Needs

MACBOOK96

what is the main need of a comet goldfish that most people miss?

Water volume. A common/comet can easily get to 18-20 inches in length. The minimum they can live easily in is at least 20 US gal. per fish.

Uh-oh, then I guess I am overstocked. I have had my 4 commons/comets in a 46g for close to 5 years. I've probably been lucky so far. I do have a combined filtration at about 21x per hour, once a week water changes, so that is probably part of why I have been able to get away with it for as long as I have.

I basically keep fancies however to me there is nothing more beautiful then a fully grown comet or shubunkin

My thoughts exactly :D

Then I ought to post some recent pics of my 2 comets. They are quite beautiful, paticularly Ariel

Is she the one I referred to in this post? If so, I must reiterate: my thoughts exactly!! :P:rockon

She's the one. Ariel is actually a male (First breeding stars about 2 years ago), but I have gotten so accustomed to the name that I have never changed it. He is one of my 4 nnnnnnn "rescue" fish.

Edited by br553

She's the one. Ariel is actually a male (First breeding stars about 2 years ago), but I have gotten so accustomed to the name that I have never changed it.

Actually Ariel is sometimes also used for a male (don't know if you know the book Dan Simmons' Olympos), and it's a name worthy of such a beautiful fish, so don't change it :)

He is one of my 4 nnnnnnn "rescue" fish.

Where did you rescue him from?

Uh-oh, then I guess I am overstocked. I have had my 4 commons/comets in a 46g for close to 5 years. I've probably been lucky so far. I do have a combined filtration at about 21x per hour, once a week water changes, so that is probably part of why I have been able to get away with it for as long as I have.

I'm also a little bit overstocked. 5 comets in a 70 gal but most are still under 2 inches, except my godzilla she's between 4-5 inches. I do a 30% WC weekly and have a combined 12x filtration an hour. So far my params are very good. Nitrate always between 15-25 (I have nitrates in my tap *sigh*). I clean out both filters every month. I have to admit that I have no idea how much my fish will grow in the future, they might be a bit stunted as they are rescues. But so far all of them have grown at least halve an inch in the past 6 months :D

Edited by Quasi

She's the one. Ariel is actually a male (First breeding stars about 2 years ago), but I have gotten so accustomed to the name that I have never changed it.

Actually Ariel is sometimes also used for a male (don't know if you know the book Dan Simmons' Olympos), and it's a name worthy of such a beautiful fish, so don't change it :)

He is one of my 4 nnnnnnn "rescue" fish.

Where did you rescue him from?

I'm not familiar with the book you mentioned, but I did get the name from my sister that said he reminds her of Ariel from "The Little Mermaid"

I got Ariel, along with Ed, Beavis and Butthead from a local Wallyworld. I say rescue because Ed, Beavis and Butthead were sold as "feeder" fish, about 12 cents each. Sadly, many common goldies end up as live food for other animals or are kept in substandard conditions. Ariel and my departed shubie Fuzzy were from the same store but crowded in a 10g tank along with about a dozen or so other comets and shubies. I think there was even a couple of tiny koi in the tank also.

100% agreement. Fish-to-water ratio. Comets always seem to be the starter fish. And they're put in bowls. <sigh> I worked with a girl once who thought it would be "cute" to have a carnival as a birthday party and give away goldfish in cups. Cups! She went out and bought 20 of them at lunch and kept those poor things in about a 1 quart vase for the rest of the day. It was all I could do to not give her the lecture.... and strangle her. She reported back 3 days later that all the people she gave them to said they died. Surprise surprise.... and all she could do was curse the store for selling her sick fish... whatever... So, yeah, size of tank. MINIMUM 20 gallons of water per single tailed goldfish.

That is how my niece got her 2 gf. I've explained basic goldfish needs. But I think she didn't believe that such tiny fish need so much space. So unfortunately they died not long ago. :(

No one EVER believes you if you try to help them to take care of gf properly. WHY would anyone go out of their way to pull the leg of someone they don't know, or even someone they do know by trying to cause them all these extra problems to take care of goldfish. :idont Yeah, my daily goal is to find someone to BS and make them go crazy by telling them they need to take all this extreme and unnecessary care of goldfish.... and funny thing is, the people who won't listen the most have never kept goldfish before AND they usually will tell you so, but somehow, they still know more than you.... I find that astonishing... :madrant okay... I'll climb down off my soapbox now.... sorry, she said sheepishly.... :ignore