Sign in to follow this  
32flavors

Anyone Else

Well, I am in the market for a new oranda, but am a little picky. I really love those nice round bellies and lately all I see are thin, longer bodied fish. I guess maybe because it's breeding season now, they're a bit scarce? I went to a few pet stores today and saw a bubble eye I fell in love with, but he was bottom sitting and I don't have the experience to "save" a fish. It would break my heart if I couldn't. I also saw a very pretty ryukin in a tank filled with fantails and a very large blue oranda that was lacking in wen growth, but beautiful nonetheless. Long story short, I left sulking with no fish because I didn't find what I was looking for and didn't want to get a fish just for the sake of having a new fish. I also saw a very cute puppy for adoption, but my landlord would kill me. i think I just need to steer clear of pet stores for a bit

I'm always warned when I go to go into the pet store ..NO FISH!!!!.. :rolleyes: ..I'm allowed to go to the fish sempai this summer but I'm gonna wait till all the vacations are done ..and maybe the weather a little cooler..I have plans to spend a little more than usual so I need to SAVE !!! ..

Guest Montman

Yes, my wife rolls her eyes when I want to go to the pet store.

I don't really have room for more fish but I can use some more equipment - like a tank for more fish. :rofl

She knows that when I do something I tend to go all out.

Hold on 32flavors. The right fish will find you soon!!!

Or perhaps two of the right fish. ;)

i've cut myself off from those stores. i just get myself into trouble :P . but believe me, the right fish will come along. just when you're not quite ready and not really expecting it, it'll pop right in to say "Here I Am!!"

I've learned to avoid pet stores OR go in with a very specific list, otherwise I come out broke and my tank gets overstocked :P

My bf usually doesn't mind whenever I say I want to look in a pet store--he even encourages me. He'll come in and look at the fish, pointing out ones he likes. If I buy one he says "Only one?? Might as well get two or three." So It's fun but yeah I'm overstocked! :P

My bf usually doesn't mind whenever I say I want to look in a pet store--he even encourages me. He'll come in and look at the fish, pointing out ones he likes. If I buy one he says "Only one?? Might as well get two or three." So It's fun but yeah I'm overstocked! :P

I wish my husband was like that, but he talks me into being responsible. After our initial goldfish experience of being overstocked and not understanding cycling a tank, wasting money on unnecessary medications, he's the voice of reason for me. I think he's a bit over cautious sometimes. He wants to quarantine each fish for at least 6 weeks before going into the big tank. I guess better safe than sorry though. Although there was one time with a beautiful lemonhead oranda before we got another tank that he told me to go ahead and get her if I really wanted to. I was really sad the whole way home, but I knew that was a bad idea.

Oh, thank God! I thought I was the only one who had problems when going into the pet store. It's an obcession with me. I go in, some fish calls my name and the next thing I know I've got one more fish. I'm over-stocked too and I want a panda moor soooooo bad. I've only seen one once a couple of years ago before I got into this hobby. We don't get pandas much where I live. :(

Edited: If anyone has got one about 3-4 inches big that they like to get rid of let me know. We can talk about price and shipping.

Edited by shubunkin lover

My girlfriend can manage to control herself in a pet store, but she'd prefer not to :)

In our case it doesn't really help not going to pet stores, coz most of our friends are also animal crazy :P . Right now we've (only) got 8 goldfish and a golden retriever (of the canine variety), but I'd estimate that in say a year we'll probably have an extra dog (a puppy, coz Miki would really like one (me too, I confess!)), a pair of zebra finches (courtesy of Miki's father), possibly a guinea pig (if Isilme's does turn out to be pregnant), maybe one or more extra gold fish from our garden pool (I hope to put up a post on that somewhere next week :D ) and quite likely some chickens and maybe a resident hedgehog if we're able to attract one. Oh yeah, and maybe a Shubunkin for me (I'm rather fond of them) if we can manage it...

In conclusion, I can completely relate :rofl

Since I have a big spare 40 gallons rubbermaid, I was thinking of buying myself a pet turtle for a change... lucky for me I have self-control, especially when you have to think about how much the lightning, decorations, food and Vet will cost. >_<

Well,I should definately stay out of them,lol. Went for food and came home with a very unplanned Fantail,sigh.

Kathy

The whole animal crazy thing is problem for me too. Not just fish. I use to raise finches 10 years ago. Got out of it. To much work and cost alot to feed them all. But today I found myself on a finch forum looking at different finches and fanatizing what type I'd like to get. Aaaaahhhhh!!! Someone stop me before bring something home. LOL I think I may have to hide my credit card from myself. Yeah, like that'll work. :rolleyes::rofl3

Guest Nemo & Cynthia

That is how I became the owner of Cynthia. I was getting dog food and I just happened to have a $5 gift card on me and I just drifted away from the Dog Section and Cynthia just happened to catch my eye and I knew :aint: was going to be the answer my mom would give me but it wouldn't hurt if I just asked my mom if I could have her and :nana for some reason my mom said yes. gasp... :blush:

Guest Lorelei

yes, whenever i go into a petstore, i wanna rescue all the animals and i start crying when i realize that i can't buy all of them and love them to death. it's very embarassing so i try to not look at the animals and just buy what i need.

