Kinda Bein' A Bottom Sitter

Hello!

As some of you know I brought home a baby oranda the other day. He's in a 5 gallon Rubbermaid tub with a Penguin Biowheel 150 on it. The filters and bio media are all cycled and his water params are good. He is in 0.3% salt right now and getting a Prazi Pro treatment too. This is his third day on Prazi, I've dosed 1/4 teaspoon twice. Following the dosing schedule quoted from Rick at GFC, recommended for new fish in QT. I also did a hydrogen peroxide dip (1 pt peroxide, 9 pts tank water) for 10 seconds when I first brought him home.

At this time, he is just kind of swimming in place. He hovers in the same spot constantly. He looks alert and wiggly, but doesn't snarf for food like other GF do, doesn't swim around and explore. Could the current on the filter be too strong? Is it just the new kid blues? He has a place to hide but stays out in the open.

What could it be? :unsure:

Just give him a little time. I found the same thing with my newest goldie, but after a couple of weeks of TLC in the QT tank he became really active.

Then again, it could be something, but I'd wait and see if the Prazi and good food help him come around :)

I also noticed that some of my GF were a bit inactive and jumpy when I had them in quarantine in a rubbermaid tub. Not sure if this was due to stress from being in a new environment, or the opaquish sides of the tub. Pretty soon after they got transferred to the glass tanks though, they were alright and swimming happily like normal. So don't worry, he may perk up once you transfer him.

Thanks you guys, kinda made me smile. I'll give him some time, he is soooooo cuters, I don't want to lose him.

Thank YOU!! :rolleyes:

What no photos?? :o We have got to see photos!!

And I agree Critter is settling into his new environment. Just about every goldie I've had has done the same thing...

In my experience new goldies are skittish and sulky. My Reba is STILL afraid of my hand in the tank, and I've had her since April. :)

You've got a great QT process going on, so I think you just have to be a little patient. :P:heart