Biorbs

Guest goldfish4biorb

Hi there and welcome to Koko's.

Unfortunately I don't think that you're going to find many Biorb enthusiasts around this site. Actually, lots of people come here for help when their goldfish are sick as a result of living in Biorbs. :( I agree that Biorbs are cool-looking, but it is just about impossible to keep goldfish healthy in them for any amount of time.

Biorbs are not well-suited to goldfish for a few reasons: 1) They are not big enough. Each fancy goldfish needs at least 10 gallons of space and each common goldfish needs 20 gallons. 2) They do not have strong enough filtration. Goldfish need strong filtration that can only be supplied by a hang on back or canister filter(s) (I have three on my tank). They need their tank water turned over at least 10 times each hour by the filter. Biorbs don't do that. 3) They need more oxygen than the small water surface area of the Biorb provides.

I hope that you'll stick around here to learn more about the needs of goldfish. They are wonderful pets that can live long and healthy lives if they are given appropriate homes.

Guest goldfish4biorb

how come my goldfish are doing fine? :unsure: im confused. cuz 1 of my goldfish have been living in there 4 3 months and i just got a new one. :unsure:

Edited by goldfish4biorb

Well, there is a difference between a goldfish that is alive, and a goldfish that is alive and happy. What kind of goldfish is it? Is it a singletailed one, because if it is, single tails are much more durable than the fancys (double-tailed). Your goldfish is most likely stunted, and will not grow to its full potential, stunting is common for fish in small containers, if they manage to survive long enough to grow. Stunting causes a fish great pain as it ages, the fish stops growing but the internal organs do not. Biorbs are better for tropical fish, who tend to be smaller, less messy and need smaller filtration needs.

Guest goldfish4biorb

i think its a single tail but idk they both seem very happy .... but idk . how do u tell the gender of a fantail? :unsure:

I am sorry -- I really don't mean to jump on you. I know that you came here to make friends and to share photos of your goldfish, of which you are proud. It is great that you are involved in this hobby and that you care enough about your fish to provide them with an attractive home. But much more important than visual appeal is the safety and comfort of the home that you have provided for your fish.

Which size Biorb do you have? Even if you have the largest one, you are not providing your fish with enough space or enough filtration.

Single tail goldfish can take a lot of stress before getting sick. But then "all of a sudden" it becomes too much and they get very ill very quickly and it takes a lot of time and a lot of money to get them better (if they survive at all).

It is difficult to tell the sex of goldfish when they are small. As they get bigger and become sexually mature it becomes more obvious. But at this point I think you have other things to worry about.

Guest goldfish4biorb

um ok i have the 8 gal one and i wasnt intending on keeping a fish alive for 5 years or somthing i wish but im not very good at fish keeping yet . :( would a biorb life or biube be better because they just came out with a new tank called the biorb life its square so would that be better or a new tank?? :unsure:

Guest goldfish4biorb

im sorry i put this post up and i didnt want people to get mad or anything cuz i always hear diferent opinions on biorbs thats why i bought it i thought it was a good fish tank. im sorry.

Please don't say sorry. You are not making anyone mad. And we sure don't want to run you off -- Koko's is a great place and we would LOVE to see pictures of your fish. Almost everyone here came here with a goldfish set-up that was too small or with fish that were sick. You are way ahead of the game because your fish are still healthy!

From what I can see on the internet, the Biorb Life tanks are available in 4, 9, and 16 gallon sizes. The 9 and 16 gallon sizes are similar to "tall" tanks in that they are taller than they are wide and therefore have a small surface area (relative to the total volume of the tank). I am assuming that they have similar filters to the regular Biorbs.

If I were you, I would look at getting a regular tank with a separate hang on back filter. If you have two single tail goldfish you need at least 40 gallons. For two fancy goldfish you need 20 gallons. And you need a filter that turns over the tank volume at least ten times per hour (so 400 gallons per hour for the 40 gallon or 200 gallons per hour for the 20 gallon).

Especially if you look out for sales on filters, I suspect that you could get a set-up like this for about what you would spend for one of those sexy new Biorb Life tanks. Because they are not yet available I was not able to find any websites that quote prices, but I bet that they will be expensive.

I will say one thing about the marketing for the new Biorb Life tanks -- kudos to Biorb for showing these new tanks with the small tropical fish that are better suited to living in this type of tank. The marketing photos that I came across showed the tanks with eight or ten neon tetras, instead of the three or four goldfish that you see in the materials promoting the original sphere-shaped Biorb (which is what leads many people, like you, to believe that they are appropriate for keeping goldfish).

I agree with acupunk ..,don't feel that you need to say sorry :) ....we all truly had at one point overstocked undersized tanks ...thats why there is a place like koko's to help people to learn the real facts about fish keeping ..unfortanatly most lfs only care about making money and truly have no clue on how to take care of a goldfish....so don't feel discouraged this is a great site to learn and I wish you luck and hope to see you around on the board!!! :D

We're not mad at all :) its great you came to this site to help learn about goldfish. Sometimes its hard to tell emotions of the internet because it is just writing.

Biorbs are nifty for small tropicals, and although they are very appealing, a regular large "Cubical" tank is the way to go. Also do not skimp on the filter, this is the most important part.

Good luck with you fish :)

Years and years ago my first goldfish was in one of those round tanks that look like a globe of the earth. The fish lived a few months in there then of course died.

No one is mad at you they just want to help you give the best to your new wet pet so it can live out it's full lifespan and not have an early death.

That tank would be great for a few tropicals or a betta.

Welcome to the Board! Everyone has to start somewhere. My first time seeking out a fish board was with my one gallon neon pink fish tank with 4 baby goldies. Highlty overstocked, all but one had died, and knowing very little about proper care. And here I am today with 3 very large tanks, and some very happy (and healthy) fish. All thanks to that first proud moment when I had the hunger to find out more. Welcome, and happy learning!

Welcome to koko's! It's great to have you here! I know for certain that nobody here is mad at you, only trying to help. I am pretty new to keeping goldfish, and just like you I had my goldfish in something that was not really big enough, but I didn't know it either. I did not have a BioOrb, but I had a very small tank which held about 5 gallons of water. The people at the pet store said I could have 3 goldfish in there, and so I thought it was GREAT. I actually kept my original three fish alive for about a year without ANY problems, so I was thinking exactly like you in that they seem happy! It wasn't until my fish started to get sick all of a sudden that I realized I didn't have enough water for them, and got a bigger tank. And even THEN I had too many goldfish in the tank for a long time, and they seemed okay for a while, then those got sick as well.. It's so confusing when you are told one thing, and then you hear another thing, but so far everyone on this board has been very helpful, very kind, and for sure not angry. They really just care and want to help, and want to see you be able to keep your goldfish healthy and happy for as long as possible. The good news is that it seems like most people don't find out about all of this information until it's too late. And by you joining this board BEFORE your fish have gotten sick, you are so much better off and are very lucky. It also shows that you really care about them. I really hope you stick around and read a bunch of the topics. This board really is a great place for advice and to make friends. Good luck with your fish and I would also love to see pictures! :)