3 Gal Tank To 12 Gal Tank?

Guest cathyg

Guest cathyg

I posted a question earlier this week about my black moor, bert -- I originally was sold 3 gal tank but through this site I quickly learned that it was far too small. I needed to wait until this weekend to get the new tank so I did frequent changes. In the last couple of days Bert has been doing well.

I am getting my new tank tomorrow and I don't want to necessarily take when the pet store tells me to be true. So....I thought I would set up the new tank and let it start cycling for a few days and then switch him over. As that the best way to do it?

Do I use part of the water from the smaller tank that has been cycling for 7 days for the new 12 gallon tank? What about the gravel?

Thank you so much for your help.

Guest Montman

I'd set up the new tank, fill it, condition the water and let it run for about 24 hours then move your fish into it along with all of his water.

Then keep an eye on your water parameters and keep up the water changes.

Guest Montman

Oops, forgot about the gravel question.

I have always used an undergravel filter and a standard aquarium gravel.

But many people aren't using gravel at all these days.

I've learned on this site that there is a concern about gravel - that goldfish will pick it up and could get it stuck in their mouth or throat.

But I don't know if they are recommending only large pebbles that the fish cannot get in it's mouth - or if they believe the tiny gravel is OK since the GF can spit it out.

I'm sure someone will answer this for you.

One of the major problems with gravel in a small tank is the fact that it takes up oxygen space. If I were you I wouldn't but the gravel in or replace it with large pebbles, go for a barebottom tank. You'll be able to keep the tank cleaner and your Bert will have that extra bit of oxygen!

But I don't know if they are recommending only large pebbles that the fish cannot get in it's mouth - or if they believe the tiny gravel is OK since the GF can spit it out.

I'm sure someone will answer this for you.

Larger stones that the goldfish cannot fit in it's mouth at all is ideal. Sometimes they may have a problem spitting the smaller pebbles out, it will get caught in their throat and you'll either have to get it out delicately with tweezers or the fish may end up dying before you even know what's going on. It's just better not to take the chance.

Barebottom is a really good option. I have a few large stones at the bottom of my tank but there is still plenty of room around them. If you have a gravel cleaner siphon thing, then you can clean up all the left overs on the bottom with ease without taking too much water out of the tank per water change. It makes it much easier on you and less stressful for your fish.