Why We Didn't Notice The Pond Last Summer ...

Erinaceus

(I'm not sure where I should put this topic, but I guess a moderator can still move it if it's more appropriate somewhere else)

Last October my girlfriend and I bought a house (our very own :bounce ) with a relatively large garden. There were also some outdoor ponds, some of which were in the ground, some on top of the ground. In one of the latter we found our 8 goldies, but the others were empty. Well, as we found out later ... not all were empty. Apparently there is a small in-the-ground pond at the back of our garden, in the center of a (sort of) rose garden. Because of the high grass there (the garden had been left untended by the former owner for rather a long time) we hadn't seen any pond in there (Quasi/Miki has mentioned it in one or more earlier posts). Last week I battled with the high grass in there and today I made some photographs that show why we didn't notice it last summer (when we had our first look at the place).

Note that this is after I levelled most of the grass (i.e. you can usually see your ankles).

DSC03572.jpg

The plants in the middle look nice, from a distance a bit like snapdragon (Antirrhinum), which you see in a lot of fields in Belgium.

Now a bit more up close:

DSC03574.jpg

And when you look below the plants, you can even see the pond water

DSC03575.jpg

Now, in early spring there was a part of the pond that was visibly 'pond-like' and the aquatic plants were also maybe just an inch above the water and far between, and at that time we counted maybe 4 gf (though we can't be sure). We didn't have any place to put them, and they had survived for at least 2 years in there on there own, so we decided to leave them be until we moved in and were able to properly relocate them, after a long QT period (because believe me, that'll be necessary, with all the snails and stuff in that pond).

Also, there is another (a bit larger) pond in the front part of the backgarden, but it's totally overgrown with plants, both terrestrial and aquatic. I managed to make a photograph were it's more or less visible, again after some serious removal of weeds and stuff. Maybe we can get it cleaned up enough to be usable eventually, but we'll have to wait and see :)

DSC03576.jpg

Yeah, up close it looks exactly like the pic on the wikipedia page. We were thinking of removing the pond, because it's been left unattended for so long that it would be less work to remove it completely and make a new pond (in the same place or elsewhere). Is Parrot Feather a good plant to keep (i.e. translocate to other ponds)?

wow! How many pond did you found totally LOL :)

Parrot Feather are very easy to grow, I have some in my pond :D It's almost a maintence free plant LOL, I love it! If you want to grow some in your other ponds, just take a few clipping, put it in a pot with some soil, and put the pot into the pond with the top of the pot emerge. Make sure it's always wet :D

I guess it does help provide hiding areas for the fish :)

Edited by love-rabbit-fish

How exciting!

To find so many ponds in your garden!

(I wish there had been ponds in our garden too, but we had to dig our own... :) )

Thanks for the advice :)

At first we had 2 on-the-ground (wooden/plastic) ponds of about 15 gal each (one is still there, but the wood on the other one had decayed too much to keep it). We also have the pond in the rose garden. That one's made with a deep part (but no idea how deep; 1 to 2 feet maybe?) of about 1.5' by 3' in the center and a fluvial area around it, with the pond in total measuring something like 10' by 12', though that part is completely covered in grass by now. The last one is a double pond, consisting of two ponds of (we think) 2' deep (though probably the accumulation of leaves reduced that depth by halve). They're connected to make up one large pond, but in what way I can't say at present (I'd have to check once I can manage to get there; I couldn't even see the second pond today :P ).

wow so many ponds

If i had them in my yard there would be a major mosquito problem

Luckely it is a gigantic yard, so the mosquitos can't find the house :D

wow so many ponds

We didn't notice any mosquitos when we had our first look of the place last summer, but I guess we'll find out this summer whether that actually means there aren't any :P

That is pretty exciting Alain! And Miki of course. With all these stories of people finding ponds and even fish in their backyards, I keep expecting to turn around and find one on my back porch! :rofl

Wouldn't that make it a frozen fishstick? :P:unsure: Or has the snow left the area already?

wow so many ponds

We didn't notice any mosquitos when we had our first look of the place last summer, but I guess we'll find out this summer whether that actually means there aren't any :P

He means that I will find out wether there are mosquitos or not, as I am the one who always gets bitten :blink:

There is a small lake/large pond behind our apartments with plenty of marshy areas for mosquitoes to breed-- but we don't have a problem with them because there are hundreds of goldfish living in the pond that eat them up before they hatch!

There is a small lake/large pond behind our apartments with plenty of marshy areas for mosquitoes to breed-- but we don't have a problem with them because there are hundreds of goldfish living in the pond that eat them up before they hatch!

We have the same situation at our university campus, but no gf though :unsure:

Guest Isilme

We have the same situation at our university campus, but no gf though :unsure:

Idd no goldfish, but thousands of other fish! Carp (up till 17kgs), giant catfish (1,70m and 35kg), all sorst of other litlle fish, trout and even the ancesor of all goldfish, the silver crustian carp !

giebel.jpg

Guest Isilme

If you know that a big 33kg carp can eat 3kg of food in one blow... I don't know how much a gf weighs exactly, but to beat eating almost 10% of your own body weight is quit a job I think.

How much does a gf weigh?