Sign in to follow this  
32flavors

Anyone Else

I can resist going to the LFS, it's an hour bus ride away. You see, my problem lies in the online stores. Because I'm a student, I'm practically glued to my laptop and Dr. Fosters & Smith, Big Al's, and Goldfish Connection are just a click away. :krazy:

I really shouldn't let myself into pet stores, especially since I'm a poor starving art student >_<. Well,I've always loved to browse the fish section of my local pet stores, though depending on the store it can be somewhat depressing, to say the least. Luckily we have some good pet stores in my local mall and near my house with nice, healthy stocks of goldfish... I'm sure my family is more than sick of me always going into the pet stores! When anyone is making a trip to the mall, I always ask which side they will be on (It's North Americas' largest mall, and both pet stores are on one far side. Walking from the other side would take too long) and beg to go along because I'm obsessed. However, it was on a random wander into a pet store that I found and bought Ophie. I was shocked my mom gave me the go-ahead (not something my mom would normally do). Sadly, I'm not sure I'll be able to bring anything larger than a 15 gallon with me to art school so I can't buy a new tank and tankmate/s for Ophelia just yet. (Of Topic a bit, but how large of a tank can one ship on a plane, without water or livestock in it?)

Darn it, I can feel the pet stores calling my name. "Haaaannaaaah", they say, "cooome weeeee haaaave buuuuuuterfly taaaaiils". O_o

I can resist going to the LFS, it's an hour bus ride away. You see, my problem lies in the online stores. Because I'm a student, I'm practically glued to my laptop and Dr. Fosters & Smith, Big Al's, and Goldfish Connection are just a click away. :krazy:

I can't resist looking at the GFC auctions and at Fish Sempai... it's always sooooooooooo tempting but the fish are always so gorgeous!! Then I say to Thomas: "Can I have $150?" and he asks why and I start whining about ranchus and crown pearlscales and ryukins and how I absolutely must have one. For some reason he always says no, though. :hmm

Yea Desiree... and then you have to get the fish back on the bus! (What LFS are you going to btw? Denny's, B&D?)

I can't resist looking at the GFC auctions and at Fish Sempai... it's always sooooooooooo tempting but the fish are always so gorgeous!! Then I say to Thomas: "Can I have $150?" and he asks why and I start whining about ranchus and crown pearlscales and ryukins and how I absolutely must have one. For some reason he always says no, though. :hmm

Thankfully, I have a secured apartment building and the fish would have to sit in a box all day outside because of my schedule... So, needless to say mailorder fish are OUT of the question. I say thankfully for my wallet's sake, of course... :exactly

Yea Desiree... and then you have to get the fish back on the bus! (What LFS are you going to btw? Denny's, B&D?)

I really like 'The Fish Store' in the Roosevelt/U District neighborhood. That's where I bought my tank and the guys there are actually pretty smart (even about goldfish!!!). Every time I'm there I see the most darling little ranchu and have to remind myself that my tank isn't ready yet... Yeah, an hour bus ride with a fish in tow would not be very nice...

Guest BIGDAWG

well i am new to all this but the last few times i have gone to the LFS to get something i want to get ready, or to look at whats in stock the fish man remembered me. We would talk about what i was doing and what i needed. lol its been 2 days and I am already calling my parents and asking them what happened to their old tank. lol Really want to try and get some live plants going and have my heart set on owning a panda goldfish one day.

well i am new to all this but the last few times i have gone to the LFS to get something i want to get ready, or to look at whats in stock the fish man remembered me. We would talk about what i was doing and what i needed. lol its been 2 days and I am already calling my parents and asking them what happened to their old tank. lol Really want to try and get some live plants going and have my heart set on owning a panda goldfish one day.

Aww that goldfish fever has claimed another victim. There's no turning back now! :exactly

have my heart set on owning a panda goldfish one day.

Those panda goldfish are like a gateway drug. I've always wanted one-- especially a panda demekin. I haven't got one yet but in the meantime I've collected three others and had some fry. :P

One day... one day... I think the line between hobby and obsession is that darn panda colored goldfish. :heart

edit for weird syntax that implied that my month-old fry were already spawning.

Edited by thoughtsofjoy

Those panda goldfish are like a gateway drug.

