Sign in to follow this  
zookey

Thin Poo, Odd Bump

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? <20 prior to water change ~~ 10 after the waterchange

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? >7.6 on low test <7.8 on High test

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap? Ph Tests same as out of tap as the tank (no amonia, nitrite, or nitrate from the tap)

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) Dropper style Marine Lab Freshwater Test

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 55 gallon running about 2 months with cycled filters, decor, water, ect .

What is the name and size of the filter/s? One is a penquin 200 gph and the other I don't remember the name of but it filters 500 gph (stamped on the motor)

How often do you change the water and how much? weekly at least 25%

How many fish in the tank and their size? Currently 6 fish -- (1) 3" orandaX, (1) 2" Ryukin, (1) 1" Ryukin, (1) 1" Oranda, (1) 1" Moore, (1) 2" Pearlscale (I am terrible with measurement and only the 3" would swim by a ruler.

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Something I got from the DNR Hatchery that is specialized for ground water based on a water test for heavy metals ect.

Any medications added to the tank? just began salt

Add any new fish to the tank? The Pearlscale was within the last Month (shortly after Mother's Day) She had a very responsible owner who had her as an only fish and treated her for flukes with Prazi and salt when she first got the fish and was very diligent on water quality and changes.

What do you feed your fish? Omega One sinking goldfish food (medium pellets) as their staple food. Ocationally they get peas, bloodworms, tubiflex (?), some other veggies like broccily, spinach, colliflower.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Odd bump, slightly swelled with one protruding scale.

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..? Eating better than normal,

Okay............... so I did an odd water change last night because I had scrubbed the brown algae off the tank walls last weekend before doing the water change but it left the water kinda muddy looking so I did an extra 25% waterchange thinking it will help with the water clarity. During this water change I moved one filter and my Pearlscale got a little spooked (by the cat) and ran into the filter tube thing at the bottom -- the basket thing -- but seemed fine at the time.

This morning I noticed that the water looks better but, the pearlscale has a small spot on her where 1 scale is raised, looks alittle swelled, and may have a small red spot (I am unsure if that is a spot or if it is where the scale is attached). She also has long stringy clear/white poo as well as at least 3 of the other fish. By the looks of the poo I would say they have a bacterial infection so I started Medigold this morning. I also added 1 tsp salt per gallon thinking it would help the Pearlscales "spot".

None of the fish are acting any differently than normal, other than their appatite increases when on MediGold, so they are eating better. The activity level of the fish is actually more active than normal for this time of day -- we are also experiencing thunderstorms/tornadoes so the changes in weather the past couple of days may explain the activity levels.

So what do you guys think......... should I continue to raise the salt level or just leave it at .01% for now and keep an eye on the spot? MediGold should be good for the stringy poo if I feed for 14 days, right? The medigold will also help ward off any infection the Pearlscale could get in the damaged scale area right?

Any suggestions are welcome! (Well of course they are -- if they weren't you wouldn't be posting on here now would you! Doh!!) Sorry that was that funny little voice that lives in my head talking.

It doesn't seem like your fish are stressed or anything, considering how well-established your tank is, so I also think bacterial. I think MediGold is for external bacteria and MetroMeds for internal... I have been wrong on this before so let a mod tell you (and please tell me, too, for future reference!) But once you've started it you should do the full two-week course or you'll risk establishing resistant bacteria.

I think the salt is a good idea, considering that your pearlscale injured herself and has developed a sore. I might raise it to 0.2% after a while... but I am inexperienced with treating injuries. I do know that if the spot becomes more inflamed/infected, you can swab it with hydrogen peroxide.

In conclusion, I believe I was absolutely no help at all and you should wait for a mod. :P

Joy, you are too funny! :lol1 Your advice was great.

Zookey, I dunno, whenever I have done a good scraping and cleaning, I've removed Moby and Florence to prevent them from ingesting the junk that gets loose in the water. I'd suggest a 100% wc, temp and ph matched, to get the gunk out of the water. I doubt that breathing that brown algae crud is good for them. It may be that the pearlscale is more sensitive to the stuff in the water because of her injury. Salt is a great medication for injuries, though, so I would continue that.

As Joy has suggested before, stringy poo can be a result of stress, possibly from the injury, but I'd go with Medigold anyway just in case.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Hi Zookey!

I just want to mention to keep an eye on the red spot to be sure there's no anchor worm. Parasites have a nasty habit of coming around when a fish has been stressed. Hopefully it'll go away on it's own though. :)

Debbie

Well the good news is all the fish in my tank really like MediGold! They eat it faster than any other food I have ever fed. My Pearlscale is not the only fish that had the stringy poo -- her poo looks good now but the 2 ryukins still look stringy but not white anymore.

My Pearlscale's bump is getting alittle odd. It kinda looks like a cone protruding from her body, no red spots or discoloration of any kind other than at the base of the scale but that color is almost all gone now. I am concerned about this thing growing on her though. If it erupts like a pimple what do I treat it with? I want to be prepared.

Being there have been no new fish introduced in Months where would she have contracted an anchor worm -- if that were to be what this turns out to be?

