Building A Pond?

Guest Mydoona

Guest Mydoona

my fish have gotten too big for my tank and so I am going to have an outdoor pond.I live in an apartment so it will be on my balcony.

I got a giant 110 litre round pot. it is fibreglass and am wondering a few questions.

Do I NEED a filter?..my friend said you can buy tablets that put air in the water? I also want to know if I should put rocks in the bottom of the pot to hold the plants?

What kind of plants go well? Should I get some snails for the algae?

thanks again

Mydoona.

Hello Mydoona,

You will definitely need a filter, even if you use plants. I've never heard of tablets that add oxygen (I suppose) to the water, but I would think that using these would lead to lead to large fluctuation in oxygen concentrations (and imagine if you ever forgot :( ). A simple bubbler would probably be the easiest and most practical solution.

Oliver has a good point, although I have to admit I never checked the load bearing capacity of my balcony before putting about 350lbs of water in my container pond out there.

All contained ecosystems, whether it be aquarium or pond, HAVE TO HAVE FILTRATION. It is an absolute must. Have you read about the nitrogen cycle? Understanding this basic process in fish keeping is also an absolute must.

Dissolved oxygen content can be achieved either through an airpump as Erinaceus suggested, or by having adequate filtration that moves a lot of water and provides a lot of surface agitation.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RussianBoy11

some good plants for your pond are hyacinths, water lillies, and water lettuce. i wouldnt get snails because they multiply much too fast, and they dont even need a breeding partner, they are self spawning, they can lay eggs by themselves. so i would get snails that require a partner for egglaying otherwise it will get out of control and they will get all clogged in your filter. substrate is a good idea, it looks nice. i would recommend small river stone, bigger than gravel, but smaller than regular rocks. hope this helps

Paul