Bacterial Infection Or Parisite?

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 5.0 - 10

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.6

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7.6

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 20 gallons and has been running from Dec 10

<LI>What is the name and size of the filter/s? Aqua Tech 20-40 and a aqua tech 5-15

<LI>How often do you change the water and how much? every week 30%-40%

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 Fantail around 4 to 5 Inches.

<li>What kind of water additives or conditioners? cycle , aqua plus tap water conditioner

<li>Any medications added to the tank? yes salt

<li>Add any new fish to the tank? no

<li>What do you feed your fish? for now Medi-Gold , pro gold , gel food , flake food

<li>Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", No

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No

<li>Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? eating well and active

hey guys i havent been on this site for months :) so i wanted to say hi and ask a couple of questions...

Anyways I have 2 fantail they were fine until i moved them to a new place in my house , there water is always in good conditions i check there water every couple of weeks for ammonia ,nitrite and nitrate and everything looks good but just lately i saw that one of my fantail has white poop with some air bibble but not much so i did some reserch and i think he has a bacterial infection and maybe also a parisite infection since i see that hes darting sometimes in the aquarium ? so i started feeing him medi - gold for 3 days now i m also feeding my other fantail medi gold since there in the same tank. my question is should i do anything else? i already have 1% of salt in the water. should i add any other medication?

Hi Sally,

White poop with airbubbles can be a sign of a bacterial infection, but is not necessarily the case. Since you have already started a Medigold regime with both your fish, you absolutely must continue for the full 14 days. Without behavioral evidence of a parasitic or bacterial infection, I would not medicate any further.

Did you mean 0.1% salt? 1% is DANGEROUSLY high so I am really hoping that was just a typo. I would not salt any higher than this.

What is your goldfish's behavior like? Any changes?

Hi Sally,

White poop with airbubbles can be a sign of a bacterial infection, but is not necessarily the case. Since you have already started a Medigold regime with both your fish, you absolutely must continue for the full 14 days. Without behavioral evidence of a parasitic or bacterial infection, I would not medicate any further.

Did you mean 0.1% salt? 1% is DANGEROUSLY high so I am really hoping that was just a typo. I would not salt any higher than this.

What is your goldfish's behavior like? Any changes?

Hey thanks for replying yes i know about the 14 days i will that is a must i know and yes its 0.1 % of salt i did do a typo hehe. so u think i was just overreacting? i know my fantail is a little flashing right now if that is the right word for that im not sure if its the change in temp lately. i was reading on this site about there poop ive only seen twice that he pooped white.

I would say you jumped the gun a little bit. I'm excellently overcautious when it comes to my fish and prefer to pick the brains of everyone on this forum before I do anything.

The poop you described can also be a sign of stress. Any changes in your fish's environment lately? Also, you said your fantail is flashing a bit. Have you ever treated for flukes? Flukes, while they aren't necessarily outright deadly, can wear down your fish and weaken them. If they have a bad flukes load, the fight could be taking a lot out of them and causing the stress and the white poop. The salt should help with the flukes, however.

If you haven't ever treated for flukes, I would continue to feed MediGold, and then when you are done, salt to 0.3% and treat with Prazi.

I would say you jumped the gun a little bit. I'm excellently overcautious when it comes to my fish and prefer to pick the brains of everyone on this forum before I do anything.

The poop you described can also be a sign of stress. Any changes in your fish's environment lately? Also, you said your fantail is flashing a bit. Have you ever treated for flukes? Flukes, while they aren't necessarily outright deadly, can wear down your fish and weaken them. If they have a bad flukes load, the fight could be taking a lot out of them and causing the stress and the white poop. The salt should help with the flukes, however.

If you haven't ever treated for flukes, I would continue to feed MediGold, and then when you are done, salt to 0.3% and treat with Prazi.

yes that can also be stress i went to miami and when i came back i moved there tank from one place to another in my living room. ok i never understand what is flukes? i cant get prazi i live in canada i tryed b4 but i couldnt. i see sometimes that my 2 goldies say one place in the aquarium like there still if u know what i mean can it be something else? now im really worried :( how long should i treat with the 0.3% salt for 1 week or longer?

yes that can also be stress i went to miami and when i came back i moved there tank from one place to another in my living room. ok i never understand what is flukes? i cant get prazi i live in canada i tryed b4 but i couldnt. i see sometimes that my 2 goldies say one place in the aquarium like there still if u know what i mean can it be something else? now im really worried :( how long should i treat with the 0.3% salt for 1 week or longer?

here is a link to the fish sempai in Ontario Can , he can ship prazi to you :Dhttp://www.fishsempai.com/showproducts.asp?category=38

here is a link to the fish sempai in Ontario Can , he can ship prazi to you :Dhttp://www.fishsempai.com/showproducts.asp?category=38

Thanks for the website ... do u really think my goldies have flukes?

