What Are Sakura Goldfish?

okay.. i know that sakura are cherry blossoms...

and i've looked this up online without ever finding a clear definition of what one is.

from what i understand, a sakura goldfish is one...

that has been bred to have some "missing" scales which lets the pink flesh from underneath the skin show through...

causing a pinkish look in the goldfish?

is this correct? or can anyone tell me what one is? thanks! :)

what i understand from the term "sakura" goldfish is any fancy breed that sports the "matte" characetristic in which the majority of teh scales are semitransparent but with a sprinkling of several metallic scales and carrying only red pigmentation on its otherwise pinkish-white body

In other words, a calico goldfish minus the black and the blue....

ah ok, so the aren't really missing scales... they're just matte. :)

i thought i read somewhere that they were actually missing the scales which sounded a bit scary.

in that case if they're matte, why do some auction listings label fish as "sakura ryukin" whilst others just say "orange and white matte ryukin"?

^cause the long-winded fancier name sounds so much more impressive to newbie buyers who aren't in the know? ;)

Orange and white doesn't count as a "sakura", I guess...

EDIT:

This would be a good example of a "sakura" fish if the black markings were absent:

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/uploads/full/AUC_108_4.JPG

Edited by Man Yu

haha ok. that's actually the fish that prompted this post. i was wondering why it wasn't listed as a sakura ryukin. :D

so it was because of the flecks of black. :hmm

thanks so much man yu! :heart

Actually, there's a breeder in Japan, Takao Narisawa, from Yamagata Prefecture, who is currently attempting to breed a scaleless goldfish. He's calling it a Shonai Sakura. From what I understand, Sakura just strictly means transparent, regardless of coloration or whether there are scales.

http://inventorspot.com/articles/japans_go...rs_fish_ri_8959

Edited by lynda441

Actually, "sakura" originally means "cherry blossom" in Japanese so I imagine it refers more to the pinkish cast made by the red pigment showing up underneath the transluscent white scales. Maybe the "Shonai Sakura" is a scaleless fish that comes in red and white.