Sign in to follow this  
tangelo123

Just Cured My Oranda Of Hemorrhagic Septicemia!

My Oranda Fredo started getting red blotches all over him and I finally figured out what it was. Had to dose the tank with tetracycline for 5 days doing a 50% WC on day three. My water turned red and it smelled horrible but the blotches went away and he pulled through. His right dorsal fin is kinda deformed now but otherwise he's fine. My 1 1/2 inch red and white baby fantail Tiger wasn't so lucky.

Here's a couple of bad pictures of Fredo and my new calico fantail Tiger the 3rd:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk312/tangelo314/010.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk312/tangelo314/002.jpg

I'll try to post better pics in the future.

They're both in a 10 gal. right now but I just got a 55 gal. for my birthday and I'm setting it up next week...can't wait!

I'm trying to figure out the ideal number of fish. I'm planning on having mostly Orandas and fantails with maybe a snail and a bottom feeder like a cory cat. If anybody is still reading this what do you suggest?

I just realized this probably isn't under the right topic.

Edited by tangelo123

I'm sorry to here about Tiger :(

The rule of thumb -regarding managing the waste they produce- is at least 10 gal per goldfish for fancies, and 20 gal per goldfish for commons or comets. So once you have transferred them to the 55 gal tank, you can probably add 2 or 3 more fancies or 1 common/fantail, but keep in mind that that's not a necessity; most gf wont mind having been given more than their minimum amount of water volume (it also makes it easier to keep the fish and the water in good condition).

That's cool, I'm planning on getting at least 2 more orandas then maybe another fantail unless my lfs gets something interesting in. Thanks!

"My Oranda Fredo started getting red blotches all over him and I finally figured out what it was. Had to dose the tank with tetracycline for 5 days doing a 50% WC on day three. My water turned red and it smelled horrible but the blotches went away and he pulled through. His right dorsal fin is kinda deformed now but otherwise he's fine."

I just wanted to clarify after that first post that I am in no way a gf expert. I've never had any luck curing a sick gf so when I did something that worked I wanted to share it :nana

Fredo had been bottom sitting from time to time and he had red patches around his mouth and on his fins that gradually got worse over a two week period. His fins got ragged and white on the edges and his pec fins were clamped (especially the right one which still hasn't healed quite right). He got better after 5 days of tetracycline and that's after trying a crapload of other tx's. None of this seemed to hurt his appetite, he ate through the whole thing.

Hemorrhagic septicemia is the one disease I could find that satisfied all of these symptoms and the tx worked so it might be something to look into if one of your goldies comes down with the same thing :ill

Edited by tangelo123