32c ...42c.... With Humidex

ok Today is a hot one !!!!! besides running my central air (very expensive) ..all the time is their other ways for quik remedy ways to help them through a heatwave ..can I freeze water bottles and put them in the tank without risking crakcing my tank with a cold spots in my tank?????

Yes, just get spring water gallon jugs, put water in them and freeze it. then put them in the tank, it works very well during hot summer days. Another method that i've heard of that requires more effort is to get a pump and a bucket of ice and then pump water through a tube that goes through that ice and back into the tank. Hope this helps.

I think the frozen bottles are your best bet for an easy temp control method. The bottle becomes a reusable ice pack that doesn't dilute the tank water, and gradually cools the tank. Some people add ice directly to the tank, but then it has to be dechlorinated ice.

awesome guys !!!!!! it is terrible out there ..right now my tanks are at 78..with the ac going hopefully we will be able to bring it down a bit ...but I'm glad I'm able to do the frozen jug thing !! thanks for the suggestions !!!! ..it's gonna be my first summer with goldies ...can yah tell :rolleyes:

Another trick that I've heard of is to take the hood off and angle a fan across the top of the water to create surface agitation. Luckily goldies are pretty resilient and a temp of 78 should be just fine. My sicky has to be kept at 80-82 all the time. My biggest worry is always that transition period in the spring or fall when the temperature changes. It always seems like that's when they are most susceptible to getting illness.

Just to let you know, it is really hot here every summer, and my fish seem okay with fairly warm tanks. We run the a/c, but only cool the house to 78-80 F. So my tanks have been at 78-80 for at least a month now. The goldfish are doing fine at that temperature. I just make sure that they have plenty of surface agitation so the water stays oxygenated.