Better Change Than Sorry?

This is just a general hypothetical question: in pretty much all cases were there's an emergency, one of the first things that is advices is to do a large water change. I was wondering whether there is there theoretically any situation in which it would be bad to do a large water change (taking as a given that it's a temperature and pH matched w/c).

(could a moderator please remove the Quasi post with the same name; another 1-pc-2-KGW-user mix up)

I'll give my two cents.. I can't think of any reason if your water parameters were carefully matched to the old tank that it would be bad to do a large water change. The only reason it could be bad in mind is if it was "too large" and the parameters weren't quite right, it can be a shock to your goldfish (and your beneficial bacteria!).

Excellent question! Especially because sometimes if I am in the forum reading and someone comes on with a problem in emergency and no one else is on I start to say to do a temp matched dechlorinated water change while they are waiting for a mod. And then I think.. well, what if in this particular case that would be the wrong advice and I screw things up for someone. It seems like in almost every case with a sick fish that I have read, the recommendation is always at LEAST a 50% change to start. But I've wondered the same thing..

bb's are in the filter doing a large water change will not hurt it ...I guess the best thing is to know what your dealing with if an ilness is bacterial you will want to get rid of the nasty bacteria load out of the water buy water change ...if it is parasites you will need to keep changing water to rid of the eggs and whteverelse could be lurking ..even though water paremeters are good does not mean that a bad bacteria is not in the water making your fish ill ...if a waterchange is to stressful for a fish you will need to remove him while doing so but as non stressful as possible... :)water is key to a sick fish getting better

Edited by hi-d