Hahahahahah!!! :rofl Joy, you just made my evening!

Those panda goldfish are like a gateway drug.

Hahahahahah!!! :rofl Joy, you just made my evening!

But I'm serious! They totally are!! I would spend HOURS searching the interwebs for pictures of panda demekins and just STARE at them. :druel

I even bought a stuffed animal that looks like a panda demekin!! sigrandy.jpg

If I ever see one, like a really nice one, I will buy it. No matter the circumstances. I will stuff it down my shirt to get through customs if I have to. :krazy:

You are too funny!!!! I guess I can relate... that's pretty much how I feel about black Ranchus!!! I had a Panda Oranda once, named him Gizmo because he changed so dramatically, he turned in to a Lemonhead... oh wait, you love those too, huh?! :)

This topic is so funny! In the last few weeks, my boyfriend was out visiting his family in new mexico and I snuck off to the pet store EVERY DAY! I managed to stay away from the actual fish, (except for one close call!) but every day I was coming home with different equipment and decorations and I just needed another bucket to make the maintence easier and blah blah blah. It's addicting! Now my boyfriend's home and I'll be like "well I need to run into the pet store real quick" and I get "NO! You are NOT going to the pet store again!". He says he's kidding but I see the face he makes! His sister just moved into our house and is renting the downstairs.. I told him earlier "The good news is if she stays we get extra money. But the good news is if she moves home I can get a bigger fish tank!". He just looked at me and said "NO bigger tank! I never see you enough as it is". The one store I went in I got a phone number from one of the guys that works in the fish department and now I just tease my bf and tell him if he's not nice about my fish hobby I'm leaving him for the fish guy! lol (And getting a good discount!)

It's just fun. I think for me, and maybe a lot of other people, its just a really relaxing hobby. Even when it's stressful! I've always liked things that are more mathmatical and calculated, and I would have never guessed that fish keeping was those things. And while a lot of people view it as just a lot of work, and not worth it, I've actually come to really like it. I've been in a better mood these last few months doing tank maintence and learning to cycle than I was before hand even with all the problems I kept running into! When I first got the tank back in January I was doing 50% water changes every day trying to keep the ammonia levels down and logging everything and testing everything and rather than be annoyed with it, it felt like a weird escape. I like alone time, and quiet time and it gives you that. I want a huge huge huge piece of land out in the country so I can get horses and dogs and goats and EVERYTHING. When I was younger i had hermit crabs and hampsters and a rat. I just love em all. But no bugs! Reptiles are a maybe. I'd say "EWW" but I think it would be like the rat and if I got one I would like it. No spiders in a million years. Creepy!

Oh yeah! And have you guys ever drive OUT of your way to go to a pet store thats NOT your local store, just because you know you've already been in there too many times this week?! I've done it! One time I went to a store and said to the guy helping me "do you remember me?" and he said "I don't think so!" and I said "OH GOOD because I've already bugged all of your co-workers this week!". It's really sad when you can call up a pet store and say "you know me. I'm the goldfish girl" and they say "oh sure!".

Edited by CountryLovah

I told him earlier "The good news is if she stays we get extra money. But the good news is if she moves home I can get a bigger fish tank!". He just looked at me and said "NO bigger tank! I never see you enough as it is".

:rofl You seriously need to get him addicted, too.

It's really sad when you can call up a pet store and say "you know me. I'm the goldfish girl" and they say "oh sure!".

Haha... I'm almost there.

I told him earlier "The good news is if she stays we get extra money. But the good news is if she moves home I can get a bigger fish tank!". He just looked at me and said "NO bigger tank! I never see you enough as it is".

:rofl You seriously need to get him addicted, too.

That's rather easy: just put him in front of the tank for about an hour and tell him to watch closely :rolleyes: . It works, believe me, I fell victim to this technique :blink::D (though in my case it was just passing by the tank every so often that did it; maybe that and the fact that being a behavioural biologist might make me more susceptible than most :rofl ).

-edit: some typos-

Edited by Erinaceus

My trick was to get Thomas to help with the DIY/engineering/math/chemistry part of it. All I did was ask him to do my water tests when I was feeling ill and BAM. Instant addict!

