Is Seachem De* Nitrate Good For Tap With High Nitrates?

Hey guys! I went to one of my LFS yesterday. This store is not a chain, but they have about 6 stores in our area. Other than the new store I found, they have more helpful employees. However, this is also the store that said to use QuickCure, and when my fish showed signs of stress told me NOT to change the water and to add another dose. When I first came on here I thought the QuickCure itself was the problem, but now I realize that it may be a good med, in the RIGHT conditions. Just not MY conditions. ANYWAY... this is the first time I have really looked at their supplies since I've been coming to this board. I was pleased to find a lot of things that I couldn't find at the chain stores, like dimilin, GH & KH tests. Yay. While looking I saw a product called Seachem de*nitrate. I believe I've resolved most issues with my tap water including ammonia in tap, and ph changes. The only one that is remaining is having tap water with nitrates of about 15-20. Makes it impossible to keep them below 20 like others try to do. I've seen Nitra-zorb, but noticed (and read) that it is also an ammonia remover and interferes with the bio-filter. The de nitrate doesn't say anything like that on it. Has anyone used this and do you recommend it? I bought a container, but can always return it. I asked someone in the aquarium department. He was one of my Ich "advisors" so I was more asking him just to see what he would say, not to go by in the long run. When I asked him if it was a good product he said yes, but he said "do you add anything to your water?" and I said "prime" and he said nothing else? And I said "nope" and he said "You MUST get stability! " and I said "I've been told that product was not neccessary, as long as you have a establisted bio filter" He said "WHO told you THAT?" I said "I've read it by various people on a message board I go to often". He said "No you MUST use stabilty. Every time you change your water you are getting rid of beneficial bacteria!" I said "I've read that for the most part the beneficial bacteria are stored on the filter media, and water changes are not going to MAJORLY affect the bb's. He said "NO no no, you really don't even want to use de*nitrate unless you use Stabilty." He ALSO said that if I used Stabilty my nitrates would go down to zero, which that I KNOW is not true. So overall, he was not very helpful. I told him no thank you, I do not feel I need to buy the Stabilty right now, and that I was going to see what the "board" thought of the de nitrate.. He said "THAT WILL ONLY GET IT DOWN TO 4 or 5!". And I said "well, that's better than 20". And he mumbled something to himself, then said "I guess so". So we did not see eye to eye at all. I kept the conversation friendly on my end, but he was a total "know it all". I've seen that Stabilty is something some of you use, but for the most part I've seen that its in no way neccessary. As for the de*nitrate what do you think? Is there some negative side to using it, or did I find a good product?

De*nitrate is media that is intended to go in a slow-flow filter (50 gph or less). It is substrate on which to grow specialized bacteria that metabolize nitrate and convert it into a gas that eventually moves out of the water. These bacteria, unlike the bacteria that metabolize ammonia and nitrite, are anaerobic (meaning that they only grow in conditions without oxygen). If you are going to use de*nitrate you will need another filter to put it in -- the filters that remove ammonia and nitrite flow too fast for nitrate removal. The Seachem website says that you can use De*nitrate on the floor of the aquarium mixed with gravel, where it will have similar benefits for nitrate removal. I would think twice about this though, because some goldfish will get confused about what it is (because it has a different texture from regular gravel) and will try to eat it. I had a scary incident about a month ago when my ranchu Penny ate a large piece of a similar media. Fortunately she chewed it up before swallowing and it does not appear to have caused her any harm.

With regard to Stability -- I would agree with you that you don't need it if you have an established biofilter. The biofilter bacteria are not free-swimming and are therefore not removed with water changes once they have set up housekeeping on filter media.

Thanx Kristen! I do not want to mix it with gravel, since I am in the process of removing the gravel from my tanks and bcause of what you said. I have extra Whisper Internal Power Filter 10's that came with my some tanks that I do not use. I thought they might do the trick but I just looked at it says they are 90GPH. I found a Fluval 1 Plus Filter on Amazon for $13.99. It says it is 50GPH. That sounds about right to me, what do you think Kristen? Is this worth it for my high nitrates or am I just being fish obessed? lol

:exactly:bingo:

Good post!

I have never used the de-nitrate type product, but I could see that it could potentially be useful if you were dealing with really AWFUL nitrates in your supply water. You could potentially draw a barrel of water, storing it with a slow running water pump that ran over a bed of de-nitrate. This would clean your supply water for use. It would bring it to room temp, it would dissappate any chlorine and it could help bring the pH to whereever it is like to be after aeration. but used in a goldie tank? Naw.......

As far as the Stability - I am glad you stood your ground. Good for you! :hi5

Thanx Daryl!!! That is a wonderful idea.. I would never have thought of it I am so glad I asked... That makes perfect sense because I wouldn't be adding it to the actual tank, and then I wouldn't have to worry about what happens if it runs out and the nitrates just go crazy. You know, I wouldn't be DEPENDING on it. It seems like in most cases I am learning that the fewer things added to the tank, the better. With exceptions of course. But that would be an excellent thing to try to prepare tap water for use.. And like you said it would probably even get rid of my minor ph problem! I could try it out with a rubbermaid even!

Meanwhile you're one comment sounds like it's the explanation for the ph changes I've been wondering about. I've been trying to understand why the Ph goes up in a tank and not in a bucket. (well for ME it goes up) I had ruled out most things, and figured it had something to do with the filter.. AHHHH AERATION! So I could get the same effect with a filter or air stone most likely. Call me a nerd but I just love learning all these new facts.. I get so excited every time something "clicks". Koko this site is just awesome!

I just wanted to share my success story of pre-treating my water in a rubbermaid before adding it to the tank. I have a different problem. My nitrites get very high, sometimes over 2.0 from the tap. I have a rubbermaid tub on the floor with an old Topfin 10 filter hanging on the side. I use a product called Nitra-zorb which will remove ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I fill the tub from the tap, plop the nitra-zorb packet in the filter, and let it run for a day or so, depending on how bad the water is, then keep testing it.

The water then becomes temperature matched to my tanks, and non-lethal for the fish. :) I like the product I use because I can recharge it in salt water. After I've cleaned up a tub of water, I just recharge the packet so it is ready for next time.

Here is a picture of my set up.

pretreat.jpg