I have done another big water change to help clear the tank of the algae debre, now the tank is cloudy. I think I upset my cycle and have a bacteria bloom since I don't have gravel and I scrubbed the sides and all down to get rid of the diatoms I wonder if I removed to much good bacteria with it. I have experienced this before though: Diatoms, cloud, diatoms, cloud...... seems to be a nasty cycle until the green algae kicks in. It will clear in a couple of days I am sure. Water still tests fine though......

I am sorry I haven't gotten back to this thread to post........ I am currently without computer........ posting from the library..............

My little pearlscale's spot has a very dark red spot on the middle now but looks as if the inflamation is all gone (like a zit that has popped) Hopefully I can post some pictures soon......... the spot doesn't seem to be affecting the pearlscale's behavior or appatite (actually ALL of the fish eat better when being fed MediGold -- is that normal??). Her dorsal is up and there are no marks in her tail or fins. I cleaned water again last night (gettng rid of the floating brown sludge) and my water tested at(before the test):

pH 6.8

Amonia 0

NitrIte: 0

NitrAte: Between the lowest 2 numbers on the card 0.025 and0.5.

Hopefully I can get photos up tomorrow!

Hmm. Let's figure out what is going on with your water.

Your first post had these numbers

Ph Level, >7.6 on low test <7.8 on High test

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? <20 prior to water change ~~ 10 after the waterchange

and now you are reading

pH 6.8

Amonia 0

NitrIte: 0

NitrAte: Between the lowest 2 numbers on the card 0.025 and0.5.

We must understand what is causing your PH to drop. 7.8 down to 6.8 is a very traumatic change for the fish.

Can you test your tap and tank once again and let us know the results? Getting a KH tester would be a very good thing so that we understand how much buffer is in your source water.

Do you have any bog wood in the tank? This stuff releases tanic acids which will drop the PH.

If you think that the fishes 'zit' may have popped, it would be wise to do a very large change-out. Any sore which pops, realeases hundreds of thousands of bacteria straight into your tank, so replacing the water will considerably reduce the escalating count,

Sorry about that...... my ph tests 7.8 not 6.8

The water tested just as good as it has for a long time...... nothing has changed.

Still without computer so I am jumping on at the coffee shop during lunch..... so this will be short.

I looked at the fish this morning and they are all doing fine! Dorsals all raised and looking like sailboats! My pearlscale's spot is dark in the center but all swelling has gone away. I corralled her in a container to get a better look since if you get close to the tank she decides to swim in the back or will only show you her good side, she can actually swim backward! Anyway I was told it could be the hatching of an anchor worm and to keep watching to see if I can see it hanging off the fish........ well there is no sign of anything hanging off of her and the only thing I can see is: the scale is missing on this spot, the center looks like a little scab that is darker in the middle and lighter toward the outside, there is no longer any swelling in the area, and lastly I think she has increased her size by 1/3 since she was originally put in this tank (just grown, not dropsied or anything, just to clarify).

I think she just had an abrassion due to running into the filter tube, like a skinned knee, that got irritated by the algae debre' in the water, possibly a slight infection. I have done 1 mid-week water change due to the looks of the tank and am keeping the water salted at about 0.15-0.2 (or is it 0.015-0.02 55 gallons x 1.5 +/-teaspoons salt). I am also feeding MediGold due to that she had stingy white poo and so did a couple of the other fish. I did notice that my large Ornada X HAD what looked like white rings under his eyes, like his lower eyelid was swelled out away from his face, but since they have all been eating MediGold for almost a week whatever was causing that also cleared up. It could have been the algae in the water irritating his eyes, but you would think lake fish would always have that issue and you don't see it on them, so I am thinking it was the beginnings of pop eye possibly. I am going to continue the MediGold for the full 14 days or possibly extend it to the 30 days of treatment just to make sure that what they have is gone for good. Was planning on talking to Rick @ goldfish connection to make sure it is safe to feed that long and give him all the details, because I hadn't planned on mentioning it here but now I have so if you guys have any input on how long I shoudl feed the MediGold I would appreciate your advise.

So in a nutshell:

the 6 fish are eating MediGold

55 gallons tank treated with 82.5 teaspoons of salt

lump on Pearlscale clearing up (almost completely gone)

white puffiness under Oranda X's eyes cleared

Water parameters all pistine (NO ph swings!)

Thank you for reading and offering your knowlege and help! Hopefully I will have computer at home again soon and can post a picture of what the Pearlscale's spot looked like, I will keep an eye on it just in case.

Thanks again!

Here is a picture of my Pearlscale......... I had better pictures but they won't upload off the camera......... had to use the other digital and the picture wasn't so great but hopefully you can see the spot on her.

Picture006.jpg

Here is the same photo with some brightness adjustment and the "spot is circled.

Picture006-1.jpg

I personally think it is looking pretty good now and given a little more time and clean water with salt I think it looks like it will heal up on it's own.

If any of you disagree PLEASE tell me, I don't want to be guessing and guess wrong.

Thanks

OH, I caught her on video also, it may be kinda long but I think there are a few good shots of her right side that you may be able to see the spot better. She is kinda camera shy.

th_Picture012.jpg

Edited by zookey

How are things now with your pearlscale, Zookey? Does it heal on its own? :)