Filter Question

Guest kendon11

Guest kendon11

I am having trouble getting my pond to clear this year. My water is kind of brownish, not green really. Just dirty looking. I have a Sunterra pressurized bio-filter. It seems to me that last year I used just that filter and had good success.

I've had to put my pondmaster filter back in and within 3 hours it is clearing the water. I hate using that one since all the gunk runs out into the water when you lift it to clean the media.

I'm wondering if I am using too strong a pump with the bio filter. It is a waterfall pump that is 3500 gph.I'm thinking that the water is coming through too fast to clean it and start the bio process.

Anyone have ideas on this?

I checked tonight and most of the params are in the safe range. Only thing that is off is the ph is high. I believe ours has always been high since we started ponding. The fish seem happy and healthy right now anyway.

I am having trouble getting my pond to clear this year. My water is kind of brownish, not green really. Just dirty looking. I have a Sunterra pressurized bio-filter. It seems to me that last year I used just that filter and had good success.

I've had to put my pondmaster filter back in and within 3 hours it is clearing the water. I hate using that one since all the gunk runs out into the water when you lift it to clean the media.

I'm wondering if I am using too strong a pump with the bio filter. It is a waterfall pump that is 3500 gph.I'm thinking that the water is coming through too fast to clean it and start the bio process.

Anyone have ideas on this?

I checked tonight and most of the params are in the safe range. Only thing that is off is the ph is high. I believe ours has always been high since we started ponding. The fish seem happy and healthy right now anyway.

You did not say what size pond you have. I have a 3500gph waterfall pump in a 1000 gallon pond and it works well, it does not seem to be too much water volume. Have you tried some sort of "Ecofix" pond cleaner? I have used the PondCare brand and it seems to do a good job (I have not tried others).