Sign in to follow this  
lantern567

Catching Fish In A Pond?

This might sound like a trivial question - but it's quite distressing!

We have a fish that has some problems (posted in disease forum) and I want to catch her. We bought a large net with very fine holes, and we thought we'd either nudge her into a washbasin, or catch her in the net and pick her up in the washbasin. What dreaming! These fish do not want to be caught.

Maybe the fine net was a mistake. I am thinking it would be easier to move the net through the water if it had larger holes. Thoughts?

Any ideas on catching fish in a pond? They are 4-5 inch long common and comet goldfish, in a 1300 gallon pond. We're going to have to learn to catch them!

Guest Tyrese

Slow trap the fish you want to catch into a corner and then catch them

In addition to patience and trapping them in a corner, you might also tempt them into best proximity by tossing small bits of food ... say one or two tiny balls of white bread. Watch your shadow and the net's shadow.

oliver

ps. net should already be in the water

Edited by oliver_black

... plus reducing the water level also helps. I catch our fish in the pond best when the water is down to about 6-10 inches.

One other option - give all your fish names, and when you call 'em, they'll come! :tomuch::rofl3 Sorry, couldn't help myself here... :whistle

I've never caught a fish in that big of a pond before, but Thomas' fantail Roman is lightning fast and hates to be caught. We turned a net into a paddle by removing the mesh and superglueing part of a nylon stocking across it (tautly). We use this to "herd" him into a large container in which to remove him.

Might be something to try?

Proper equipment is vital to catching fish in a larger pond! I will be going out to catch a couple in a few minutes. These are 12-18" fish, koi not goldies. There are good nets made for catching fish. Most are from Japan and have wooden handles. They will glide easily through the water. Worth their weight in gold to catch koi.

I also have a seine net. Large commercial fish net that I have weights on the bottom edge and floats on the top. Slowly starting at one end drag the net from end to the other, being careful to not let the net come off the bottom or sides of the pond. They get smart about sneaking under and around the edges. Also the reason to go slow. Once you have the fish (or most of them .. guaranteed some will get away!) then use the other net to catch them. Lowering the water level was also mentioned and can help greatly.

My pond is 13,000 gallons, 5.50-6.5 feet deep. I do not drop the level and and always get my fish..well almost always :rolleyes:

Guest RussianBoy11

sometimes when i absolutely cant get them and cant reach the net across my pond i will stand in the pond and i always get em once im in there with the fish. haha good luck.

My goodness, what would the fish think if I were to set up a dragnet operation in the pond? That's quite a pond, 13,000 gallons! The fish must be really happy in there. My pond is about 10,000 gallons short of that. But my fish are considerably smaller, too! I hope I don't have to do that, but we'll see. I did get a black net, so we'll see what they think of that. I'll also invest in a black kitty litter pan, to try the herding technique. Getting into the pond may work, especially if they're hungry. One of these hot days I really need to practice, before it's an emergency situation.

I catched two of hubby's larger koi a couple of days ago just fine, and those guys are about 20 inches long. Water was down to about 8 inches, and I have a black, rather round net, that isn't really all that deep. Black really helps, since it can't be seen by the fish as well as a nets in other colors. I scoop them up instead of chasing them around, with the net coming up from under them, and behind them. That way they don't see it right away. Went pretty smooth, and took me less than 2 minutes to get them both.

I'd hate standing in the middle of the pond trying to catch them - the bottom is so darn slippery, and I have landed in there more than once without planning it. :rolleyes: