Modern Times

daryl

The new Big Box Store near my house has an automatic water mister to

keep produce fresh. Just before it goes on, you hear the sound of thunder and

the smell of fresh rain.

When you approach the milk cases, you hear cows mooing and witness the scent

of fresh hay.

When you approach the egg case, you hear hens cluck and cackle, and the air is

filled with the pleasing aroma of bacon and eggs frying.

The veggie department features the sound of a gentle breeze and the smell of

fresh buttered corn.

I don't buy toilet paper there any more

:rofl2 That is really going too far.

One of our local grocery stores has that thunder thing before the misters start spraying the produce. It actually took me ages to figure out it was supposed to be thunder. I just thought they had really rattly pipes!

Overkill. People are saying the economy is bad and we're spending money on things and technology we don't need...perfect example right here. I honestly don't want to smell stuff like that when I'm in a grocery store. I'm really sensitive to 'fake' smells and I would end up with the biggest headache in the world. Also, do vegetarians really want to smell bacon when they walk by?

That smell thing is just weird. It would be the kind of thing that my kids would get a kick out of, however.

I notice a lot of little things like that that are obviously directed at getting kids to say "Oh, Mom, can't we go to shop there? PUUULLLLEEEAAASE?" As a parent it makes me feel little manipulated and annoyed. :glare:

Is that for real!? I shop at "bargain" grocery stores (the kind where you bag your own savings) and they are too cheap for fancy stuff like that.

Oh, and it never fails, but those stupid veggie misters ALWAYS seem to click on when I'm trying to pick through the produce!

It is a joke - but, insanely drawn from and exaggerated from reality.

Yes - they do have the thunder and lightning sounds to warn you that the water misters are about to begin. If you fail to heed them and continue to shop, you will get soaked.

Yes, they do have the low sound of cows mooing next to the dairy case, and chickens clucking at the eggs. There are birds that chirp and the sound of breezes around the fresh vaggies that are displayed on the tables. Fans gently blow cool air all around (so cool that, the hotter it is outside, the heavier jacket I must bring just to shop. Today, I wore a fairly heavy jacket (94F))

Every table/case has a large flat screen tv playing produce and product ad5 every few moments, spaced out between visions of waving grain, green fields, happy cows/sheep/goats/chickens, fish in the sea, jumping salmon, oranges on the trees, etc. It is ridiculous!

Isn't it great what they are spending our food dollars on? :rolleyes:

LOL! I try to do most of our shopping at farmers' markets, too. I love them, and no waiting in line and reading tabloids like at the supermarkets. :)

I SELL at farmer's markets. I like being the famer.

:)

This week it will be an abundance of ripe blackberries.... picked fresh in the morning just as the sun warms the bushes. Anyone want some?

I am also baking 24 pies for sale, too. Blackberry pie, anyone?

This week it will be an abundance of ripe blackberries.... picked fresh in the morning just as the sun warms the bushes. Anyone want some?

:druel:druel:druel

:druel:druel:druel

How do blackberries look like? We have a lot of bushes with black berries (edible of course), that we don't know the name off

at our new place.

I wouldn't mind the recepy :)

Edited by Quasi

IF I get out to the bushes today or tomorrow, I shall take a picture. Generally, they look like thorny (or not so thorny depending on variety) bushes that run crazy wild. On each fruiting branch (last year's growth) you will have sets of berries running the length of the branch. They look like large black raspberries.......

I will publish a recipe as soon as I can get the time. That is one I have written down - not in my head. So much will depend on your particular berries - their sugar content. Very sweet berries need little sugar. Less sweet demand more. Very tart berries are best mixed with a sweet strawberry or raspberry to offset the tart and bring a true "berry flavor" to the pie or crisp or cobbler.

Taste your berries. Do you want to put sugar on them or are they so sweet you eat them from the bush? These we have are so sweet they just drip sugary juice. I do not use ANY sugar.

How do blackberries look like? We have a lot of bushes with black berries (edible of course), that we don't know the name off

at our new place.

I wouldn't mind the recepy :)

Here is a little picture of blackberries. In England we call the bushes brambles. I think in French they are called m?re de ronce, in Dutch braambes, and in German brombeere. (Not sure which language you speak?)

We had them growing wild in both California and England, and there was nothing better than going out on a summer day and eating them hot off the bushes. Made all the scratches we got worthwhile. :)

Those are not the same as the ones I thought they were, I thought you were talking about Blackcurrant. I always thought brambles and blackberries were different, oops. On the other hand a big part of the garden is overgrown with them so in 2 months we will be swamped in brambles. :D

btw I speak Flemish/Dutch

Guest Halloween

My friend lives in a studio apartment and her dryer announces that it's done drying clothes by issuing an ear drum bursting gravel-like HOOOOONK.

I don't hang around long when she puts clothes in to dry. Her dryer is like... The chihuahua of dryers, tiny but full of spirit!

I don't know if this is worth anything but the idea of walking up to a piece of broccoli and smelling a nice spring rain sort of reminded me of it. HAHAHAHA.