Poorly Fish

Guest dora

Hi hope someone can help!

have trawled the internet for some advice but can't seem to find what I need, My son's beloved pet goldfish is looking decidely sick, he is floating to one side and appears to roll over he has a black spot on his head and small spots on one side of his body. i visited a pet store yesterday and was sold some water regulator to make the water friendly fo goldfish, i have added this yesterday but "fishy" still looks poorly. Can anyone help??

First, you should answer as much as possible of the following:

(the red question I think are the most/really important, but try to answer the other too)

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap?

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?)

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Add any new fish to the tank?

[*]What do you feed your fish?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..?

This topic will probably be relocated to 'Diagnosis & Discussion' by a moderator, and will get much responds from then on.

If you don't know how to measure ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH: you can buy test kits in most lifestores (best to go for drop tests and they are more accurate then strip tests). Although a moderator would be best to give advice, it seems likely to me that the spots (if they are black) are healing ammonia burns. A good thing to do first (which can only help) is to do a water change. It's very important that you use temperature matched and dechlorinated water, so you don't give your fish a temperature of chlorine shock. Try to do a large water change: at least 50% or something, and it wouldn't hurt to do it at least daily for the time being. More experiences members will be able to assist you further.

Edited by Quasi

Hello dora, and welcome -I'm going to move this to emergency for you so you can get more help. Meanwhile can you do an 80% water change for your fish immediately as it sounds like ammonia may be one cause.

• 2 weeks later...