Help Locating True Bristol Shubunkins

Guest Corrie

Guest Corrie

Hello everyone, my name is Corrie and we live in Florida.

We have decided to take down our 500gal reef aquarium, and convert it to fresh water. I have not been able to have Bristol shubunkins since I was a child and they are my favorite fish. This will probably be my one and only chance to have them again.

Does anyone on the forum know of anyone that has them? I have searched and emailed and had no luck at all.

Thank you all

Corrie

Wow, you are a lucky duck to be setting up a 500 gallon goldfish tank!

From the little searching that I did, it appears that Bristol Shubunkins are hard to come by in the States (I am sure you have already figured this out). This seems to be a small operation in the UK -- they might be able to hook you up with a breeder in the States that they know of:

http://www.rutofrozen.co.uk/page6.htm

Good luck in your search and keep us posted!

Guest Corrie

Thank you

I'm not a computer person, but I will find someone that can take pictures and post them for me as soon as we have it ready.

I'm hoping someone on this forum that is involved with goldfish breeders like daryl or ranchugirl can help me find Bristol shubunkins.

Could someone ask them to look at this post for me?

If it ends up that I can't find them, then we will just sell the tank and stand also.

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.

Corrie

Edited by Corrie

Thank you

I'm not a computer person, but I will find someone that can take pictures and post them for me as soon as we have it ready.

I'm hoping someone on this forum that is involved with goldfish breeders like daryl or ranchugirl can help me find Bristol shubunkins.

Could someone ask them to look at this post for me?

If it ends up that I can't find them, then we will just sell the tank and stand also.

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.

Corrie

I hope you find some !!!!! ....could we entice you with other breeds of goldies if you can't???? :yeah:

There are a few breeders around..... the one that I got my 4 from last year is not doing them this year - this year he has Midnight Shubies..... (my four might breed next year or the year after - they were last fall's babies).

They are pretty difficult to come by in the States, but I can ask around and see who might have some. Many people keep theirs in large acre or larger ponds - so they really do not know exactly what they have at any one point in time... When they get around to dragging a pond and inventorying the stock, they may find they have a bumper crop of fish to sell.

I shall ask around. It takes time, though. Do not give up in the interim, ok?

Guest Corrie

daryl, thank you

The family has agreed to let me keep the aquarium - and the expense - for only one reason, so I can have bristol's again.

I would be happy with someone's culls.

As long as I know it is possible to get them, I can hang on to the aquarium and wait. I thought it would be fall or late fall before anyone got around to culling anyway.

Thank you again, please don't forget

Corrie

I was at a meeting of our local koi club about a month ago, and a member who sells koi and goldfish showed us some of his fancy goldfish. One of the fish he showed us was a Bristol Shubunkin, which he noted was hard to find. Ed does not breed goldfish, but must have a source of unusual varieties. Anyway, it might be worth contacting him about them.

http://www.koi-art.com/goldfish-store.html

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Well, Corrie! Between Acupunk and Chris the Bristol Guy, I think you've found your Bristol Shubunkins! I LOVE their tails! Like perky little sideways hearts!

Ed from Koiart is a nice guy to deal with - and if he has bristols, it is a nice quality fish. I have had other fish from him with always nice quality.