Goldfish Bullying

Guest sam78

Guest sam78

Please help, I am very new to keeping goldfish, We have had 2 common goldfish for about 6 weeks now and they seem fine, yesterday brought a telescope goldfish, pet store said they should be fine together but the other 2 keep bullying the telescope. This morning i came down to find the telescope stranded on top of the filter, have taken the other 2 fish out for most of the day and the telescope seems to have settled down, rearranged the tank and have now put them back so just waiting to see what happens. Any suggestions and help would be greatly recieved. Thanks

Guest sam78

OK Thanks, I wish they had told me that at the store yesterday rather than having to stress the poor fish out, perhaps we can get another tank for him and get him a friend the same as I have taken a real liking to him. Should I get the same (Telescope) or can i mix him with other fancy goldfish??

You don't mention how big your tank is, but one thing that can cause aggression in goldfish is not having enough space. Commons and comets generally need at least 20 gallons each. Fancies need 10 gallons each minimum. Given the right conditions most goldfish can grow very large!

When I started keeping fish, I tried to put two commons in a 10 gallon tank, and they bullied each other mercilessly. :(

I've never had a telescope, so I can't advise what fish they are best kept with, but hopefully someone else will chime in. Putting it in a separate tank would probably be best.

First rule, never, ever trust anything a fish store tells you, not even the non-chain local fish shop until you at least get to know them and have knowledge yourself so you will know if what they're saying is correct and definitely not the chain stores.

Second rule, single tail goldfish and fancy goldfish should not be kept together. Even more specifically, fancy goldfish with specialized eyes should not even be kept with fancy goldfish with regular eyes.

Next rule, single tail goldfish need a minimum of 20 gallons of water per fish. You have two comets. You are going to need a 40 gallon tank. Yes, if they're small, you'll be able to get away with both of them in a 10 gallon for a short while, but not long. They grow fast. So, if you don't want to keep buying larger and larger tanks as the fish grow, buy the 40 gallon now.

Another rule, fancy goldfish need a minimum of 10 gallons of water per fish. So, if you want to get a friend for your telescope, you'll need a 20 gallon tank.

These water volume rules are like this because of the vast quantities of ammonia goldfish emit, the way a goldfish grows and that it may be stunted if kept in too small a tank and, perhaps in your case, aggression. Survival of the fittest. A comet is much faster and stronger than a telescope.

Next rule. Get test kits, drops, not strips, for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph. Test every single day until your tank cycles.

Rule seven, eight, nine, etc., etc..... there is much to know about how to successfully keep goldfish. Fish-to-water ratios. The nitrogen cycle. Water testing. Proper water changes and tank maintenance. Proper feeding. Identifying and treating diseases. You can learn a lot from reading all the articles posted on Kokos, so check out as much as you can.

And, welcome to Kokos! We are here to help in every way we can and are happy to do it! :welcome

Edited by lynda441

Oh, and I forgot filtration. Goldfish need filtration that runs 10 times the water per hour as the size of the tank. In other words, if you have a 10 gallon tank, you need a 100 gph filter. A 20 gallon tank, a 200 gph filter, etc.