Winston Is Bottom Sitting

Acupunk

My new calico telescope Winston is bottom sitting in QT. I got him on Friday (two days ago). He spent less than 24 hours in the shipping container. He is alone in a 20 gallon with a AquaClear 50 filled with biomedia from my regular tank. Ammonia and nitrite are zero, nitrate is 5.0. He is eating well and his dorsal fin it up, but he spends most of his time laying on his belly on the floor of the tank. It does not appear to be a swim bladder problem, as he is able to hover without extra effort while eating. Salt is at 0.3%, Prazi was started as soon as he arrived on Friday.

Can I put this down to shipping stress or a normal reaction to fluke die-off with Prazi? Other issues that I should be considering? Other things I should be doing?

Not that I'm an expert, but it sounds like you're doing all the right things. For the time being, my guess would be shipping stress. What are you feeding him and does he appear to be eating and pooping normally? I did not notice any change in behavior when I treated with Prazi last week.

--Roc

...if I can remember did penny do the same??? :)

Yeah, I guess you're right. Penny did act kind of weird for a few days and sit on the bottom. I guess I am just being an obsessive fish mom. Probably me peering in there and staring at him constantly is not helping anything, either. :P

Probably me peering in there and staring at him constantly is not helping anything, either. :P

LOL

Luc does not like to be watched, either. The main tank fishies absolutely love attention, but if you stand before the hospital tank for more than 30 seconds, Luc will start to dart around the tank and spazz out... Maybe Winston is just shy.

--Roc

...if I can remember did penny do the same??? :)

Yeah, I guess you're right. Penny did act kind of weird for a few days and sit on the bottom. I guess I am just being an obsessive fish mom. Probably me peering in there and staring at him constantly is not helping anything, either. :P

your suppose to be ..so if something is not right you can act fast :D ...I do the same just turn lights out and he should come around soon ..everything probably has caught up and he may just feel a little lazy :)

I had a fish that would stay at the bottom when I first got him, and had him in QT. Then when I put him in with other fish, he really perked up! I do hope the problem is just shipping stress. That must be a frightening experience. Keep us posted!

Aww I hope Winston comes around soon! My new fish did that for a few days and I was freaking out too. She is acting a lot better now though. Hopefully so will Winston. He's too gorgeous to be laying around, he needs to be showing off : )

He is doing better now that I turned the light off and that I am not constantly staring at him. I figure that this is his first time ever in a tank -- he was in a humongous pool at Tommy's and was probably in a similar set-up before he left China. So the whole experience of having a glass walls, a bright light, people peering at you, etc. is new to him. Seems reasonable that it would take a few days for him to adjust. I will keep you posted.