Lulu Has A Hole In Her Wen!

Usually its one eigth of a teaspoon per 5 gallons & so quarter of a teaspoon per 10 gallons- if there is bleeding I would add much less.

I would imagine you have 5 gallons -and halve the dose because of the bleeding. So- one eigth of a teaspoon total for the 10 gallon tank.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually its one eigth of a teaspoon per 5 gallons & so quarter of a teaspoon per 10 gallons- if there is bleeding I would add much less.

I would imagine you have 5 gallons -and halve the dose because of the bleeding. So- one eigth of a teaspoon total for the 10 gallon tank.

:rofl ...your lucky I have 1/8 of a teaspoon!!!! My spelling is 10x better than my math!!!...changing out the prazi now ..not to mention I almost manually killed LuLu myself..I did not tighten the motor part of the filter so I had a slow leak , I will never complain about the slight slant in my kitchen floor ..all the water rolled my way at my feet from acroos the room!! :D

My spelling is 10x better than my math!!!...changing out the prazi now ..

:rofl I know it is confusing, and Im exactly the same. I mean we dont even get those measure spoons you have in the US and I'm like "is this one eighth? And using a tiny knife to cut the salt into 8 pieces and then throw away 7...or whatever it is :wacko: Prepackaged chunks would be so much easier!

Sorry about the filter happening. It happens when we panic or are worried....stay calm. Hang in there. Lulu is :)

:heart

If they've been flushed out by the prazi (it does that) they should die soon. If they dont...they're not planaria are they (clinging to the sides of the tank).

no.. for sure a worm ..they move along the bottom and are clinging to the food I put in for her (one was hanging on to 3 peices of small pellets while it was being sucked up by the gravel vac :yikes almost looks like a pin worm ..not sure if it's a tape worm she is expelling a lot more while I type :unsure:I'm thinking better out then in???...they keep crawling on her

Edited by hi-d

Yep that's excatly what they are- they'll be pinworms and the prazi will have disrupted the colony and flushed them out. This explains the bloat and the bleeding too maybe. The prazi plus MMs should take care of them. If not you'll need a de-wormer food. Tapeworm are much longer..pinworms usually only about 3-5 mms.

You need to get them out of the water because they breed and reinfect. The very best way to kill them off is to make sure there is no food in the tank for them. Once flushed out they cannot get back inside Lulu but their babies/eggs can. Pinworms need feeding constantly. They attach to necrotic tissue. They cannot last more than a few hours without some kind of food. So starve them out. No food for Lulu too.

poor Lulu ..now I have a thousand Questions .

LuLu is a bottom sitter since I had her and scoots around will pinworms cause this??

will the heavy load of worms cause her to tip ??

will she be upright after she is better ??if she never swims agin that is fine her scootiness is cute

should I treat the other tanks obviously twith prazi ..but with dewormer food aswell??

will salt kill any eggs and babies out in the water before they can get back in???

should I change the water 100% daily ??she is in a strictly in barebottom tank

sorry for all the Q's

So you got a couple of issues going here. First, its likely she has carried pinworms for a long, long time. They can cause the fish to bottom sit and tip to one side. Pinworms are extremely infectious. You know when you see fish suck up poop off the bottom and then spit it out? That poop will be full of worm eggs if there is an infected fish in the same tank and thats how they get inside the other fish.

You need to treat the water with prazi and get a de-worming food for all the fish. Jungle antiparasite covers you for 3 different kinds of worms but it contains metro which you dont need with MMs. So you could get that for the other fish.

For Lulu, I wonder if just 100% water changes, starving out the worms, MM course and prazi again is not enough. Internal worms you see are not the priority issue here. Clearing any bleeding and infection and hexamita is. That must come first. Salt will disable and slow down worms and maybe stop them reproducing and entering the fish but it wont kill them.

You cannot use epsom + reg salt.

If money is an issue, feeding garlic or food soaked in garlic will flush out pinworms (not kill them but flush them out).

ok so I will grab the anti parasite for the rest of the fish not a prob ..I know the 2 salts don't mix I was going to phase out the epsom with the daily water change and add reg salt while she is on the metromeds..when should I add back the prazi within 3 days or until the MM's are done for Lulu ..I hope I'm not missing anything ... :unsure: ...Thank Trinket you are a HUGE help!!!! :heart

Oh no! Please hold on Lulu! I really, really hope the meds come with your mail today, Heidi. I will be looking for your updates all day.

