Qt Question

my new (as yet unnamed) black moor is currently in QT, coming up for 2 weeks this saturday. i'm currently holding him in a 0.2% salt solution and that's it. he seems healthy, lively and with no signs of illness (alert, fins up, breeding stars showing). now, i'm not considering taking him out of QT any time soon (he was a chain store fish...) but do i need to increase salt to 0.3% if he's looking fine? is there anything else i can put in (can't get prazi as far as i know in the UK)? i know i asked some of these questions a while ago, but i just wanted to check again :) you can get this med called CEDEPRAZ in the UK now which claims to be 50% prazi, but it's quite expensive, and designed for ponds, so would it be hard to sort for a 47gal tank, or a small QT tank, do you think? sorry this is a bit rambly and confusing(!).

also, when the time comes for him to go into the main tank, do i need to DEcrease the salt solution again - my main tank runs with no salt, and i don't want the change in salinity to stress him out :)

Edited by alex

I don't know much about UK meds, but I would do Prazi if you can.

As far as the salt, my hunch is that you're okay where you are...but someone more experienced might have better advice.

And I would say to decrease salt gradually before putting into the main tank...I forgot about this when I ended quarantine, and I could tell it was shocking to Starbuck.

It's my understanding that you never medicate when you don't have to. One, meds are very hard on fish and there's no need to stress them out unnecessarily. Two, even if a fish did need medication, if you use the wrong med, it's not going to do any good. Until and unless you can identify a specific, particular disease happening, I, personally, wouldn't medicate. I'm told salt is fine as long as the fish is looking healthy. Increasing to 0.3% won't hurt the fish and it could stave off any heretofore unseen disease from getting worse to the point where meds would be necessary. As far as decreasing before moving to the main tank, I'm not sure on that so, I'd be interested to here the answer on that as well.

Edited by lynda441

It's my understanding that you never medicate when you don't have to. One, meds are very hard on fish and there's no need to stress them out unnecessarily. Two, even if a fish did need medication, if you use the wrong med, it's not going to do any good. Until and unless you can identify a specific, particular disease happening, I, personally, wouldn't medicate.

While I agree with this, I think in most situations of a new fish, people recommend treating with Prazi for flukes depending on where you get the fish from. Unless you have a microscope, you can't really know for certain flukes are present. And unless you have a serious infestation, it's my understanding that sometimes the fish's behavior isn't drastically effected.

I've seen several folks around here who always use Prazi in QT when they add any new fish.

I've only every QT'd one fish, so this isn't my area of expertise! :)

Edit: a link where folks discuss some of their routines: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...p;hl=quarantine

Edited by uberleslie

QT Proceedure

*Raise salt to 0.3% and have heat at around 78 or so. This will accelerate the life cycle of any parasites and help knock them out faster.

*Run Prazi for flukes which salt will not catch; this is the only med to use as a prophylactic due to the fact it is harmless and gentle to fish. (Most fish have flukes which may not present a problem initially, but can quickly get the upper hand should there be any stress or hiccups in tank management.)

*Watch fish carefully for any signs of illness or crustacean-type parasites like lice or anchorworm.

* Try to have filtration running at x 10 (x15 even better) and make very regular partial changes to throw out any eggs/larvae and keep water quality pristine.

*If all is well after 3 weeks or so, you can gradually reduce salt, make sure that you match temp and PH and move fishy into main tank.

Alex - I see you are in the UK. They are working on an aquarium sized dose for the CedaPraz (Prazi) - the package they currently have out treats a vast amount of water and is, as you say, very hard to dose when it comes to aquariums. I think even 1 gram treats 250 gals. However, I don't think it will be long before the smaller version is out on sale and in fact the sales rep has promised to keep me posted about it's production.

You could either wait for the new size and then treat the main tank OR use Pottasium Permanganate which is a little trickier but not impossible. I could help with this if you're interested.

What type of filtration ar you using for the QT?

Now, this is why I'm here on Kokos... I didn't know this. Learn something new everyday. Thank you!

i'm using a little fluval internal filter. i've also put an extra air stone in the (otherwise bare) tank. salted to 0.2% at the mo, temp at 78o. I'm checking and changing water every other day, all params good (0,0,10 or less). will up the salt tonight to 0.3%. no signs of external parasites at all.

i think i'll wait for the cedapraz - pp kinda scares me :unsure: but thank you for the offer of help. my main tank's not ever been treated for flukes, so when the cedapraz comes out i can treat the whole tank :)

It's my understanding that you never medicate when you don't have to. One, meds are very hard on fish and there's no need to stress them out unnecessarily. Two, even if a fish did need medication, if you use the wrong med, it's not going to do any good. Until and unless you can identify a specific, particular disease happening, I, personally, wouldn't medicate.

While I agree with this, I think in most situations of a new fish, people recommend treating with Prazi for flukes depending on where you get the fish from. Unless you have a microscope, you can't really know for certain flukes are present. And unless you have a serious infestation, it's my understanding that sometimes the fish's behavior isn't drastically effected.

I've seen several folks around here who always use Prazi in QT when they add any new fish.

I've only every QT'd one fish, so this isn't my area of expertise! :)

Edit: a link where folks discuss some of their routines: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...p;hl=quarantine

Maybe this comment by Trinket might be helpul.