Wizz

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0.0

Nitrite Level? 0.0

Nitrate level? 10

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.0

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap? 7.5

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) Strips

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 30 gallons 5 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? Fluval plus4

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? once every 2 weeks 50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? two both 1.5-2"

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? tap safe & aqarium salt

[*]Any medications added to the tank? none

[*]Add any new fish to the tank? no

[*]What do you feed your fish? flakes and bloodworm and the occasional fruit & veg

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? orange/red on the base of the tail going into tail fin

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..? bottom sitting as if hes asleep in the corner.

Ok so i work nights when i get i just assume that Moomin is asleep, when i first noticed the change in his behaviour, on closer inspection i noticed a redness around the base of his tail fin, i assume its a parasite? But which one?

Its also only affecting the one fish in my tank, he has had worms about month and half/ 2 months ago, which was sorted by using Garlic. After that he was fine, he perked up great, but now we seem to have another problem.

Hi,

Just wondering, you said "[*]What do you feed your fish? flakes and bloodworm and the occasional fruit & veg"

Are the bloodworms live, dried or frozen? What brand?

Hi,

Just wondering, you said "[*]What do you feed your fish? flakes and bloodworm and the occasional fruit & veg"

Are the bloodworms live, dried or frozen? What brand?

They are freeze dried bloodworms and the brand is Interpet.

They are freeze dried bloodworms and the brand is Interpet.

Ok, thanx. That rules out my theory. I'm a newbie here, but the moderators and others on this website are wonderful. I know one of them can help you.

hi all like to add you can't see the redness when the light is turned off go figure that 1??

but when the light is on you deffantly see the red, it also seems to be sperading into the tail fin itself like its following the veins could it be the start of fin rot?

This is not a parasite I think. Peduncle (bacterial) disease enters in the place you describe. It usually starts pink/red -sometimes grey first- at the caudal peduncle and necrosis moves down through the tail as red streaks toward the end. The bacteria most commonly causing peduncle disease are opportunistic ones (=around in small numbers all the time in many aquariums) - like flexibacter and cytophoga. They attack when the fish is stressd or weakened and so peduncle disease is usually a secondary issue.

These particlar groups of bacteria are very temperature sensitive. Have you had a sudden rise in temp? Very high or very low will increase reproduction rates of these bacteria. (They die off at temps between 12 to 15C BUT increase at any temperature above or below this.) They 'bloom' in spring.

Can you see any yellow mucoid material on the skin and how long has Moomin been bottom sitting? (Just trying to figure how advanced the infection is). Any other symptoms like not eating?

It is very important with fin diseases to keep clearing the water of pathogens via water changes and filter media maintenance and to keep the nitrates as low as you possibly can.

This is not a parasite I think. Peduncle (bacterial) disease enters in the place you describe. It usually starts pink/red -sometimes grey first- at the caudal peduncle and necrosis moves down through the tail as red streaks toward the end. The bacteria most commonly causing peduncle disease are opportunistic ones (=around in small numbers all the time in many aquariums) - like flexibacter and cytophoga. They attack when the fish is stressd or weakened and so peduncle disease is usually a secondary issue.

These particlar groups of bacteria are very temperature sensitive. Have you had a sudden rise in temp? Very high or very low will increase reproduction rates of these bacteria. (They die off at temps between 12 to 15C BUT increase at any temperature above or below this.) They 'bloom' in spring.

Can you see any yellow mucoid material on the skin and how long has Moomin been bottom sitting? (Just trying to figure how advanced the infection is). Any other symptoms like not eating?

It is very important with fin diseases to keep clearing the water of pathogens via water changes and filter media maintenance and to keep the nitrates as low as you possibly can.

he had been bottom sitting for about 1 day before i posted, i saw no yellow mucoid, but i did have a temp increse over the last couple of day the weather warmed up quite a bit during that time.

but im sorry to say i got in from work this morning to find him dead (as in stiff as a board dead), i'm really gutted about it, he was so lively his eating was fine and, he swam about if he saw me go towards the tank, could anything you mentioned kill off a fish this quick? because my big consern now is my black moore, been black will i see any of this red appear on him?

he had been bottom sitting for about 1 day before i posted, i saw no yellow mucoid, but i did have a temp increse over the last couple of day the weather warmed up quite a bit during that time.

but im sorry to say i got in from work this morning to find him dead (as in stiff as a board dead), i'm really gutted about it, he was so lively his eating was fine and, he swam about if he saw me go towards the tank, could anything you mentioned kill off a fish this quick? because my big consern now is my black moore, been black will i see any of this red appear on him?

Wizz,

First off I want to say I am soo sorry for your loss. I'm a newbie here so I don't know what might have done it but Trinket will. Just wanted to tell you sorry.

Koko has mentioned in other recent posts that the warm temp have brought a host of problems. Most people here have mentioned this. I'm not sure if I am right about this or not, but isn't bacteria and parasites more active and abundant in warmer waters? Food for thought if I am right.

Take care and good luck with the moor.

Roni

• Admin

I have been noticing here in the US alot of people getting Bacterial infections on there fish due to the heat problems going on. In fact one of my fish started showing redness in her lateral line cause of the heat wave :(

Biggest thing to do for your fish when the heat starts or is on and you notice the temp on your tank has risen 3-5 degrees, is to try to prop the lid open and add an airstone and if you can get a fan to blow across the top of the water. This will help keep the water cooler for the fish, oh and also do little water changes this will also help :D