Finally Tested Kh/gh

So I finally broke down and got a KH/GH test kit because my pH keeps dropping after water changes. Here are my digits:

Tap:

KH - 35.8

GH - 89.5

pH - 8.8

Tank:

KH - 17.9

GH - 53.7

pH - 6.6

(1) Am I doing the test right? It's an API KH & GH kit and the instructions are less than specific. For KH I add a drop and shake the tube, repeat until it turns from a very faint blue to very faint yellow. For GH I add a drop and shake the tube, repeat until it turns a very faint green. (The colors are not bright like my other tests.) And then I use the same chart at the back to get the #s? What's the middle row (?dKH) for?

(2) I thought high pH was a characteristic of a high KH/GH? This doesn't seem the case for me.

(3) Why does everything get lower in the tank?

(4) I've been adding baking soda to keep the pH at 7.6, but am getting that this is a short-term fix. Can someone help me with a long-term one? (Do I need to add seashells, a buffer or crushed coral?)

Thanks!

Hi Leslie :)

I've never used a drop test for KH or GH, but I believe - at least with the KH, it gets "used up" if it's low... but I'm not certain.

To answer your question on what to do, I'm giving you a link to another post: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...ic=70530&hl=

Hopefully you'll have great results with that, as many people here have as well. :)

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

Debbie

You can use a media bag of crushed coral in your filter to raise the kh and gh slowly. This does not need to be added each WC as it dissolves slowly.

If you have any driftwood or bogwood in your tank that can lower the ph. Live plants that have leaves/stems that are starting to die and decay can have the same effect on the ph. I believe that if you don't have a good buffer in the tank then the bacteria cycle will also lower the ph.

I've never used a drop test for KH or GH, but I believe - at least with the KH, it gets "used up" if it's low... but I'm not certain.

That's right. I have the same drop test and it sounds to me like you're doing it right. Check out the buff it up at goldfish connection (koko just posted a review about it), that may help with your problems. I have really low kH and coral hasn't been cutting it. I bought something at my local lfs, it's a pH stabalizer/kH buffer which works well too (sorry, don't remember the brand name). I just add it during water changes, it raises the kH and the pH a little.

I think I'll purchase some of the Buff-it-up. I was thinking crushed coral, but I don't have that much room in my filter.

I was so hyped when I first moved into our new house in March because the pH was high (unlike our previous place)...I thought that meant I would have high/stable KH & GH too. Bummer!