Temperature Issues

It's that time of year again here on the face of the sun, and the lowest temperature I can get from the "cold" tap is 86 degrees. This is making it very hard on Luc in the hospital tank when I do a water change in his tank. I haven't the buckets to leave out and let the temperature drop, and I worry that the tank is so small that putting frozen bottles in when I add new water isn't going to stop him from experiencing a brief temp shock which results in frenzied behavior and opens his wounds again.

Would buying a 5 lb bag of ice cubes be any different than using the frozen bottles of water to cool the tank? Should I remove Luc from the hospital tank when I do a water change and not put him back until the temperature is stable? The hospital tank is only 20 gallons and I usually change out 75% at a time. I guess I should invest in at least one more bucket (i only have 2) to make the change easier and so I have someplace to put Luc while I do the changing.

The main tank is 55 gallons and those guys seem to have less issue when I change their water and use the frozen bottles to regulate the tap temperature. No one goes berserk like Luc when I change their water - they just stay on the other end of the tank from where the water is coming in and ice bottles are floating. (except ethel - she likes to come over and "attack" the water bottles and the intake hose - she strikes and then swims away, then comes back and does it all over again)

This problem is only going to get worse as summer progresses; we are currently getting outdoor temps of around 108, but it wont be long until our temps are hitting the teens and low twenties and then the "cold" tap water will be warm enough to bathe in!

--Roc

Yep... I have this same problem. The water from the "cold" tap here has been 90 degree since May. It was a total pain in the rear while I was doing daily water changes during cycle. My ice maker couldn't keep up and the temperature fluctuations were stressing the fish. After a lot of tinkering, this is what I came up with:

I have a 50 gallon trash can (brand new) in the shower of an unused guest bathroom. Suctioned to the bottom of the trash can is a submersible water pump with a 50 ft vinyl hose attached. I fill the trashcan (using my Python) with water 36-48 hours before I know that I will need it. I add Prime as it is filling. Remove water from the tank with the Python. Refill from the trash can using the waterpump and vinyl hose. This whole set up probably cost me nearly $100 to put together (that much vinyl tubing is expensive and I wanted a water pump strong enough to do the job fast). But it is worth it to me because I don't have to worry about water temperature problems. I will use the same system in the winter when the tap water is colder than room temperature.

Kristen,

That sounds like a good system you have there. Not sure it would work for me, no bathroom close enough to where the tanks are located - I'd have to put the trash can in the dining room. My problem at the moment is that I've already spent so much money on the two tanks that my husband would probably kill me if I spent another hundred bucks just to keep the temperature under control. I think I will go with the extra bucket idea... put Luc in his own water in a bucket, fill the tank with tap and ice bottles, and not put Luc back until the tank temperature is what it should be. I wont worry about the main tank as long as everyone continues to stay away from the warm water coming in while I'm filling. At the first sign of trouble, though, I may have to get another one of those big rubbermaid tubs and switch them to that when doing changes.

I wonder now if these high temps might have something to do with my high nitrates?

--Roc

I wonder now if these high temps might have something to do with my high nitrates?

The beneficial bacteria like warmer temperatures better. So, probably.

Just adding my :twocents

I was able to get a submersible water pump (692GPH max) for $38 from Big Al's (Rio+ 2100). The clear plastic tubing that Thomas and I regularly use is only $.69 per foot. And I was able to get a 45 gal rubbermaid tub for $15. If you had the room, you could probably do the setup for cheaper than $100.

However, your system sounds fine. 5gal buckets are invaluable tools-- I think we're up to 3 now?

I was having some real heat issues here, in LA, when it got so hot last week and the week before... temps have gone down now though, so, see, getting something, i.e., chiller, isn't practical for me, and I know chillers, well, send a chill down your spine when you see the price, but there are DIY chillers and in continously hot areas like Las Vegas or Texas, seems to me would be worth an investment. Anyway, here's a link I found for a DIY chiller that keeps costs really low... AND I have two Rio Aqua 800 Pump/Powerhead submersible pumps that I'd love to get rid of for a very low price! Regularly $80 new, one never used, the other only slightly, and I'd sell 'em for $5 just to help out my friends here. ;)

http://www.guarriello.net/chiller.html

And here's another link for another type of DIY chiller.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/dyiprojec...ydonchiller.htm

Edited by lynda441