Tank Decor

Hey, I'm setting up a 55 gal. next week and I'm wanting to do an asian theme with a pagoda, archways, a couple good hiding places and some silk plants. I'm not seeing quite what I want when I search the internet. Does anyone have a good site to check out? Also I'm thinking about a canister filter this time around; are they a a pain to maintain or are they worth it?

Canisters are SO worth it!! They are a breeze to maintain, and I think they are essential on any tank 20 gallons or more.

As far as decor, so sorry I can't help you there. In my experience youjust gotta search until you find something that screams perfection. :)

Hey Tangelo! We talked a bit about decor. I originally wanted a pagoda, but then I saw that grass hut and liked it and it was there in front of me so.... I got it. But, here's some links to pagodas that I was looking at before:

Pagodas of the World

Toshogu Pagoda

Oriental Garden Bridge

Ebay Items

Thanks a lot! I really like that Chinese bridge ornament, I'm thinking I might go with that maybe with a couple of those little Asian trees (can't remember the name). I really appreciate it! My fish are loving the new tank by the way.

Thanks a lot! I really like that Chinese bridge ornament, I'm thinking I might go with that maybe with a couple of those little Asian trees (can't remember the name). I really appreciate it! My fish are loving the new tank by the way.

I love asian bridges. Bonsai. Bonsai trees. I love them too. Like I said, they have a tendency to float. Also, I've had to glue the branches on as they also don't seem to want to stay on very well, but I still love it! Have you posted a pic of it? Well, I guess it's not totally done yet if you still want to get some things, but post a pic when you're done with it! Yay!

Edited by lynda441

001-1.jpg

th_005.jpg

Here is a pic of my tank and even some video of Fredo and Tiger and you can see Lido my cory cat swimming past.

Sorry the pic quality isn't so good, it was taken with my phone. It's not much but the fish seem pretty happy :) .

(Fredo is the red oranda and Tiger is the calico fantail) I'll post more pics of the tank when I get it set up the rest of the way.

Edited by tangelo123

Of course! Bamboo! Duh. But I'm sure I would have thought of that eventually :idea;) . Thanks for the tips, I can't wait to get the tank finished and then get a better camera to take some pics.

Edited by tangelo123

Your Tiger, is just like my Tigerlily who just died of ich. Funny we both named them Tiger... Great big tank! Nice!

Sorry to hear about Tigerlily :( , she was a pretty fish. I just noticed that pic you have of her and she looked a lot like my fantail. I think I should have named mine Tigerlily cuz I'm pretty sure he is a she. Fredo hasn't left her alone since I bought her and he's definitely displaying some attempted mating or breeding behavior. That's how I figured out the sexes, unless one or both of them are really confused...

Edited by tangelo123

Guest Ranchu Addict

If you can, canister filters are worth it. I personally have a rena filstar XP2 and an aquaclear 70 on my 55 gallon in my son's room. They hold tons of media and have different options on what you can put in them. My next 55 gallon that I am setting up will have a Fluval FX5 on it. I have one of them on my 150 gallon along with 2 XP3s and love both filters. The fluval I use to drain water out of my tank for water changes and it is so fast and easy. I have tried the Jebo canister filter and was disappointed when it cracked and leaked water after a year of use. So those are my experiences with canister filters and hope it will be helpful in your choice.

Thanks for the info.! I went ahead and got a HOB Aquaclear 110/500gph. I'm really happy with it but I wish I would have gone with 2 filters instead of the one so I could get filtration on both sides of the tank. Do you think I could get away with adding a smaller canister without causing too much more suction/current in the tank?

Edited by tangelo123

The nice thing about a canister filter is that the output can be stacked underneath the output of a HOB filter. I have a 75 gallon tank with an Emperor 400 HOB, an Aqueon 325 HOB, and a Rena Filstar xP2 canister filter. The HOB filters are on opposite sides of the tank, the input for the canister filter is in the middle of the tank, and the spray bar output of the canister filter is suction-cupped underneath the Emperor filter output. This arrangement works great for me.

"The nice thing about a canister filter is that the output can be stacked underneath the output of a HOB filter. I have a 75 gallon tank with an Emperor 400 HOB, an Aqueon 325 HOB, and a Rena Filstar xP2 canister filter. The HOB filters are on opposite sides of the tank, the input for the canister filter is in the middle of the tank, and the spray bar output of the canister filter is suction-cupped underneath the Emperor filter output. This arrangement works great for me."

Good idea! I think I'll try that with a canister on the opposite side of the tank and the two outputs mixed together. Thanks!

One more question: Is the intake rate adjustable on most canister filters? I'm guessing they are but I wasn't sure...

Edited by tangelo123