Flooded Air Pump

I have a Rena Air 400 for my fish tank. We had a blackout and I didn't have any back flow things on the air tubes, so the pump flooded. It is not pumping out any more air. I drained the water out but it still isn't working. Is there any way for me to fix it or do I need to buy a new one?

The biggest danger in a flooded piece of equipment is electrical shock. I am assuming you have it safely unplugged, correct?

Take a look at the pump. You should see some screws on it somewhere. Open it up and set it open to dry really well inside and outside. Once fully dry - it may take a day or two - you can try reassembling it and trying it again. THere are more ways to test it and to fix it, but they can get rather complicated, so I suggest if this does not work, I would not use it.

IF you do not have a check valve on your air pumps, it is at least a wise idea to put in a "drip loop". This works to keep water from running down an electrical cord and shorting out a plug as well as, in many cases, from flooding an air pump. A drip loop that places a portion of the cord at anyplace lower than the plug is adequate for water running down an elecrrical cord. Placing your air pump higher than the water surface (on a shelf behind the tank or some such) creates a "drip loop" for the air hose.

I am sorry. Power outages are a horrid fear of mine. They can be really expensive to remedy after they are over. :(

It's unplugged. I unscrewed it and put it outside in the sun. I hope it's salvagable, I don't have much extra cash these days to replace it. We had a tornado and the power went out for 3 days.

• Admin

Im sorry this happened :(

With mine (like Daryl said) keep it above so it has a loop, my guppy tank it sits on top of the HOB so it will not let water into the pump its self :D

That is really a bummer. What with the tornados and the Mississippi rising every day, things just do not stay dry!

I hope it works again for you.