My Ryukin Foot Came down with Dropsy today, it was so brief and devastating there was no time to treat it. He was my favorite goldfish, and I always loved him the most. Everything was going well until today I came home and he refused to eat.

RIP Foot the best goldfish ever...

Some of the better moments...

IMGP4734PEF.jpg

With Friends

IMGP5516.jpg

IMGP5511.jpg

I am done with the goldfish hobby, losses are too devastating to me, sudden things like foots death are too much to handle. I believe that making these bonds may be too much for me in the end.

I am sorry to hear about Foot. He did go very fast. :cry1

You shouldn't give up! Think of the special little fish out there that would be better off with you than dying unwanted in a tank somewhere. It's wonderful that you care enough about them to grieve their loss.

We have all gone through it, it can get frustrating, but with each loss you learn skills that will help you to help the next fish. Now is the time to find out all you can about what killed your fish and how to treat it so that if you see those symptoms again, you will be prepared.

I hope you feel better soon :hug

That's a real shame about Foot--what a gorgeous fishy. :cry At least he didn't have to suffer very long. :death

I hope you don't give up on goldies. It happens to all of us, unfortunately. I lost my fave gf awhile back and it was also very sudden--like within about half an hour after I fed him some freeze dried bloodworms. Maybe he was allergic, I don't know. But it was devastating for me too--I went in a back bedroom and just cried my eyes out. I had him since he was a little 1 incher and a year later he was about 3 1/2-4 inch and so beautiful. My 1st gf since getting back into the hobby--just a 25 cent feeder that made me very proud.

HPIM2030.jpg

My KC

KC will always have my heart but I have others to love now and it really helps. Hang in there for the sake of goldies everywhere!

Edited by Kristi

I'm so sorry about Foot, I read your emergency post and it was heartbreaking :(

Like the others, I hope you don't give up. I've posted the same thing on here in the past. It can be hard to lose our fish, just like any other pet. I've come to accept that I'm going to lose some every now and then. It doesn't make it any easier, but I know I do everything I can for them while they're with me.

I really hope you feel better soon :(

I am soo soo sorry to hear about Foot. :cry I know how sad you are feeling right now and I completely understand the feeling of wanting to give up. I've felt that way many times recently It's so hard, especially when it is your favorite fish like Foot was to you. You have beautiful fish, and I really hope that after some time you decide to continue keeping them. I hope you begin to feel better soon. It's so hard for some people to understand how painful it can be for a fish to pass, but everyone on here seems to really understand. RIP Foot.

I am done with the goldfish hobby, losses are too devastating to me, sudden things like foots death are too much to handle. I believe that making these bonds may be too much for me in the end.

I swore off goldies too for about a year and a half for the same reason. The losses were too devastating. But, eventually, for me, I forgot the sadness and just started remembering how much I loved those cute little faces and how much I missed them, and here I am, with a bigger tank and more knowledge and, yeah, I've had a couple of losses since starting over, but, so far, the joy is outweighing the losses. Give it time and just see how you feel. I'm sorry for your pain. :k055:

Oh Trico I am so sorry to hear that Foot didn't make it. Dropsy is so hard to beat-- many of us have lost fish to it.

I know what you mean about making these bonds with these tiny, beautiful creatures who seem to be so delicate when conditions are not perfect. It is hard on the soul-- but I ask you to think how empty and small that soul would be if you had not first experienced the love and devotion that only keeping a goldie can bring. When I was a kid, my mom made the mistake of buying 2 pregnant gerbils. My gerbil had the misfortune of being closely related to whomever the father was, and so every single one of the litter was born physically deformed. Most of them died within their first month of life. I was 11, and that was devastating to me. But I learned so much about love and life and death from it-- it was such a wonderful experience to connect with their little lives while they still lived-- that I would never choose to have it happen differently.

When I experience a fish loss, I tell myself that at least one person in the world loved that fish. So many of them expire anonymously in the worst conditions imaginable. At least I gave my fish a chance. A good life. Loving care. A piece of my heart.

Feel better hon. The world is a better place because of the depth of your heart.

How very sad to lose such a beautiful fish. I know what you mean about becoming very attached to them, they are so friendly and have such loveable personalities. It sounds like your Foot had a wonderful life with someone who cared for him. I shed a few tears with you, remembering when I lost some of mine. As others have said, I hope you do not give up on goldfish - you could give another little fish a caring home.

• 3 months later...