Goldfish Or Golden Salmon

Guest ian-heather

Guest ian-heather

Recently I have notice my Goldfish attempting to leap the waterfall to gain access to the top pond some 4 to 5 inches and nearly making it.

Is this normal ? they all appear healthy and continue to grow rapidly.

Has anyone else noted such behaviour ?

Goldfish enjoy jumping and playing in a waterfall the same way that some goldfish will play in the bubbles of an aquarium.

However, a more insidious cause of jumping fish is poor water parameters. Do you have a water test kit? Post your water parameters, including ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and temperature. How long has your pond been up and running? What kind of filtration do you have?

Guest ian-heather

Hello thoughts of joy and thanks for your response,

I dont have any test gear for water, there are two ponds one flows via forced pump circulation through a Laguna power filtraton system over a small waterfall or cascade the 2 ponds between them contain close to 300 imp galls of water for 9 medium sized goldfish there are resident wild puddocks and toads around most evenings.

The fish are growing rapidly and appear ridiculously healthy if a little fat, however the growing season is short here and winter is long so i feel this may not be such a bad thing, if I am incorrect please inform me.

The ponds surface area is 25% covered with living plants which grow well and pond is in its 3rd full year of existence the depths of both ponds varies considerably max depth 28 inches with marginal areas 1 to 6 inches, There is a good mix of structural hiding places made of slate and considerable choice for the fish of depth shade and sun.

I am not of the belief there is any problem however I will monitor more closely.

TY

Ian- Heather

Hello there Ian and Heather. :welcome

It could be that you have jumpers, some pond fish do jump for no particular reason.

I think what Joy was thinking is the pH changes that can happen when after the long winter an algae crash occurs (I just had one) and sends it plunging -or even the spring weather that brings with it parasites. These can make a fish jump. But if the fish are eating well and looking good and behaving normally otherwise, you may just have some excited spring fever type jumping :D

When I first put my goldfish into their pond about a month ago, they started playing in the waterfall, jumping onto the rocks where the water flowed. :D They had never seen such a thing before!

I was concerned, but they really seemed to be playing and enjoying their environment. Mine are fat little fish, too, and they seem to be doing fine, except that I think they may have gotten a scrape or two - which also doesn't seem to be slowing them down.

How big are your fish? Could they actually get out and get beached?