Algae Control

Guest chrisleung22

Guest chrisleung22

I would like to know on how to control the growth of GREEN algae & maintain the healthy growth of plants. Also, I change 1/3 of tank water per week, and the water looks slight green too. Does anyone have any advices ? I think that my questions may be asked by other people before. I appreciate if anyone can advise me on any available & relevant articles. Thanks for any advices provided in advance.

Edited by chrisleung22

Hi there,

There are a couple of ways that might help in controling the growth of green algae. The first thing you can do is manually scrape the algae off, which is best if you do it right before a water change, otherwise all the algae keep floating in the water (which is probably what you are describing; that can also happen without you having scraped). You can also get one or more bristlenose plecos (e.g. see this discussion and this page). Another way to make it harder for the algae is by giving the plants a boost (in nutrients), in a way that is only useful for the plants and not the algae, leading to an increase in the consumption of nutrients by the plants, which as a result become unavailable for the algae (that's the theory; someone else will have to explain the practical implementation though).

Guest chrisleung22

Dear Alain,

Thanks for your prompt advice. I'm more interested in the nutrients which are useful for plant only & not for algae. Should I try the Flourish Excel manufactured by Seachem ? Are there any other products which can be considered by me ? At that moment, the tank water's quality is acceptable (i.e. ph is 7 and nitrite is zero).

One thing to understand about algae is that it is the first plant life to grow in a new aquatic environment and the building block to more complex plant life. So, completely removing algae from the aquatic environment only causes the aquatic environment to think that it needs to start all over again by growing more algae. It will continue to restart and regrow algae first every time algae is removed completely. If you allow some algae to remain somewhere in the tank, the water will then "acknowledge" that it has done its job for creating a stable plant growth environment and will focus on growing more complex plant life. So, the best way to "control" algae, is to allow it to remain. Sounds odd, doesn't it? Even though algae isn't pretty, algae is good for a tank. It's good for oxygen, plant growth and it's a snack for our goldies. So, choose a rock, an ornament, something and don't ever clean the algae off of it. It's true, you will actually see the growth of algae subside, never completely disappear, but subside and stabilize, if you allow it to remain on one or two objects. Adding an algae eating fish is not always a great tradeoff because I, personally, don't think they eat enough algae to offset the considerable amount of fish that is being added to the water volume ratio.