rabbit, fish and now a hermit crab. (Don't tell me you know all about them too!).

Hey my cats are black and white and so is the bunny! Maybe I could get a picture thats SIMILAR to the ones Kristi posted. The patterns aren't the same though but it would still be fun. Those are just super cute. They always have stuff like that on Ellen's talk show. Like "unlikely friends" or something. I would love to get one of the cat, dog AND rabbit LOL

Your daughter is sure a cutie! I hope she is happy with her new pet.

Just on a side note-- we goldfish addicts tend to hold our goldies on a pedestal and assume that they are the only animal that is undercared for... when in reality, it seems that everything that doesn't have fur tends to be surrounded by ignorant keepers! Really, all of us should be on the forefront of informing would-be goldfish keepers AND warning would-be keepers of ANYTHING to do their research before buying (and research that doesn't just consist of asking the teenaged minimum wage employee).

:heart

Miki can you just move into my house then?? LOL We've got a dog, 2 cats, a rabbit, fish and now a hermit crab. (Don't tell me you know all about them too!).

The only thing I know about hermit crabs is that they need shells. :D

Thanks Joy. She loves the bunny. She made her own little checklist of things to do to take care of the bunny. It's really really cute. It has a little section for "check water, check food". Aww!!!!

LOL Miki! That's a very useful piece of info! :) Oh I'm sure you'll know all about them too within a few months! But since you know a lot about bunnies... I was reading that you can litter box train them by keeping one corner food, one corner water, one a bed and then the litter box in the last. I got her a corner litter box, and a soft bed. And although she uses the litter box, she also likes going in her bed. Any tips? For now I took the bed out, and replaced it with a lower litter box. That way more of the cage is covered in soft bedding rather than the wires.

Thanks Joy. She loves the bunny. She made her own little checklist of things to do to take care of the bunny. It's really really cute. It has a little section for "check water, check food". Aww!!!!

LOL Miki! That's a very useful piece of info! :) Oh I'm sure you'll know all about them too within a few months! But since you know a lot about bunnies... I was reading that you can litter box train them by keeping one corner food, one corner water, one a bed and then the litter box in the last. I got her a corner litter box, and a soft bed. And although she uses the litter box, she also likes going in her bed. Any tips? For now I took the bed out, and replaced it with a lower litter box. That way more of the cage is covered in soft bedding rather than the wires.

I think that she just needs to adjust to her new home. As soon as she dicides where the bathroom will be, she normaly keeps to that spot as the bathroom

While I was gone she apparently figured out where her bathroom is going to be. The new litter box that I put in where her bed was, was completely filled and she hardly had anything in the big purple corner box. Looks like she's using that as her bed. Miki- I'm gonna have another question for you about my cat. I think I am going to join Pet Brigade and ask it there. Keep a look out : )

Just on a side note-- we goldfish addicts tend to hold our goldies on a pedestal and assume that they are the only animal that is undercared for... when in reality, it seems that everything that doesn't have fur tends to be surrounded by ignorant keepers!

Even fur is not a guarantee. More often than I'd like I've seen dog keepers who don't know a thing about how to treat a dog :wacko: . Sometimes it's intentional, sometimes it's ignorance, but it's never nice to see :( .