Is it safe to feed medi gold to my goldies and treat them with parasite clear? or is prazi better to treat them with? i cant get prazi for 1 week because i need to order it but parasite clear i already have and i can get it at wal mart if i wanted to? i also have aquarium salt in the tank should i do a big water change then add parasite clear? HELPPP...my goldies look like they hiding already...

Hi sally, are your fish flashing in between water changes or at water changes? Usually there will be at least 3 'symptoms' with parasites from the list below:

New fish

white coating/thickened slime coat

flashing/scratching

yawning more than twice in a day

twitching of face

spitting out food

white poop

bottom sitting/lethargy

hanging at the tank sides

How many of these do your fish have?

Hi sally, are your fish flashing in between water changes or at water changes? Usually there will be at least 3 'symptoms' with parasites from the list below:

New fish

white coating/thickened slime coat

flashing/scratching

yawning more than twice in a day

twitching of face

spitting out food

white poop

bottom sitting/lethargy

hanging at the tank sides

How many of these do your fish have?

thanks trinket for replying there flashing (one has white poop i only see it twice) and both is bottom sitting righ now at the back of the tree :( im worried i read that flukes is more dangerouse when the temp is warmer well its 84 F in the aquarium i only notice all these signs when the weather got warmer , there not flashing at water changes or neither between.

Edited by sally2007

Flukes multiply when the weather changes. Spring is a prime time for parasites. If you only have PC tabs I would use them now -certainly preferable to formalin and if you can't get straight prazi soon then they will do- you can keep the salt at one teaspoon per gallon. At 84 F you must make sure you have enough oxygen for the fish. Cool the top of the water with a fan, get extra splash at the surface by re-arranging your out filter pipe and if you have one add an extra airstone. Remember, fish will also bottom sit and huddle together if they have low dissolved oxygen levels in the water.

Flukes multiply when the weather changes. Spring is a prime time for parasites. If you only have PC tabs I would use them now -certainly preferable to formalin and if you can't get straight prazi soon then they will do- you can keep the salt at one teaspoon per gallon.

Thanks i will go right now and put it in there tank... its not dangerouse to use medi gold with PC tabs? when i do get prazi can i use that on them well i know i have to fin the PC tabs first and then do a big water change.

Could you not have prazi shipped overnight? That would be best..

nah i cant the only website that i trust is mops.com

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/sk...a45b+1214709963 thats the prazi pro the liquid but they dont ship overnight i wish they did ...<LI>Ingredients: Oxybispropanol (as an inert solubilizing agent) and

<5% Praziquantel by weight. thats the thats the ingr they have in it is it the same as the powder?

Yes it's the same just made into a soluble/liquid form with the agent.

Better go with the PC tabs then if the prazi will take a week. The salt you are adding is just over 0.1%. That's fine.

You must remember that all the meds are going to rob the tank water of oxygen. That's an extremely important concern at 84F.

Yes it's the same just made into a soluble/liquid form with the agent.

Better go with the PC tabs then if the prazi will take a week. The salt you are adding is just over 0.1%. That's fine.

You must remember that all the meds are going to rob the tank water of oxygen. That's an extremely important concern at 84F.

oh i forgot to tell u that there gills look a lil red sould i be concern ? thanks for telling me that i forgot i will put the bubbler in the tank :) thanks a bunch :)

Bright red? Gills should look red. If they start to look pink or brown you need to worry. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I did the PC tabs and i think they worked but now there both at the bottom of the aquarium bottom sitting all day long i dunno if its the weather its 86 f i know its too high i changed the water 50% but that didnt cool down the water i also did 50% water change on friday and i am worried i have the fan running on high around the aquarium all day and i also got some ice frozen in a plastic bag in the aquarium and no change i have the top of the aquaium off and im checking the aquarium every couple of minuts I order the prazzi pro and im waiting for it i just salted the tank a lil over 1% please help.....

warm water will slow a fish immensly ..are you saying it is 86 in the tank ?? the fan blowing on them should only cool the water and really not bother them at all do you have lots of aeration ??? the warmer the water the less 02 so possibly drop the level of the water down a bit so the filter breaks the surface making lots of dissolved o2 and add another airstone if you can .. :) ..

warm water will slow a fish immensly ..are you saying it is 86 in the tank ?? the fan blowing on them should only cool the water and really not bother them at all do you have lots of aeration ??? the warmer the water the less 02 so possibly drop the level of the water down a bit so the filter breaks the surface making lots of dissolved o2 and add another airstone if you can .. :) ..

yeah i know that about the warm water its actually 82 now i had the fan running all day in the aquarium i added salt and im waiting for the prazzi pro is there anything else i can do b4 that comes?