Sign in to follow this  
koko

Goldfish Moarning

Interesting video :D Fish should have been taken out but you can see they do :D

The guy in the video sure can talk a lot!

It is always interesting to me how hard it is for people to believe that fish are intelligent and can have feelings. They can believe that of dogs and other animals, but not fish.

I didn't watch the whole 13+ minutes -- does anything else happen at the end?

I skipped to the end, guy does talk to much, and at the end he gets 2 more buddies :D

Yeah the guy really does talk a lot.

i was fully intending on watching the whole thing through, but then i got annoyed...

and skimmed through it.

so his conclusion is that the goldfish mourned by the side of it's friend for about 35 minutes.

he buried the dead fish in a box in his front yard..

and then got two more fish.

The guy's fascination is amusing. :D

I wonder if the red-cap was just napping. I've caught a couple of my fish huddle in the corner together taking a nap.

Edited by pumpkinPatch

I've seen a few of mine mourn like that - it is really surprising how attached they can become. I lost one overnight and found her buddy repeatedly pushing her body back to the filter return and trying to keep her under the flowing water. It was just heartbreaking to watch. He bit me when I reached in to remove the body, too, to make me stop.

Some of them don't react much to the other fish passing.

I stopped watching after a while-- that guy was very annoying.

But it is so sad. Just goes to prove that our fish are much more than just "feeders" or "throw-away" fish as some people think.

Edited by thoughtsofjoy

Poor fishies...

The video was too long...

But at least he got new friends in the end.

I know that fish reacts when another fish gets sick or disappear (die).

I have seen that in my own tanks.

Guest Sablerain

Anthropomorphism anyone? Seems to me his live fish could be sick too...and then he adds two more... :wacko:

That video was horribly sad......... the man was annoying as he commentated about the poor mourning fish..... (I turned the speakers off) so I could watch the entire thing. I have to credit the guy for caring about his fish and giving it a burial in the yard...and wanting the redcap to have a friend.... but then he goes to Pet Co buys 2 new fish and floats them for an hour and releases them and the Pet Co. water into his tank! No QTing them at all........ I just hope his redcap and the new fish don't end up dying of something that he could have easily prevented by keeping the new fish in Quarenteen for awhile.

What a drama queen that guy was! It was sweet that he was so fascinated by it; a much better option than just flushing, but he was dramatic. lol! But, I think it's true. Yeah, we do apply anthropomorphism to our pets, but I have seen a marked behavioral change in my surviving fish when their buddy dies. They do appear to be depressed. But, then I was just cringing when the guy got more fish. From a chain store. Three medium sized fancies in what appears to be a 20 gallon tank. No quarantine. Dumping the fish store water into his tank. Arrghhh! It was long because the guy was trying to make it like a little documentary short. But, the overall intent of the story was sweet.