I think they sell Instant Goldfish Addict on GFC. Might want to order some.

Wow.. joy & quasi- you two are GOOD. You just pulled your men right into it with you like it was nothing lol. I got Shane to help me with a water change. That was hard enough!! He was waiting on me for something and I said I can be up in an hour without your help, but if you help me I can be done in less than 30 minutes! That worked, plus I told him he could bring his beer! LOL. I just have to learn how to mix drinking with fish. Like maybe create a new drinking game. Every time the fish eats a pellet everyone has to take a shot?! With goldfish that wouldn't work though. You'd need way too much liquor!

When I go into pet store the first rule is "eyes on the floor" and the second rule is "stay away from anything alive". Then I hear the kittens mewing and I say to myself "run away, run away" - I pass by the ferret cage, even sleeping they are so adorable, and I say to myself "run away, run away" this is my pet store mantra. But it's so hard not to stop and coo at all the critters, and you'd have to be blind not to notice all the lovely, pretty fishies.

We've got one giant cat, one tiny ferret, one iguana, and two tanks of fish. Hubby says we're not allowed to have any more living things in the house. It's a tough rule I haven't figured a way around yet. I can't adopt or buy, but he's a softie at heart and if something just showed up on our doorstep, we would have to keep it and love it and give it a good home. I just can't figure out how to explain "finding" a stray goldfish.... "honest, honey, i was driving home from work and i saw this flash of fin in the gutter.... i couldn't just leave him there!" Which might work if there was ever any water in the gutters of the desert. Sigh.

And yes, at all four stores I usually shop they know me (and the ferret, who goes everywhere with me) by name. That's not a good sign, is it?

--Roc

I love ferrets. Thomas' family has 4, his older brother has 3, his older brother's housemates have 2... it's hilarious when all nine of them are running around the same house. (And a headache!!) I agree-- it's hard not to look!

There's a LFS 1.5hrs north of me that has puppies in low bins... so you can just reach down and pet them. The golden retriever pups were hard to resist, I tell you. :krazy: I love puppies!

Sue-- you are hilarious. I will share my idea with you though, perhaps it will help. One day I want to do a "bar-themed" tank. I would put green felt under the bottom of the tank and a picture of a dart board as the background. For decor I would use an 8-ball, maybe some plastic, dull darts, and poker chips (for gravel! :rofl ). And I would put plants into shot glasses. Maybe you could do a tank like this and Shane would be drawn into it!!

Wow.. joy & quasi- you two are GOOD.

Don't encoure her (Miki/Quasi I mean), it's bad enough as it is :P

Every time the fish eats a pellet everyone has to take a shot?! With goldfish that wouldn't work though. You'd need way too much liquor!

Never mind the amount of liquor, it would be impossible to keep up with the gf anyway: you'd have to first put 5 glasses in your mouth, and only then think about how you're gonna swallow all that (the question of how to fit it all in your mouth in the first place wouldn't even be considered)! :alc :rofl

Interesting coincidence... or not... but I've seen an increase of commons and comets myself. And I've also seen an increase in sicker fish. Sadly. But, remember, fish are "drop-shipped," which means that the store just gets what it gets when it gets it. The store usually never gets a choice in what it receives. But, they will, eventually, get something in that you're looking for. Patience, as with every aspect of goldfish keeping, is the clue. And I suppose, willpower. Don't just buy something, anything, just because you went in to the store and you feel you just need to buy something. Keep going back at about 2-4 week intervals; which is the usual drop-ship timeframe. Eventually, even if it takes a year, you'll find something you're looking for and in good condition. Unless you're willing to go into the piscean nursing profession, just don't ever settle because you're dying for a new fish.

I love ferrets. Thomas' family has 4, his older brother has 3, his older brother's housemates have 2... it's hilarious when all nine of them are running around the same house. (And a headache!!) I agree-- it's hard not to look!

There's a LFS 1.5hrs north of me that has puppies in low bins... so you can just reach down and pet them. The golden retriever pups were hard to resist, I tell you. :krazy: I love puppies!

