Does Fish Length Include The Tail?

Hhmmm, I think most usually say for example: "4 inches...not including tail" When I measure mine I always go from the tip of the snout to the BASE of the tailfin.

At a show, the length of the fish is stated as the length of the body to the base of the tail. Thus, a juvenile with a body length of less than 3 inches would go in the juvenile class and an adult over 3 inches goes to the adult class.

When people measure fish, they do it either way. As long as you state which way you are measuring, it makes little difference. If you are thinking for size of fish in a volume of water, you must consider the mass of the fish more than the length. Remember, the difference in mass between a Ranchu, from nose to tail tip and a Veiltail from nose to tail tip is EXTREME!

OMG! I have wondered this one myself! And clearly, we're getting about a 50/50 answer here. I, personally, don't think the tail should be included, but when you get answers like this, you can see how one would wonder. And I've never seen an ad selling fish, for instance, where they indicate whether the tail was included one way or the other. I think, at least as far as I'm concerned, when I'm wondering about length, I'm just trying to figure out if they'd be a good match, size-wise, for the fish I have now.

It's easier to include the tail when you're talking about short tailed fish only. But when a fish has a long flowing tail, it's not an accurate indicator of it's total body mass. So in the case of long tailed fancy goldfish, I never include the tail.

I've been wondering the answer to this question as well. I think I was even about to post it not so long ago but I thought I could figure out the answer just by reading. lol.. So far I've always including tail because it seems easier to measure. I think I undermeasure some of my fish though. I saw someone with a picture of their tank with a ruler next to the tank. I think I am gonna have to do that rather than just guessing approx inches. The theory of not including tail based on the long flowy fins makes a lot of sense though..