Fish With Gray Spot On Gill

We have 5 goldfish, about 4-5 inches long, that live in a pond as of 2 weeks ago. I had them in a 40-gallon aquarium for many months prior to that, and they were very healthy.

In the pond, they had fun playing in the waterfall, but I think several fish got some scrapes on the rocks. One fish is sort of whitish on one side, maybe an abrasion. Another fish has a problem that I am actually more worried about - the gills have some whitish on them, like the one I think may be an abrasion, but on one gill there is a charcoal gray spot! It is right in the center of the gill.

We tried very hard to catch them this morning, to get pictures, but no luck. If they get brave again, I will try to get a picture of the gray spot, while they are swimming in the pond.

The pond is still cycling, unfortunately. We will try changing out some water today.

My thought on the abrasions, is if I can ever catch them, is to put some peroxide on it. But on the gill - I would hate to put anything on the gills. Any thoughts on that gray spot? Mean time, I have to try to learn how to catch fish.

Ammonia Level? .25

Nitrite Level? .5

Nitrate level? 2

Ph Level 7.2 (stabilized with Buff-It-Up)

KH 0

Chloramines 0

API test kit, test strip for chloramines

1300 gallon pond, running 3 weeks

3000 gallons per hour pump

Haven't changed water yet - pond vacuum on order

Microbe Lift protectant for pond fish (slime coat protection, microbe protection)

No medications

Fish were put into pond 2 weeks ago

Fish are fed Pro Gold sinking pellets and floating pellets

Fish act very normal and are very active

Hello. Do you mean by spot a grey discoloration? I am wondering if cycling stress is not going to be the cause of that if so.

My new thought is that the fish are having a love-fest, and scraping up against the rocks. Tangerine is in love with Ghost, and has been following her for days. And Mandarin (I did see her in egg-fattened state) has probably been chased, too. I've brought plants back in from the pond, and put them into the fishless tank I'm trying to get ready for the frog (if he ever gets legs), and next thing you know I have a second batch of tiny fish swimming around! (I put them with the others into the more-hospitable 40-gallon tank, and I think I have about nine fish in there now, with the four original ones already looking like real fish.)

The cycling is a concern for sure as well. I had no idea nitrites would get to .5 so fast. But this morning, after a downpour, nitrites .25, at least as far as the bucket would go down. I did a 100 gallon water change anyway, using the sump pump. I hope these fish appreciate this. My life was normal before fishes. :lol1 Now I have no idea what I'd do without them.

I sat by the pond trying to get pictures, and managed to get one of the side of the fish without the black spot. The side with the spot looks the same as shown below, except picture a dark pencil dot right in the middle of the gill. (Pouring rain again right now, and I can't really try pictures again until it stops.)

post-14551-1214243527_thumb.jpg

I found a piece on Koko's (on the disease list page) about Melanophore Migration, a black spot which appears during healing. I hope it is something like this, rather than some sort of parasite. Given what I think are abrasions, maybe? The fish really are all very active and seem healthy.

I gave them more slime coat protectant, and also added a full dose of Microbe-lift beneficial bacteria. Boy did that stuff stink! I guess I could say it smelled "natural" so maybe it will give the pond a cycling boost.

Mean time, I have to learn how to catch the fish.

Hi Lantern, has the spot changed in any way since your last posting? I am wondering also about some scraping, or maybe a healing spot from rough spawning. The fish isn't acting weird in any way, is it? Eating well, swimming about?

Guest Corrie

lantern, I would say it's ammonia burn.

Ammonia Level? .25

Nitrite Level? .5

and ammonia damages their gills.

My guess is that they were not playing under the waterfall. But that there is more oxygen there.

Here's an update:

The gills still have a gray-ish or white-ish cast, with a little dark gray/black spot on one of them. It may be a little less noticable, but maybe it's wishful thinking on my part. It is definitely not worse. A different fish that had the whitish-looking (what I called) scrape on the side seems to have improved. I am hoping it is just a healing thing from the scraping. And spawning was certainly going on - I have the fry to prove it.

The fish has been and still is acting normally.

Yes, it is possible that on the unseasonably hot, 90+ degree days, they were getting more oxygen under the waterfall, and they got scraped there. They haven't been playing "salmon" under the waterfall lately, so they either got bored, or the more normal, lower temperatures have caused oxygen to be better. The temperature in the water is 72 at this point.

And/or maybe it was the ammonia or nitrite, especially with those high temps. Thankfully, at this point, the pond is cycled, and I get readings of ammonia:0, nitrite:0 and nitrate:0. That nitrate reading was strange to me, but it never was very high. I do have algae, and I also have plenty of plants that protrude up out of the water, so they should be eating the nitrates, but getting their oxygen from the air - at least that's the intent.

Eating problems: None! These fish are little vacuum cleaners!

I still need to get a black net and catch him, and get a picture. I truly hate the thought of doing that, and so I procrastinate. But I really do need to learn to catch fish.

Thank you all for your thoughts on this.

• 2 weeks later...