Guppies [pictures]

I've finally got my 2 tanks running with fish! :D (Kind of a big deal, since I've only had one 10-gal. tank to work with). Today, I got 5 guppies and put them in their 10 gallon home. It's a little barren at the moment, but I'll be adding an air stone and a small archway decoration. I'm excited to have new fish, and I'm surprised at how large and pretty they are.

IMG_2042.jpg

The whole 10-gallon tank.

Guppy1.jpg

I got 3 bright orange guppies, and 2 multi-colored ones.

Guppy2.jpg

You can see the spotted tail on one of the multi-colored ones. [Please excuse the bad water spots on the tank! :blink: Lol]

IMG_2067.jpg

A group shot (well, at least a picture with all 5 fish in it, lol). I was impressed, the guy at the pet store netted me some of the nicest fish from the store's tank! I'm still mesmerized by how bright they are, and how BIG their tails are!

And this is a picture of my 20-gallon tank. It has 5 danios and 4 neon tetras. I'm ~eventually~ going to add more neons and some cory catfish, too.

IMG_2056.jpg

Edited by Petperson04

I've finally got my 2 tanks running with fish! :D (Kind of a big deal, since I've only had one 10-gal. tank to work with). Today, I got 5 guppies and put them in their 10 gallon home. It's a little barren at the moment, but I'll be adding an air stone and a small archway decoration. I'm excited to have new fish, and I'm surprised at how large and pretty they are.

I got 3 bright orange guppies, and 2 multi-colored ones.

A group shot (well, at least a picture with all 5 fish in it, lol). I was impressed, the guy at the pet store netted me some of the nicest fish from the store's tank! I'm still mesmerized by how bright they are, and how BIG their tails are!

And this is a picture of my 20-gallon tank. It has 5 danios and 4 neon tetras. I'm ~eventually~ going to add more neons and some cory catfish, too.

Hi,

Good for you, I love guppies and your's are pretty. Since you have all males you don't have to worry about babies. Keep the water temp on the lower end of the scale if you can. Warm temps bring out the mating instinct and the males may get aggressive with each other.

Just wanted to send you a quick warning about cory cats and neons. If you want neons around for a while, I would keep the cats out. Once they get full size, (about 6 times the size of neons) they love to dine on the neons. If you like tetra's, keep an all tetra tank. Tetra are pretty delicate, tho neons seem to be more robust than other types. Plus cats and tetra's tend to prefer different water conditions. Cat's go well with live bearers, tho if you start seeing red spots or round red circles on the fish, that means you have an aggressive cat.

Have fun and enjoy your tanks. :)

Your guppies are very cute--you got real pretty ones there. I think you will be happy with them. I sure love watching mine since they are so active and playful.

Roni, I've never heard anything bad about cories before--are you sure it's not some other type of cat who attacks in that way?? I've had cories myself for 2 years and they have never bothered any other fish at all. You got me curious now! :unsure:

Normally cories don't get agressive, but some do. And yes, I am positive their favorite dinner is neons when they full size. Your's are adult now, but just like goldfish they will continue to grow for several years. I've seen them nearly 6 inches long and at that size they can do some damage.

Thank you for the compliments! :D

I've seen them nearly 6 inches long and at that size they can do some damage.

I've never heard of a cory getting that big! Perhaps we are talking about 2 different kinds of fish.... Corydoras_aeneus.jpg

That's the fish I'm talking about.

Thank you for the compliments! :D
I've seen them nearly 6 inches long and at that size they can do some damage.

I've never heard of a cory getting that big! Perhaps we are talking about 2 different kinds of fish.... Corydoras_aeneus.jpg

That's the fish I'm talking about.

That's the one. ROFL, No one ever believes me. I managed the freshwater dept. for a LPS years ago. One of our customers brought him in. He was an old fish, can't remember what age. Anyhow, this guy brings in this huge Cory cat and trades it in for some smaller ones. This guy tells me that this Cory ate all the other fish in his tank and everytime he adds new ones, this cat would eat them up again. The owner of the shop tells me to put it in with the small oscars so I did. Oscars are not timid fish and can deal some damage themselves. The oscars were maybe 3 inches in size. The next morning, all that remained alive in that tank was the Cory. "Killer" was then moved to the plant tank where he happily kept down the snail population.

(The Old man who owned the store allowed good customers to trade in full growns for smaller ones as they outgrew their tanks. He usually made pretty good money on the exchanges too.)

That's the story of "Killer, The Monster Cory Cat" ::chuckling::

Just wanted to send you a quick warning about cory cats and neons. If you want neons around for a while, I would keep the cats out. Once they get full size, (about 6 times the size of neons) they love to dine on the neons.

:blink:

I had no idea about this either! My sweet little cories could do that???? Who knew.

Well, there are a lot of cories in the world. Im sure there is at least one species that gets giant. Fortunately, most of the common ones (Aeneus, Peppered, Sterbai, Brochis Splendens, Pandas, Juliis, Metae, Skunks) max at 3" (Usually less, except for the Brochis, which maxes out at 5")

Edited by Kets

• 1 month later...

Think this may solve the Killer Cory mystery--

http://www.swfwc.org/ANS/Fish/brown_hoplo.jpg

http://www.sms.si.edu/irlspec/Hoplosternum_littorale.htm

The Hoplo is an armored catfish but is NOT a cory. This type of cat can get up to 8 in. long and breeding males can be agressive to fish other than their own kind. According to this article, anyway. So, cories are cleared of all wrongdoing! :thumb:

I had never heard of a cory getting that big either but when I was buying an emerald cory from my lfs the guy told me they get up to 6in long and he wouldn't have more than 2 in a 55g tank. I posted this before and nobody else had seen one that big so he might be mistaken.

but when I was buying an emerald cory from my lfs the guy told me they get up to 6in long ... so he might be mistaken.

Yeah, pet store people are generally not that helpful. You might occasionally find a knowledgeable sales person, but usually I don't trust them. I've read enough horror stories about them on here.