I have never heard of pinworms in goldfish. Trinket, did Lulu get them when she was living in the pond? Other than Prazi forcing them out and being able to see them, what are symptoms of pinworm infestation? Is this rare, or is this something that goldfish should be treated for routinely/preventatively?

LuLu is gone :cry1 ....she did hang on till I got up .today is going to be a very hard day I can't even bring myself to take her out of the tank yet...I want to thank Trinket for hanging in there with me and Kristen your act of kindness I will never forget!!! :heart and for everyone elses thoughts.. :cry1:heart

Oh Heidi, I am so, so, so sorry. If only I had offered to send the meds last Wednesday instead of waiting until Friday. Maybe you could have gotten them by the end of the week and maybe she would have survived.

:bye2: Goodbye precious Lulu. I am so sorry we couldn't save you.

Oh Heidi, I am so, so, so sorry. If only I had offered to send the meds last Wednesday instead of waiting until Friday. Maybe you could have gotten them by the end of the week and maybe she would have survived.

:bye2: Goodbye precious Lulu. I am so sorry we couldn't save you.

oh Kristen :cry1:heart I think to many things were going on all at once God only knows what else ..when she died she dropped one egg ..I still have suspicions of egg empaction plus the other things and it was all too much at once ..if she was eggbound there would of been nothing we could of done ...as of now I'm going to treat the rest of my tanks with Prazi and dewormer ...Kristen you guys did WAAAAY more than you know !!!! and Lulu and I will be forever greatful..she is at peace now with her soulmate Tucker :heart

In retrospect, do you think that Tucker had the same problem? I don't remember all the details with him, but he had bleeding from his wen too, didn't he?

Now I am worried that my fish could have pinworms, as well. Winston, Pepper, Ziggy and Scrappy came from the big pools at Tommy's. Scrappy is thin and isn't plumping up as fast as I had hoped. Trinket, how common are pinworms in goldfish? Should I treat before I see actual symptoms? Do they need internal dewormer, or is prazi enough?

oh noooooooo! Oh I really didnt want to hear this :cry1:cry1 I am going to cry.

Oh goodness this is awful. I really thought she would make it. Oh the poor darling, she must have been so infested and messed inside. The bleeding is always a big worry and I didn't want to alarm you by saying so. I am so very sorry Hi-di I feel I could have helped more, thought of pinworms before...all the ifs.. :cry1

Pinworms by themselves are not usually fatal. But they carry inection inside the fish and Lulu was obviously sick for quite some time and more seriously than anyone could have known.

I am so sorry Hi-di.

Yes fish from ponds should really be fed a de-wormer on arrival - you'll know if there are worms usually if you treat with prazi, some of them usually come out.

well Tucker started with popeye..and he did start bleeding fromthe wen ..they were previous tank/pondmates with the old owner so it is possible ...only he did not have open sores on his wen and just got ill one day and died the next ...I did not have problems until the weather got warmer ..I hope Trinket comes on soon to, I too would like to know how common worms are in a fish and if it should be a preventitive treatment or only done when a fish is infested with them ..some of my other fish have been in contact with lulu so they most likly have some .but I don't think the worms killed her it was just another thing to add to her already exsiting troubles...

oh noooooooo! Oh I really didnt want to hear this :cry1:cry1 I am going to cry.

Oh goodness this is awful. I really thought she would make it. Oh the poor darling, she must have been so infested and messed inside. The bleeding is always a big worry and I didn't want to alarm you by saying so. I am so very sorry Hi-di I feel I could have helped more, thought of pinworms before...all the ifs.. :cry1

Pinworms by themselves are not usually fatal. But they carry inection inside the fish and Lulu was obviously sick for quite some time and more seriously than anyone could have known.

I am so sorry Hi-di.

Yes fish from ponds should really be fed a de-wormer on arrival - you'll know if there are worms usually if you treat with prazi, some of them usually come out.

Trinket I had good hopes to last night she was really perky and seemed content but I guess somtime last night things took a turn for the worst ..she was sooo pale this morning and when she died she dropped one egg and her colour came back it was very strange ...but she looked at peace :heart ..I left her in the tank for a good hour to be sure she was really dead these things tend to only show themselves when they are at there worst for me.. and I'm sure the warmer waters is a hotspot for these nasty bacterias to multiply like crazy

Absolutely. And its funny but I have noticed over the years of keeping fish and seeing fish die that they do have a last happy peaceful time before they pass. Its weird. Almost like they accept or know. So I understand how she seemed calm and you were hopeful. But as you say, she had quite a few things going on and the warmer weather surely accelerated it all.