Safety For Moving Glass Tanks In Summer

jsrtist

I recently moved my 100 gallon glass tank to our new place. It was over 100? outside and the tank sat in the bed of the truck for almost an hour's drive. By the time we got there to set it up, I realized the glass was extremely hot, and the water I was planning to fill it with was rather cold.

In the past I've been known for breaking glass?hot glass cracks or shatters when it comes in contact with a cold surface, whether it be a dish out of the oven on the cold tile counter, or cold water in a hot glass fresh from the dishwasher. So I decided to wait and let the glass tank cool down for awhile till I filled it.

I just thought this tip might come in handy for anyone having to move glass tanks in the heat this summer. We had a similar experience in moving a glass tank in the wintertime. Hopefully this can help prevent someone's tank breaking!

Thanks for the tip. :goodjob My girlfriend and I will be moving our 15 and 70 gal tanks over to our place somewhere during the (hottest part of the) summer, so the tip will come in handy.

That is a very good tip! I wouldn't have thought about it. Another is, don't go to shopping for supplies if you aren't coming home right away. The other day I bought some supplies including a 10 gallon tank, and also some thermometers and other stuff. It's really hot right now and I had to go to Wal Mart after the pet store. When I got home the thermometers were broken from the heat. The red stuff (whatever that is) that shows you how high the temp is, had gone all the way up to the top to the point where it won't come back down. And as far as the tank I was worried that the stuff (forgive me I don't have proper terms right now) that holds the tank together would have melted. LOL. I am gonna go back and see if they will exchange them, but thats doubtful since its not their fault.

Sealant! HAHA my mind slipped. Yeah I am clueless when it comes to temperatures for the sealant but when I saw the thermometers I had to check. Two of the thermometers just rose all the way to the top, past 110 and were stuck there. The third the "red" completely burst inside the thermometer and it was just red and gooey everywhere inside. I was going back to the store anyway to exchange tanks. The tank I got had a black spot that I saw in the store but I thought would rub off, it wouldn't so I went to a different store to exchange. While I was there I asked about the thermometers. I told the the truth that it was my fault and I had left them in the car too long, and they exchanged them anyway! Honesty pays off. The other day I bought three buckets and the guy charged me for one. It pained me, but I had to tell him to charge me for two more.

And I said it before, but really excellent tip Jsrtist! : ) It's going to help many people. I didn't notice it was part of a contest the first time I read lol Sorry to be all "oooh I have a tip also" :oops:

Increasing heat temperature is actually suggested to speed up the curing process in silicone sealant, so I don't think that would've been an issue. But, wow! Bustin' a thermometer! Okay, I give up. I won't complain about our heat here in LA anymore!

• 3 weeks later...

In California you have the cool pacific to keep it comfy. The rest of us aren't that lucky. :)

Anyhow, about the tip. It would be a little silly to plan a move around your fish tank, but if you're making two trips anyway, move the tank in the morning or evening when it's cooler, rather than during the hot afternoon.