Space Problem

Just to put a backround on this, I had to move back into my mothers house. While my space is decent, its not huge. I have currently been able to have 2 fish tanks with no problems, a 40 gallon and a 20 gallon.

Well I have to take down the 20 gallon tank which holds one baby Platy fish (about 1/2 inch) and my Goldfish Fry (only one about 1 inch maybe more) because of storage issues.

I have plenty of room in the big tank for them (the platy will be going to a platy pond) I'm just concerned about my big fish eating him. My big goldies are over 3 inches each and there are 3 of them. Has anyone ever housed a baby goldie that small with others that big? Should I even attempt it? I'm going to put the plastic plants back in there (currently it only has gravel) and take out some of the gravel so its not so thick.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

there are 3 of them. Has anyone ever housed a baby goldie that small with others that big? Should I even attempt it?

Yes I have, with mixed results. Before last week it always went well. At most the bigger fish would chase the little guy for a day or so, then fully accept him. Unfortunatly when I tried it this month my big fish hurt the small one so bad I had to euthanize :(

My advice would be give it a shot, but watch very closely. If the agression seems to be getting out of hand, there are ways to seperate the small fish but keep them in the same tank. I currently have a tank divider in my 50 gallon and I'm pretty happy with how it looks. People who've seen it have even commented on how 'cool' it is (don't know if I'd go that far, but it's not really ugly either). You can also put the smaller fish in a basket to seperate them, but that would only be a short term solution. I've done that as well. I just used a plastic basket from a dollar store, it floated and the baby fish happily lived in there.

I currently have a tank divider in my 50 gallon and I'm pretty happy with how it looks. People who've seen it have even commented on how 'cool' it is (don't know if I'd go that far, but it's not really ugly either).

It does look cool :D

Thanks Chrissy, I'm going to move Fatty McNeil (the fry) to the big tank tonight along with Smallz (the Platy). Ill keep an eye on him and hope for the best!

*Fingers Crossed*

Ill look into tank dividers too, I didn't even think about that *Forhead slap*

I wish I had my own place :( When I do I'm setting all my tanks back up :)

Don't know at all...the only thing I have to say is that if you have real plants instead of plastic, fish are more able to hide and also, fish have other things to nibble on which MIGHT take a LITTLE more attention away from the fry...also less nitrites and more oxygen. =]

You probably already know that, but hey...just thought I'd say anyways.

Have you considered getting a double stacking tank stand? You can have two tanks in the same amount of space as one.

Double Stacking Tank Stand

Don't know at all...the only thing I have to say is that if you have real plants instead of plastic, fish are more able to hide and also, fish have other things to nibble on which MIGHT take a LITTLE more attention away from the fry...also less nitrites and more oxygen. =]

I did but its always nice to hear again! I wish I had the money to buy real plants ATM. I think I may get a chip clip and put romain lettuce or something on the inside of the tank to distract the 3 little piggs!

Have you considered getting a double stacking tank stand? You can have two tanks in the same amount of space as one.

I have and I really would love one, but again with money, my car just died to I had to buy a new one, then student loans and gas. I just had to take a second job! Hmm, though I have not asked my mom for a birthday Present!!! :D

I may just have to ask for that!

I love the name Fatty McNeil too. Its fitting, And if its a girl she can still be a Fattina!

Birthday present! PERFECT! And like that one I posted the link to, you can find 'em online on sale for great prices sometimes.

Edited by lynda441

My platy got ate today. RIP Smallz.

Fatty McNeil on the other hand has grown signifigantly and is actually chasing the bigger fish. I think hes a little to big for his britches ;)

And now Im off to plague the disease forum ***WOOOSH***