Sue-- you are hilarious. I will share my idea with you though, perhaps it will help. One day I want to do a "bar-themed" tank. I would put green felt under the bottom of the tank and a picture of a dart board as the background. For decor I would use an 8-ball, maybe some plastic, dull darts, and poker chips (for gravel! :rofl ). And I would put plants into shot glasses. Maybe you could do a tank like this and Shane would be drawn into it!!

That is hilarious. I saw a martini glass shaped fish bowl the other day and thought that might look nice in my tank. I was also thinking of planting in barware. The poker chip gravel is too funny.

I do think most of the people in the stores here think I'm crazy though for coming in about once a week and leaving with no fish. My reasoning is that I plan on having these fish for years so I want to get the "right" fish. I can only find one store in town that orders their fish and the guy who does the ordering told me he hasn't found any oranda available from their breeder in a while, but he's sure they'll start coming in soon.

I know what you mean. I have two or three reputable LFS that I go visit from time to time and they always ask me if I need help and I just say I'm looking. I go because I know I can't have more, but it's just nice to go see all the cute fish, even if I can't have 'em. It's great you have found a store that orders, so just keep checking with that guy and you'll eventually find what you're looking for.

Oooooh I like the bar themed idea! How fun!!!! Last night we had a few friends over and my friend Matt said "hey are you getting another fish tank or something?" and then the topic turned to "She's not allowed any more tanks or live creatures!". I said "oh I can TOTALLY get your permission if I try hard enough". He's very easy to bribe. : ) Tanya (his sister) said "well I see you're already trying to kick me out to use my room as the fish room, and he said "thats mean!" and I said "well you can go with her and I can have 2 fish rooms!". (He's got a little den type room. Perfect for pets!).

I've been going in the stores and looking a lot too. Just to see what they have. I know I wont be getting any more fish for a least a month, since both tanks have new fish. But knowing me the second that intital month is up, I'll be looking for the next one ;) Yesterday I went to one of the chain stores where my friend works. She said "take my goldfish please!" She's got two commons that are huge. I said "I don't have room for them in my tanks" and started telling her about the water requirements and stuff. I think she has goldfish mixed with trops.. and when I told her that fancies needed 10 she said "no they dont! .....well I guess they do get kinda big". And shes the fish dept. manager! lol Great huh? I had all this equipment in my cart and she said "are you SERIOUS?". She couldn't believe I took it so seriously. Then another worker came up and said "I just posted for the first time on AquariaCentral and I said "Koko's Goldfish for me!"... LOL

Now that I've found that nice store, I don't think I could go back to buying from the chain stores. There's such a difference. My new orandas are already so cute and chubby and healthy looking. And now when I got to the chain stores I just notice all the ickiness in the tanks. Not that there aren't exceptions. I've got 3 of the same type of store in my area. 1 is okay, 1 SUCKS and 1 is really pretty good. Just depends on the manager and stuff I guess. I got my Black Moor at the good one. But it's still fun to look at the tanks and fish no matter where you go.. Ya never know who might stick out!

Edited by CountryLovah

Since I do not know for sure if I can bring a tank lager than 10 gallons with me to art school, I really should avoid pet stores. But of course, I find myself in the local mall with an hour to spare, waiting for my mom at the starbucks, in the side of the mall where not one but TWO pet stores are located. The animatronic dragon and sea lion show could keep me occupied for only so long. Of course I had to go check them out! In any case, I went in mostly because I wanted to check out prices for tanks and stands, and look at tank decor. Anyway, the first store I went into.... all I can say is YIKES! All their fish, not just the goldies, were in poor condition. They did have about four beautiful specimens, two orandas, a calico ryukin and a black moore, all maybe 5 inches long, but each in a tiny 5 gallon which wouldn't be as bad..... if I hadn't seen those same fish in those same tanks over two or three months ago. They were way overpriced, and hadn't been marked down at all. Though if I had any tank space for them at all I would've talked to someone, point out that they have been there a long time and maybe get them to lower the price and take them all home on the spot. *sigh* If only. But the other pet store was much better. Bigger fish selection, healthier looking fish, including these incredibly cute pearlscales no bigger than a penny! I also had my eye on a very nice 20 gallon tank/stand setup. They were having a tank sale! >_<. I hope I find out where I'm going to be living and how big a tank I can have soon.