I darn near did in the Goldie's I put into the 75 gallon tank. It's not fully cycled yet and somehow I managed to hit the switch that turned off all the filters in there when I went to bed the other night. Never realized it until the next morning. Needless to say things were not great in the tank by then. Ammonia had spiked and nitrites were thru' the roof. Thank heavens,two major water changes and some salt seems to have done the trick. Fish seem fine now. Scared the bejeesus out of me tho'. I have since put a piece of tape over that switch so it doesn't happen again.

Kathy

I actually found myself laying in bed last night listening for the hum of the filters from down the hall :rofl

I guess the accidental unplug is a goldie mama's greatest fear. Glad to hear everything turned out alright Kathy.

Guest Isilme

Good you found out in time!

5 years ago when I only had my tropical aquarium, we were away for the weekend and there was a tunderstorm. All the electricity in our building went off and our neighbour only put her main-switch back on :wa:madrant The filters, heating and lights were of for almost 2 whole days!!! Luckely no fish died, but my tetra's were decoloured and all fishes were on the bottom of the tank. Stupid woman! :cry

I'm glad there was no permanent damage. Luckily our (external) filter doesn't have an (easy) off-witch, so that can't happen to us, but we sometimes have a similar problem with the different electric cables, that we might have pulled out the wrong one without realizing it (I've convinced Miki to use colour coding once we've moved the tanks to our place though :nana ).

Good you found out in time!

5 years ago when I only had my tropical aquarium, we were away for the weekend and there was a tunderstorm. All the electricity in our building went off and our neighbour only put her main-switch back on :wa:madrant The filters, heating and lights were of for almost 2 whole days!!! Luckely no fish died, but my tetra's were decoloured and all fishes were on the bottom of the tank. Stupid woman! :cry

Unbelievable how thoughtless some people can be :wacko:

good thing u found out, one of my power strips doesnt stay in the outlet very good and comes out sometimes but luckily i realize it pretty soon cuz the lights on the tanks will go out

I'm glad there was no permanent damage. Luckily our (external) filter doesn't have an (easy) off-witch, so that can't happen to us, but we sometimes have a similar problem with the different electric cables, that we might have pulled out the wrong one without realizing it (I've convinced Miki to use colour coding once we've moved the tanks to our place though :nana ).

I have absolutely no problem with all the wires, I just look good at them, and I know the left one is for that, the right one is that, just good memory. :D But they will get colourcoded :painting: for you ;)

I have absolutely no problem with all the wires, I just look good at them, and I know the left one is for that, the right one is that, just good memory. :D But they will get colourcoded :painting: for you ;)

Finally ... a victory! I shall cherish it for ever and ever and ever :P:rofl

• Admin

Ever since one of my tanks sprang a leak at 4 am in the morning, I have gotten to the habit of listening to the tanks as I fall asleep. One little different noise and Im up to find out whats wrong :(

Ever since one of my tanks sprang a leak at 4 am in the morning, I have gotten to the habit of listening to the tanks as I fall asleep. One little different noise and Im up to find out whats wrong :(

My little 100 gph powerhead is almost silent, but having it in my bedroom, I can still just barely hear it when I go to sleep. I spent the night at my grandparents house last weekend, and it wasn't the bed, or the room, or anything like that, but the fact that I couldn't hear the filter or my goldfish grazing that kept me awake. Just listening to them is soothing, even when the lights are all off and I'm not watching them anymore.

Me too! I can't sleep good without hearing the trickling of water from my beta's tank. That and a fan....I always need a ceiling fan or a clip-on fan blowing on or around me in order to sleep good....