Qting New Fish With Prazi

I am QTing some new trops I've just gotten. 2 mollies, 2 rasboros and a Chinese algae eater. I can't afford to order Prazi online right now, but have Jungle Parasite Clear which has Prazi as the main ingredient. Will this bump my cycle or hurt the existing fish? I will probably treat the whole tank just in case. I don't want to take any chances on flukes going from the new fish to the older ones.

Just remember when treating tropicals I think you have to have to halve the dose as they are so teeny and can't take as much. But it sounds possible otherwise.

PC tabs at halfdose should not bump the cycle but always check.

Wow, I hadn't thought about the algae eater, and thanks to both of you for answering.

Does anyone know if PC tabs have anything that will hurt a Chinese algae eater? Here's the list of the ingredients:

praziquantel; diflubenzuron;metronidazole; acriflavine

Except for the prazi, I don't even know what the other ingredients are.

Yeah, Crissy, he does seem to be scaleless, but I don't think the Prazi itself would hurt him. Salt, of course, would. Its the other ingredients in the PC that I'm more concerned about since I don't know what they mean.

The box does say that it is harmful to crustaceans such as shrimp and crabs.

Wow, I hadn't thought about the algae eater, and thanks to both of you for answering.

Does anyone know if PC tabs have anything that will hurt a Chinese algae eater? Here's the list of the ingredients:

praziquantel; diflubenzuron;metronidazole; acriflavine

Except for the prazi, I don't even know what the other ingredients are.

I have always steered clear of Chinese Algie Eaters. But I had a few moments and did a little web searching for you. Here's what I came up with. The diflubenzuron seems to be used as a pesticide. I dropped a link in for you to check out.

PRAZIQUANTEL (Biltricide?) is an anthelmintic. Anthelmintics are used for treating worm infections. Praziquantel is used mainly to treat fluke and tapeworm infections.

http://www.fluoridealert.org/pesticides/fr.diflubenzuron.htm

Metronidazole (pronounced /mɛtrəˈnaɪdəzoʊl/ ) is a nitroimidazole [[anti infective] medication used mainly in the treatment of infections caused by susceptible organisms, particularly anaerobic bacteria and protozoa .

Acriflavine is a topical antiseptic . It has the form of an orange or brown powder. It may be harmful in the eyes or if inhaled. It is a dye and it stains the skin and may irritate. Acriflavine-MS. Acriflavine-MS is an effective preventative and treatment for the control of Oodinium (Velvet) in marine and freshwater aquariums.

Hope this helps. Just curious tho, Why are you treating them if they don't show any signs of problems? I use to Qt my new fish for about three weeks without meds unless something showed up. If nothing showed by the end of three weeks, I added them in to the show tank.

Wow Roni, you are awesome for going to the trouble to research that for me, and I very much appreciate it! :flowers:thanks

I'm not nuts about the pesticide, and it does seem like there's a lot of ingredients there that I don't need. Kind of like using a sawed off shotgun just in case I see something, huh?

The only reason I considered Prazi is because from what I have read on here from other posters, fish almost always come from the lfs with flukes. Maybe trops are different, and I think I'll just keep a sharp eye on them and not medicate unless it seems necessary.

Thanks once again for your help!