Question

if a fish did have fin rot how would you cure it

Hi Macbook,

That would depend on what kind of fish and what is causing the rot. There is a list of questions at the top of the page that would be helpful if you could fill them out and post them. Once they are posted, then a moderator can help you better.

uh sorry i have a 2 and 1/2 tank i change the water every two days i did have two comet goldfish but Olivier passed this morning :rip: he didnt have any blood or anything yesterday i did notice that he was swaying but i changed the water and he was fine but my other goldfish Harold i think has fin rot and i didnt see any eyes almost poping out or anything no salt nothing

uh sorry i have a 2 and 1/2 tank i change the water every two days i did have two comet goldfish but Olivier passed this morning :rip: he didnt have any blood or anything yesterday i did notice that he was swaying but i changed the water and he was fine but my other goldfish Harold i think has fin rot and i didnt see any eyes almost poping out or anything no salt nothing

I'm sorry about Olivier. It's sad to lose a friend. The people here are very knowledgable about Goldfish and will do all they can to help Harold, but they need certain information. What you have posted helps a little, but not enough. Do you have a test kit? If not, then just answer the other questions like how old the tank is, how long you have had Harold, what you feed and so on. Give as much of the information listed at the top of the page as you can, then the moderators can help you.

i feed them both "top fin goldfish flakes" they always have eaten them the tank is 3 weeks old and both of them are 3 weeks old since i got them. i use "top fin wat declorinator." i have no filter. i sadly dont have a test kit which i plan to get all this stuff when i get a much bigger 40 gal. aquarium

i feed them both "top fin goldfish flakes" they always have eaten them the tank is 3 weeks old and both of them are 3 weeks old since i got them. i use "top fin wat declorinator." i have no filter. i sadly dont have a test kit which i plan to get all this stuff when i get a much bigger 40 gal. aquarium

I understand, and I will tell you what I know. I am not a moderator, I am just someone here who is also getting help and has a little knowledge, ok? Watch for a Moderator's post or someone like Acupunk. Keep watch for Koko, Pixiefish, Trinket, Lynda 441, and many others. You will know who the moderators are. Just look under their picture and it will say Moderator. Mine says Subscriber.

I have a Comet too. His name is Fishy and he is 10 years old. He is 5 inches long and lives in a 12 gallon all by himself. I am told that he is too big for this size tank and needs a 20 gallon now.

I know your comets are probably very small, but they are still very dirty fish and your tank is still in it's cycle stage. I think your Olivier died from NitrIte or NitrAte poisoning, especially since you don't have a filter to help with putting oxygen into the tank as well as developing good bacteria.

All is not lost. I would suggest that you do an immediate 50% water change. Be careful when you do this and make sure that the temp. of the new water is as close to what is in the tank right now. If you have a thermometer, use that to make sure. What type of container do you use for the clean water when you do your water changes?

Then tonight, do another 50% change. Do 50% changes every day. Salt might be good too, but wait until someone more experienced helps you before adding any salt to the tank. Right now you just need to get the water cleared of the ammonia and nitrAtes.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, just ask. I, or someone else will be by to check on you. :gcar:

Is there gravel in your tank? plants?

Hi and welcome to Koko's! You've come to the right place to help your fish. You will get a lot of good advice...it might seem like too much, but the people here really know how to help out.

I agree with Roni that you are probably having a problem with your water. The tank is really too small for your fish (it's good that you plan to get a 40 gallon). You should try to get that soon!

Goldfish are pretty dirty, so they need a lot of filtration (a good, big filter) and oxygen in the water (from an airstone).

Some things you really need soon are (1) a water test kit that uses drops (the strips don't really work good); (2) a bigger tank; and (3) a good filter that does 10 times the tank volume (so for a 40 gallon tank, a 400gph filter).

I also agree that you will need to do daily water changes (maybe even twice daily) to get your fish healthy and keep them that way.

Definitely stick around here and you'll learn a lot from really smart people!

thanks I dont have any plants i did have gravel but since yesterday I took it out

thanks I dont have any plants i did have gravel but since yesterday I took it out

That's good. Since there is nothing else in the tank then it will be easy to figure gallons per ratios. If gravel was in the tank you wouldn't have as much water and would need to take that into consideration.

