Weird Thing Happened After Cleaning Tank!

Guest mommy5

Guest mommy5

:whatjust: I cleaned my 10 gallon tank and replaced the filter for the first time today (I've had it for a month). After I removed 1/2 of the water, I replaced the water with room temperature Aqua-safe treated water. After about 1 hour, some weird stringy looking (almost like spider web) stuff appeared on the plants and decorations. My 4 tetra seem fine.

What is this stuff???? Is it bad? Will it go away??

Any help/info would be appreciated!!

I've had that stuff on my silk plants, but it usually showed up if I hadn't cleaned in a while. I've never had it showing up after cleaning. I think it's some kind of algae.

Guest mommy5
That is a bit odd. What do you mean by replace the filter? Did you replace all of the media at once or just clean it?
I replaced the Tetra bio filter. It says it should be replaced monthly.

Guest mommy5
I've had that stuff on my silk plants, but it usually showed up if I hadn't cleaned in a while. I've never had it showing up after cleaning. I think it's some kind of algae.

Yeah, I'm thinking it is some kind of algae also. It seems to be gone today. Maybe the new filter took a day to clean things out that got moved around so much?

Thanks for your replies.

I replaced the Tetra bio filter. It says it should be replaced monthly

Could you give the exact brand/model of the filter? A lot of them say things like this, but if you throw everything inside your filter out you will crash your cycle ( http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...php?showtopic=3 ) and it will be just like starting all over again. Usually, rinsing filter media well in tank water is best.

Guest mommy5

Could you give the exact brand/model of the filter? A lot of them say things like this, but if you throw everything inside your filter out you will crash your cycle ( http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...php?showtopic=3 ) and it will be just like starting all over again. Usually, rinsing filter media well in tank water is best.

It is a Tetra Whisper Bio-Bag disposable filter cartridge for Whisper Power Filters.

Yes I've used the exact same one in my tropical tank :)

I didn't throw the bag away, I think the suppliers just want people to do that so they will buy more of their products. I would just rinse it well with tank or decholrinated water (tap water will kill the good bacteria). This way, you remove all the 'gunk' but leave the good stuff. Also, I wouldn't bother refilling it with carbon either if I were you. You really only need carbon after you've medicated the tank. What I did instead was put some extra media inside the bag. I used ceramic cylinders. They don't actually filter large pieces of waste like the bag does, but they provide more surface area for bacteria to grow.

Yes I've used the exact same one in my tropical tank :)

I didn't throw the bag away, I think the suppliers just want people to do that so they will buy more of their products. I would just rinse it well with tank or decholrinated water (tap water will kill the good bacteria). This way, you remove all the 'gunk' but leave the good stuff. Also, I wouldn't bother refilling it with carbon either if I were you. You really only need carbon after you've medicated the tank. What I did instead was put some extra media inside the bag. I used ceramic cylinders. They don't actually filter large pieces of waste like the bag does, but they provide more surface area for bacteria to grow.

Exactly. Don't listen to product companies. They don't care about your fish, they just want your money.