Sign in to follow this  
arabpaso

One Of My Trop Tanks Sprung A Leak!

HPIM4766.jpg

Here's my other 5 gal. tank I put some guppies in. It's an older one so I should have expected it to leak at some point I guess. Anyway, I had just vacuumed it and changed the water and then I noticed it leaking out the bottom--figures! I only had 3 guppies in there so I put them in my 20 gal pictured below.

HPIM4767.jpg

They seem quite happy with all the room and were making new friends right away--looks like it will work out ok. :)

WHEW!

are you going to fix your leaky tank? :)

Yeah, leaks scare me too--I had one a lot worse I need to post in the horror section sometime!! :o

I probably will get some aquarium sealant this weekend and try to fix the tank. Even if I don't use it again for awhile it would be good to have as a backup. :Aquarium11:

I didn't have a leak per say, but my air pump broke and water backed up from it. The water in my 46 gallon went down at least 5 inches and the really bad part was that it drained right next to all the electrical. Luckily nothing happened and I got it cleaned up.

If your 5 gallon doesn't work out for holding water, you might be able to keep something else in it. ;)

I have been very lucky no leaks in all the years I have been keeping fish.

Your 20 gallon looks great.

I didn't have a leak per say, but my air pump broke and water backed up from it. The water in my 46 gallon went down at least 5 inches and the really bad part was that it drained right next to all the electrical. Luckily nothing happened and I got it cleaned up.

If your 5 gallon doesn't work out for holding water, you might be able to keep something else in it. ;)

What a mess--thankfully it didn't short everything out or worse!

As for the tank, I guess I could have a little lizard in there--I've never kept any reptiles before. :)

Thanks for the compliment on my 20 gal, Hidr! Glad you never had to experience the messes a leak will cause. :exactly

I don't think there are any species of lizards that can live in a 5 gallon. You could try mantids, if you don't mind bugs. There are some gorgeous varieties out there. You could also make a mini green house for mosses and small plants. You may be able to keep a fire belly salamander, you could use a dish for water.

Guest pearlywhirly31

Kristi, i absolutely :heart your tank!!!!!! it's soo pretty!!!! :thumb:

great looking tank! I also hate it when tanks leak! I've had to replace 1 leaking tank this year and seal up the whole bottom of another (both acrylic betta tanks :glare: )

sorry your tank leaks, hope that you can fix it. good thing you were able to just place them in the other tank. the only thing i had leak on me was a brand new hob filter. hooked everything up, woke up a couple hours later for work and it was a slow drip out of the motor housing.drained bout an inch of water out of a 55gal. needless to say i was late going into work lol, had to clean everything up. the store took it back no questions asked. but im afraid of the tanks leaking too, i try not to disturb them as much as possible

Yeah, what a mess! At least the store took it back for you. :) I haven't tried to fix this tank yet cause I may not need it after all. What am I saying--of course we always need more tanks, right??! :D

i hate leaks they seem to always happen to me..

you could keep a spider in the five gallon...i would

Well, I'm ok with spiders but not sure I want one as a pet! :P I did use this same tank awhile ago to hatch out praying mantis babies, though. Then we put them on plants outside to prey on the bad bugs.

How awful. Glad you caught it though and were able to get everyone moved over. Nice lookin tank too.

I recently had a leak on my 18gal tank. Thankfully it was a slow leak and i caught it in time.com I've resealed the tank but i'm too scared to use it. luckily, i had a 28gal that I could move the fish into, they love the extra room.

Last year I did have a tank drain, somehow the filter outlet on my 40gal was knocked to point upwards, it emptied all but 5 inches of water out of the tank. The fish, thankfully survived, even though it was a close call for my pearlie (she was only half submerged). It was a panic getting the tank refilled, filter readjusted and mopping up a flooded kitchen all before I went to work.