:(

Guest Lorelei

hahahaha yes i too have a supportive boyfriend. he doesn't know anything about fish, except that i'm obsessed with mine. so whereas he usually tries to get me to be more careful with my money in every other instance, we go to the pet store to get things for Mad Eye and he just says, 'i don't know, just get whatever you think he needs.' :happydance and he helps me choose the prettiest plants and decorations and things for the new tank i'm going to install soon. :D

My girlfriend can manage to control herself in a pet store, but she'd prefer not to :)

In our case it doesn't really help not going to pet stores, coz most of our friends are also animal crazy :P . Right now we've (only) got 8 goldfish and a golden retriever (of the canine variety), but I'd estimate that in say a year we'll probably have an extra dog (a puppy, coz Miki would really like one (me too, I confess!)), a pair of zebra finches (courtesy of Miki's father), possibly a guinea pig (if Isilme's does turn out to be pregnant), maybe one or more extra gold fish from our garden pool (I hope to put up a post on that somewhere next week :D ) and quite likely some chickens and maybe a resident hedgehog if we're able to attract one. Oh yeah, and maybe a Shubunkin for me (I'm rather fond of them) if we can manage it...

In conclusion, I can completely relate :rofl

Wow, you two are almost as bad as Thomas and I!!!

In my dreams, I would love to have a big house on a big lot--- lots of acreage. I want to have a fish room--- mostly fancy goldfish, but probably start up a tropical tank and I'm sure Thomas would want to do something crazy like marine or brackish. A giant pond filled with single-tailed goldfish (and wakins, jikins), a smaller fancy pond (tamasabas, top-view ranchus, ryukins). I want lovebirds, a chinchilla, a cat, multiple dogs-- I'm sure Thomas would want ferrets-- probably some gerbils, too. And of course I would have to have a whole room devoted to the keeping of one pet: my boyf. :rofl With lots of tools to keep him occupied!! And maybe one day a little fry of my own. :heart

Animal crazy, we are.

And I'd probably become a foster home for an animal rescue shelter, too. :P

Since I have a big spare 40 gallons rubbermaid, I was thinking of buying myself a pet turtle for a change... lucky for me I have self-control, especially when you have to think about how much the lightning, decorations, food and Vet will cost.

Good thinking :D I've had one for 13 years and they are work, work, work!

As for too many pets, I've found the solution....move into a 1 bedroom apartment :P

I just did and I have come to the realization that no more animals are physically going to fit.......however, I do have room for one more goldie now ;)

Wow, you two are almost as bad as Thomas and I!!!

I'll take that as a compliment :D

In my dreams, I would love to have a big house on a big lot--- lots of acreage. I want to have a fish room--- mostly fancy goldfish, but probably start up a tropical tank and I'm sure Thomas would want to do something crazy like marine or brackish. A giant pond filled with single-tailed goldfish (and wakins, jikins), a smaller fancy pond (tamasabas, top-view ranchus, ryukins). I want lovebirds, a chinchilla, a cat, multiple dogs-- I'm sure Thomas would want ferrets-- probably some gerbils, too.

A very nice dream. I really hope you'll be able to make it a reality :) . (if so, pictures are mandatory ;) )

I had forgotten about a cat (I'm more of a dog person, but Miki would rather like one), and a large pond (in about 10 years or something; I already made some sketches :P ). A small pond we already have, but we'll need to do some serious cleaning up before we could even consider putting any fish in it. Right now you even have to go on a small indiana-jones-like expedition to get to it :wacko:

And of course I would have to have a whole room devoted to the keeping of one pet: my boyf. :rofl With lots of tools to keep him occupied!!

I suppose you guys regularly get told you're a really cute couple :clapping:

And I'd probably become a foster home for an animal rescue shelter, too. :P

I think Miki would give you a run for your money on that :rofl and I love her for it :wub:

Since I have a big spare 40 gallons rubbermaid, I was thinking of buying myself a pet turtle for a change... lucky for me I have self-control, especially when you have to think about how much the lightning, decorations, food and Vet will cost.

Good thinking :D I've had one for 13 years and they are work, work, work!

As for too many pets, I've found the solution....move into a 1 bedroom apartment :P

I just did and I have come to the realization that no more animals are physically going to fit.......however, I do have room for one more goldie now ;)

LOL You've come up with a very good solution there. My solution has been living in a small 2 bedroom with my husband and daughter. We have one dog now, but have managed not to get another one for a couple of years. I did try to convince my husband that we should adopt my little sister's chinchilla since she is not very capable of taking care of it. I got a big fat no on that one. I also almost adopted a puppy a few months ago that was tied to a friend's neighbor's tree for almost a week with no food or water. We took her home and she was the greatest dog, but we just couldn't keep her. It only took 2 days to find her a good home though.

My brother in law has 2 dogs, 4 cats, 4 ferrets, 6 fish, and used to have a snake and another dog so at least my house isn't quite that crouded yet.

I had to go to the lfs today for supplies (and yes, I legitimately had to :P ) and he had a tank full of beauties!!!! Blue orandas, calicos, a huge white fantail....I'm sure the poor guy is still mopping up my drool. But...I resisted, yay me :D

[quote name='Chrissy_Bee' date='Jun 12 2008, 04:51 AM' post='776676'

Chrissy, I live in a 1 bedroom apt. and already have 7 tanks. Not to mention 3 cats. So that didn't work for me! :rofl My home is my sanctuary for sure....nothing I love more than lounging around and gazing at my critters.

My problem isn't so much with the fish, but the supplies! BigAl'sOnline is the biggest temptation for me. I love buying new airstones, backgrounds, rocks, etc. And I just treated myself to the 50' Python....YAY! It arrived today. Now I can't wait to do my water changes! :D I think I need more than a support group...

:D I think I need more than a support group...

Don't we all... sometimes I wonder just where that line between hobby and obsession is...

:P

:exactly If you find it, let me know! :D

i can't walk into a pet store without being draged out..and my little siblings hate it when i say "can we go to the pet store?" :rolleyes: