Hatchlings!

:heart Welcome my extended family! I recently saved a piece of a clutch of eggs and 'incubated' it, thinking I would get a dozen or two babies. Uhm, I have at least 50! I have no idea what to do with them all, but they are so cute so who cares? :exactly As of today they are 10 days old, and have already doubled in size. They are eating boiled fresh veggies just like their parents. Time for pics!

Here they are about 4 days old eating a green bean. :D This is an extreme closeup; they were less than 1/8" long.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/Crit...tchlings1wk.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/Crit...chlings1wk2.jpg

Here they are eating squash, about 4 days ago.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/Crit...hlings4days.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/Crit...lings4days3.jpg

Just for size comparison, here's a pic of the momma outside the breeder box the hatchlings are in. :)

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/Crit...r/mombabies.jpg

Both parents are blues, which means all the babies should be as well. But I have about 12 ivories in there! I'm guessing because one grandparent was ivory, this color gene carried on to the second generation? Who knows. I am just excited to have some ivories in that HUGE batch of blues! :heart

Joy, I have no idea! I expect a few may die, but the majority will survive. I may have to put some in with the cories and some in the nursery tank as well. I won't put any in with the goldies though...the snails would starve for sure! I don't know anyone that wants snails...most people don't think they are cute like I do. :D I do know that my neighbor friend has an empty 20g he's been trying to pawn off on me.... I'm afraid I'll get evicted or cause a power failure if I add any more tanks though!

Yes they are Pumpkin! I thought that pic would help people see just how small they are. When first hatched, they are smaller than this letter--> o Wow!

:rofl Joy if it were legal I would gladly ship you some of them. Do they not sell them at your lfs?

Love the new avatar, btw. You two are too cute.

:rofl Joy if it were legal I would gladly ship you some of them. Do they not sell them at your lfs?

Actually according to Desiree (lives in Seattle), apple snails are illegal in Washington state. :blink:

Love the new avatar, btw. You two are too cute.

Thankies. We do try. :heart

Edited by thoughtsofjoy

Oh!!! They are so cute! I absolutely love the blue and ivories. They look speckled, which makes them even cuter!

They are illegal here in California now, too. :( Thanks, irresponsible people who let them go in the wild and make them illegal in so many places now. :(

I hope you find homes for them! Keep us updated with pictures!

Actually according to Desiree (lives in Seattle), apple snails are illegal in Washington state. :blink:

Well that stinks! They are so much fun to keep...I like to gross my mom out when she's over by taking one out and letting it crawl on my hand. :D I've been told at the lfs that it is illegal for me to sell them my babies, but yet they have snails in their tanks for sale. :blink: What's the difference? Oh well...I've decided I'll probly take my neighbor up on the offer of a free tank...I'm gonna need it with all those babies I have!

Oh!!! They are so cute! I absolutely love the blue and ivories. They look speckled, which makes them even cuter!

They are illegal here in California now, too. :( Thanks, irresponsible people who let them go in the wild and make them illegal in so many places now. :(

I hope you find homes for them! Keep us updated with pictures!

Yes when they are tiny their shells are translucent with blue spots...I think that is when they are the cutest! *runs to check tank* Wow I swear they get bigger every day. I put a chunk of squash 2 nights ago in their breeder box, and it's almost completely gone already. Little piggies! :heart

I doubt I find anyone to take any of them, which is fine with me. I love them! More pics to come soon. :D

<3!!! I raised about three generations of apple snails, and it is a blast for sure. They are adorable, and there is nothing more satisfying than peeping in the tank and seeing those solid, smooth shells from being in one place all their lives with great water quality. Make sure you are keeping on top of your calcium levels in your snail tank, when they are this small they need it more than ever because they are putting down the foundation for their lifelong homes right there on their back. :)

I would take them :D

How do you find if there legal or not?

FC, you can ask someone at your lfs, they should know. I'm afraid in most states it is illegal to import/ship them though. Do they sell them at your lfs?

Hi Melissa! I haven't seen you on here in a while! :) Yeah I have Kent's Liquid Calcium that I add to the tank, and I also have chunks of cuttle bone in the filter. Also, I have found that if I drop in a calcium tablet, the adults LOVE to eat it! Nothing funnier that seeing bright white poo spots in the tank! :lol1 I put one in every couple days. Between the 3 there is always some form of calcium being added to the tank, and I think their shell growth is at it's best because of it now. How long has it been since you bred snails? I just love them....they are the cutest! :heart And getting bigger every day.

Woops....dunno why I called you Melissa! Sorry hun!

Edited by Goldyfan