Sign in to follow this  
Trico

Foots Acting Weird!

When I came home today I saw my Ryukin foot acting weird, he was not spunky like his regular self, and did not respond to the food I fed him. I think he has popeye, I don't know whats wrong, hes gasping at the surface a lot, and is Really easy to catch off guard. What could be Wrong?

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 30-40

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap?7.0 pH

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?)

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?55 since the end of last decemeber

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? Aquatech 30-60 aquatech 10-20

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?30% weekly

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?6 3-4 inch fish

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?none

[*]Any medications added to the tank?none

[*]Add any new fish to the tank?none

[*]What do you feed your fish?hikari sokaed pellets

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? popeye on my ryukin

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..?

Only him will not eat, his other goldie tankmates readily go after the food. Should I qt him?

He Definately has Dropsy. Help Me treat him, hes one of my first goldfish I don't Want to lose him....

Heres pics of his pineconing and popeye. I really need someone with experiance to help me assess and correctly face the problem, I know that he probably won't survive through dropsy, since hes not eating, but I'm willing to give him a fighting chance...

I put him in a 10 gallon cycled qt tank by himself so hes not picked on... all params are normal for his qt tank

IMGP5605.jpg

IMGP5604.jpg

IMGP5603.jpg

IMGP5602.jpg

IMGP5601.jpg

IMGP5600.jpg

Please help my Baby Foot to get better :(

I'm really sorry Foot has come down with dropsy!

You did the right thing by QTing him. What's your filtration on the QT tank? You probably know this but cycled filtration on your QT is perhaps even more vital than on your main tank.

I would start by adding 1/4 TSP of epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) to your 10gal QT. Get some Maracyn II as soon as you can and treat as directed. Remember that the active ingredient in Maracyn II is light-sensitive, so turn off your tank lights and cover the tank with a towel.

You need to start feeding an antibacterial food ASAP. I know it will be hard if he is not eating, but you should get MetroMeds from goldfishconnection.com. You can also try Jungle Labs AntiBacterial food, which you can get faster as it can be found in most LFS.

Keep us updated.

Thanks for responding. Well I did recieve the maracyn 2, and some antibacterial food called geltek, its supposed to treat dropsy. I don't think hes gonna make it. He was upside down and hardly breathing when I came back from the store...

He passed away in my hands... :( poor Foot, he was still only a baby I didn't even have time to treat the symptoms... :cry1 Rest in peace

Trico, I am so sorry that you lost Foot. You did all you could do for him. Dropsy is a hellatiously difficult condition to treat. Hope you feel better very soon. :heart

I am soooo sorry :cry1

I lost a pearlscale to dropsy, so I know how devastating it can be. Seeing those pineconed scales just sent shivers down my spine... I'm so sorry.