Here's a link to the forum about setting up your tanks and taking care of goldfish. It really helped me.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...hp?showforum=35

today Harold seems stressed he's swimming around the tank (rapidely) and near His tail fin has blackish spots. i have a 2 and 1/2 tank no filter i feed Him top fin goldfish flakes i have no test kit i no grains of salt etc no bloody streaks i changed the water this morning

today Harold seems stressed he's swimming around the tank (rapidely) and near His tail fin has blackish spots. i have a 2 and 1/2 tank no filter i feed Him top fin goldfish flakes i have no test kit i no grains of salt etc no bloody streaks i changed the water this morning

I don't have any idea, but someone who does will be by soon. Don't worry. I was told to have patience several times these last few weeks, and they were right. Fishy is now on his was to a full recovery.

Just check by every so often. The people cruise through here at all hours, day and night. :) Hope that helps a little.

When you say a "2 and 1/2" tank, do you mean 2.5 gallons? If that's the case, your fish needs a much bigger tank. At least a 10-20 gallon tank. Goldfish are very dirty fish (lots of poo), and need a lot of water.

A goldfish really needs a filter, too. A filter helps to build up a "food chain" (or cycle) of bacteria that eat up ammonia from the fish waste. Plus, the filter helps to keep the water clear, and pick up some of the debris (uneaten fish food, fish poo, etc.) in the water. Filtration needs to be 10x the tank size.

The black marks could be ammonia burns. Ammonia can build up fast in a small tank, and can be toxic to your fish. Read more about the cycle of a tank here.... Cycle of an Aquarium

More people should be along to give advice. :)

Edited by Petperson04

I think a moderator will likely put your first thread about this with this one -- you should really keep everything in one topic so people can read through what advice has already been given (and then don't repeat the same stuff).

Basically at this point, like people have said, your fish is sick because of his environment. It is too small and the water is too dirty. There are things in the water you cannot see that are making him sick. A new tank, a new filter, a water test kit, etc. are the things you really need to get to help your fish.

(edited because apparently I can't spell!)

Edited by uberleslie

They're right Mac. How soon do you think the new tank, (a 40 gallon, right?) could happen?

I asked a friend to stop by and take a peek at what is going on. It does make it harder to help when people have to chase down the information that's needed.

Just stay calm. Do me a favor. It's sounds weird, but go and smell your tank water. Does it have an odor? Does it smell like something rotting? Like old dirty water even tho you just cleaned it? Can you discribe it back? That might help too since you can't test yet.

Stay on this thread and people will help.

Hello and welcome to the board. I've merged both your topics so that we keep everything together for you.

Well, the others have explained a little of why your fish have fallen ill . It probably seems quite a lot to take in all at once.

There are a few things to understand so that you can get on top of things.

First of all, you need to know that goldfish excrete ammonia from their gills and also through poop and any uneaten food in the tank. This is their waste product.

In a mature tank bacteria grow which eat this waste and make it safe for the fish. But in a new tank, the bacteria have not yet had a chance to grow and so the ammonia reaches very toxic levels, very quickly.

Ammonia can kill a fish fast and causes burns to the skin and gills.

Because of this you must change your water every day in order to keep it safe. All the things you describe a very typical of ammonia poisoning.

The next thing to know is that you need a filter; this helps keep the water oxygenated but also provides space for the good bacteria to grow. They will eat the ammonia and make it safe. You really need a good test kit to monitor your water chemistry so a drop test kit is what you need to get hold of. API, Hagen and Tetra make them.

Goldfish grow very large they need a lot of space not only to grow but also to prevent their water becoming fouled. A 2.5 gal is far too tiny for them and in this small space your problems with ammonia are made much worse, much faster.

So, you really need a bigger space. Until you get the big tank, you could manage with a large rubbermaid or clear plastic storage crate. This will be very useful in the future for quarantining new fish or using as a sick tub. Many of us here do just that.

I won't bombard you with any more info but here's what you must do to keep your fish safe.

1) Change all your water every day. Maybe even a second partial change at the end of the day. Always add dechlorinator and try to match the temperature as best you can.

2) Don't overfeed the fish as this will increase his ammonia output. Just give him a small pinch or whatever he can eat in 2 mins.

3) Try to get yourself a drop test kit for PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Maybe you could persuade your parents to help you?

