Emergency Help

Guest mommy218

Guest mommy218
:cry1 I am new to this site and really desperate. I have 3 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank. I noticed a couple days ago that one of them seemed to be acting a little off, (eg.. really not swimming, just laying there, laying at the bottom) I tried calling the pet store and they said to take out half the water and refill it and add tank buddies start right tablets and said it should be fine. But OMG its so not!!! My poor fish is just laying there, barely moving a fin, he has black stuff on him and he aint eating. the only time he comes to the top is when the air bubbles move him up. I had a fish die a couple of weeks ago and couldnt figure out why so I cleaned the whole tank and treated the other fish with a fungus tablet as per the pet shop. I feed them tetrafin goldfish flakes and I really love my fish and I think this one is going to die. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE I DONT WANT TO LOSE MY FISH.... :(

You've come to the right place for help. First of all, can you give us a bit more info? How long has your tank been running, what kind of goldfish do you have (common or fancy), what type of filter, etc. (Essentially, answer as many of the questions above as possible).

Without any more info I can tell you that you have far too many fish in too small of a tank (I'm sure they told you what you have is fine at the pet store...we've all been there). Comets (regular) goldies need at least 20 gallons per fish, fancies need at least 10. So obviously, you need to either get rid of 2 fish or get a bigger tank, asap. If you're in a bind, a large rubbermade container can do the job :)

In the meantime, yes, change at LEAST 50% of the water, I'd recommend more like 90%. You're probably seeing the effects of waste build up, the black marks you describe are signs of ammonia burns. Ammonia comes from fish waste and in high levels is very toxic.

I'm sure we can give you a lot more advice, we just need a bit more info from you.

Hon, it would really be helpful if we could get some info from you. As many of us have found out, and so are you, the people at the pet stores are not the best advice givers for fish. If you could answer as many questions as possible from the box at the top of the page, we'd be glad to help you get straightened out with your tank.

And if your fish has passed away, we can help you get your water right for the next one, and this one will have a better chance. Please don't give up on fish-keeping. We've all been where you are at the beginning.

• 2 weeks later...