One Nasty Case Of Ich

lynda441

Ammonia Level? .25

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 0 (new tank set up for quarantine, not cycled)

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 8.0(Increase in ph perplexing. Tank consists of colored gravel and natural pebbles substrate, two silk plants and one plastic/acrylic/unknown medium open back "cave." Period. No wood, peat, anything that sweetens water.)

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap? 7.5

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) API drops

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 10 gallons. One week.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? Whisper 5/15 HOB, carbon filter pad removed.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 95% daily.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? One 2" (includes tail) lionhead, one 2" (includes tail) calico fantail.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Pondcare Stress Coat with aloe vera.

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Currently at 0.2% salt solution. Increased from 0.1% approximately 7 hours ago.

[*]Add any new fish to the tank? Not applicable as these are the new fish in quarantine.

[*]What do you feed your fish? Gel food consisting of a small amount of medi-gold, Tetra-min flakes, baby food peas, baby food bananas, brine shrimp. Was basically a potpourri experiment.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Calico fantail, Tigerlily, has one nasty case of ich, clamped fins, some septicemia in fins, appears to have some on gill covers, and rather badly frayed fins. The lionhead, Peaches, exhibited only a very, very mild case of tail rot on the very edges of its tail fin and a small septicemic streak on tail fin last night. The tail rot has not progressed further today, however, there are now a few specs of ich on the tail fin and the streak remains.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc? Tigerlily hovers at surface usually, quite lethargic, but eats heartily when food is introduced. Gaunt/thin in body. Oddly, Tigerlily does not flash at all. Peaches currently is moderately inactive, hovering near bottom, but not bottom sitting. Peaches also eats heartily when food is introduced. Peaches still has nice body shape and fullness. As of last night, activity increased in both fish for a period of time after feeding.

I bought these fish a week ago Tuesday (6/17/08) and they have been in quarantine all this time. They appeared very healthy and doing well until last Saturday night (6/21/08) when the ich, in force, appeared. Tail rot did not occur on Tigerlily until after appearance of ich, but was very quick in becoming extremely ragged in only one day's time.

Because the water was not cycled, I had been doing about 70% water changes to keep ammonia down to a constant .25 ppm with light vacuuming of substrate. After appearance of ich, water changes have increased to about 95%-100% with vigorous vacuuming of substrate.

I did a 98% water change and thorough vacuuming of the tank, did a salt dip for both fish and then put them back in the tank with a 0.1% salt solution yesterday and increased the salt to 0.2% about 7 hours ago.

My question is, this ich appears to be very aggressive. The fish are going downhill pretty quickly so, I'm wondering if the salt treatment is just going to be too mild and I should move on to a more aggressive treatment with meds.

The other thing I'm wondering is that ich and tail rot are treated with two different meds, so can I add both meds at the same time or do I only concentrate on the ich for now?

Thanks!

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/lyn...erlillyIch2.jpg

Edited by lynda441

Hey Trinket,

If you pop on tonight, could you give me your feelings on this? Thanks sooo much!

Have you bumped up to 0.3% salt yet? Adding salt in 12 hour increments is mostly to save your filter bacteria from getting shocked. Because you have no biological filter and your fish are seriously ill, I would go ahead and go up to 0.3% salt now. Then see how things look tomorrow morning. Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.

I was going to do a water change and up the salt to 0.3% right now as a matter of fact. As an update, I just fed all my fish and Tigerlily has all but stopped eating. She made a couple of half-hearted efforts to try and I think she did get a couple of pieces, but she just seems too weak and out of it to go after food. Peaches is moderately lethargic and, compared to yesterday, her eating has diminished too, but she is eating, but not as actively and enthusiastically as yesterday. The biggest thing I'd like to try is to separate the two of them so Peaches doesn't get worse. But, doing this would require putting Leroy back in the main tank, which relates to my other post on here. Leroy's cyst is completely gone. He is eating very well and moving very well. He is playing in the bubbles, stays upright and isn't losing his balance. He appears very healthy. He's in a salt solution as well. He's only been in the quarantine tank since yesterday, but the cyst had already gone down almost completely when I moved him to the quarantine tank. Which relates to my last question on my other post which hasn't been answered yet, that is, if it had all but disappeared by the time I moved him, does that mean it popped in the main tank? It didn't appear to pop, at least as far as leaving a hole, blood or any type of mark, so could it just have "receded" without popping and emitting poison? But, one way or the other, I had a question about what I might need to do about any possible problems in the main tank? I won't move him back if I get advice to the contrary, but I also would like to separate Tigerlily and Peaches, so I'd like some advice on all of this.

Sorry, I think you need to wait on Trinket on this one. I don't want to tell you to move Leroy and have that be the wrong answer. Hope your other two fish perk up by morning.

I understand Acupunk... I'll be waiting for Trinket's advice!

Hello Lynda and sorry you've been waiting.

Well, in your position there are really two options. You do not have a cycled QT tank so...............

You can use salt to 0.3% which is a very effective treatment for ich. Even better if used tub to tub ie. move the fish out of the first bucket (when ammonia threatens to creep up) and into a completely clean and newly salted second bucket. Each time you toss the water you throw out all the cysts which have dropped from the fish.

The other option, which may be easier with a very badly infested fish, is to get yourself some zeolite /ammo-chips and an airstone for ammonia control and then treat the fish with Parasite Clear tabs. These tabs have the added benefit of a small dose of antibiotic to protect against secondary bacterial infection. The difficulty with such a heavy infestation is sometimes that the gill tissue is ravaged and that the fish cannot survive.

Fingers crossed for your fish.

Thanks Pixie... That's what I think I'm going to do. I'll keep Leroy in his qt tank, keep Peaches in the other qt tank (after a thorough cleaning) and move Tigerlily to a bucket. I'll get some zeolite /ammo-chips and an airstone for the bucket and then add some Parasite Clear tabs and and just constantly change the water. Thanks for your input! I'll keep in touch...