4 Get a filter which runs at 100 gals per hour (maybe a fluval internal or something like that) and a 10 gal crate until you get your tank.

Post back and let us know how you are managing. The 2 links below my signature will really help you to understand the basics - make sure to read them, OK?

Mac, Pixie is one of the "gods" here. Listen to her. Despite common belief, goldfish are one of the most difficult fish to SUCCESSFULLY take care of. I would even argue with saltwater fish keepers that goldies are more difficult than theirs. And worse, it ain't a cheap hobby! lol! But, anyway, because of this, there is TONS to learn. But, DON'T be scared by it all. When you've done your job successfully and you have happy, healthy, silly, playful goldies, whoa!, what a thrill! Just take it one step at a time and keep moving forward. I've been keeping goldies, off and on, for almost 20 years. Most of the time, clueless as to how to do it successfully. But, since I found Kokos 4 years ago, I've exponentially learned how to do it better. A lot of patience and willingness to learn is required, so just ask questions, read threads and articles and be diligent. We love goldies and we love helping you!

thanks guys for merging my topics im gettiing used to a message board (I haven't been on a message board since i was 10) but today i noticed that Harold seems to be doing better i have started to change the water twice a day and tomorrow is the day that me and my Dad are gonna get my 40 gallon tank. and also i have been smelling my tank and it usally smells like "rotten eggs."

ya your right i learned that goldfish aren't easy to take care of at all!

So glad to hear that Harold is doing better. Keep up those water changes and test that water every day til it cycles (then once a week)! Best of luck!

Edited by lynda441

thanks guys for merging my topics im gettiing used to a message board (I haven't been on a message board since i was 10) but today i noticed that Harold seems to be doing better i have started to change the water twice a day and tomorrow is the day that me and my Dad are gonna get my 40 gallon tank. and also i have been smelling my tank and it usally smells like "rotten eggs."

That's so awesome that you're getting a 40 gallon tank! :hi5 Your fish is going to be so happy.

I know that the first few weeks of keeping goldfish are super-hard. After your tank gets cycled it will be SO much easier. Just hold tight and keep your water clean with regular water changes.

The fact that your water smells like rotten eggs suggests that there is too much waste accumulating and there is not enough aeration and water circulation. What kind of filter are you getting with your new tank? An Marineland Emperor 400 filter would be PERFECT and it would do a great job keeping the water moving around your tank. A bubble bar with an air pump would also be a good idea.

Keep us posted & have a great weekend.

GUESS WHAT.... my parents got me a..... 60 gallon tank and also sorry I haven't been here on Saturday when I got it but Sun. was busy! but Harold when i put Him in he seemed stressed and has gradually got better. he did eat. I got a top fin aquarium with a top fin 60 gallon filter and the python water hose thing. I plan (once He gets bigger) to get maybe 3 fancies or 4 maybe.

also.. how would i cure Harold's fin rot and the black spots that are on Him I think you guys called them "amonia burns?" and also my parents also got me a aquarium pharmisuticals test kit that has the ph, nitrates, amonia, and nitrites test, i tested them all and the amonia test had a reading as "2.0" and all the other tests came back as zero.

Congratulations on your new tank. How generous of your parents.

Ammonia of 2.0 is too high. This means that you need to do a large water change. Your new Python will make this much easier. Ammonia needs to stay below 0.5 ppm in order to be safe for your fish. This means that you need to remove and replace 75% of your water. Remove the water with the Python. Add enough dechlorinator to the remaining tank water to treat the whole 60 gallons. Then turn the bottom portion of the Python thingie that goes on your faucet. Adjust your water temperature to the same temperature as your tank water and directly refill the tank. The water will get dechlorinated as it flows into the tank. Don't forget your dechlor, however! Changing water like this with the Python is so easy, but the big risk is that you will forget dechlor and will poison your fish.

In order to heal the ammonia burns and the finrot it is essential that you keep your water clean and free of dangerous levels of ammonia, and later on nitrites. Test your water everyday for ammonia and nitrite. Right now it is not necessary to test for nitrate -- it will be a few weeks before you see nitrate in your water. Do you have a pH test? If so, what is your pH?

Do you have some aquarium salt? That would be helpful now too. Post back and let me know. If you do, I will tell you how to use it to treat your fishes' finrot.

the ph was "6.6" and i don't have aquarium salt