Sign in to follow this  
Guest Blodyn

Yawning Fish.

Guest Blodyn

Hi all,

I was wondering, do fish yawn?

My five Gold fish appear healthy and well touch wood! :fishtank:

However they do a strange thing, they yawn several times a day, or what I call a yawn.

They push their mouths out in an O shape for a few seconds then return to normal.

Why?? :why:

I am not sure why they do that, but it seems like they are yawning, stretching their mouth. Like when we are tired, we like to stretch. So nothing to be worried about, all goldfish that i've seen do it all the time.

Guest Blodyn

Thanks for your help, puts my mind at rest.

:r030:

Yawning can be a symptom of irritation of the gills ...flukes for instance will cause Yawning ..watch for these other symptoms to go along with it ..rolling of the eyes ,twitching fins fast ,darting around the tank,and flashing (rubbing against objects).if you see any of these symptoms don't go running to your nearest local fish to grab anything for flukes.. the best meds and the most gentle is Prazi it will not even kill the cycle of your tank and not hurt your fish ...if you cannot find Prazi the next best thing is parasite clear tabs which contains prazi .among other stuff..never use meds in a tank with unstable water ..this can be lethel .. :)

My fish does this too, he has been flashing lately and rubbing himself against objects too, i presumed it was because my water had gotten in a really bad state it's all clear now so i'm going to keep an eye on that for the next few days.. :)

Hmm, if your fish seem healthy, then it should be no problem, but if you see other symptoms like hi-d said, then it should not be ignored. Just keep a close eye on your fish, as long as the yawning isn't in excess, then he should be ok.

Hmm, if your fish seem healthy, then it should be no problem, but if you see other symptoms like hi-d said, then it should not be ignored. Just keep a close eye on your fish, as long as the yawning isn't in excess, then he should be ok.

for sure fantail :) ..an odd yawn is ok ...exsessive yawning only means to watch very closely for these other symptoms and I mean closely you don't want to over look but you don't want to jump the gun either :D

So at what point can you say, yes, my fish definitely has flukes? I know you can search under a microscope to find out, but how bout just based on symptoms? Is there a certain progression, or a particular combination of signs/symptoms that point to flukes. Also, I'm sure I'll be able to tell when the fish is in bad shape and there's no doubt something's wrong, so just to clarify I'm looking for the earliest point that I can start treatment. Sorry if this has already been discussed in other threads.

ha ha thats why flukes suck !!! best thing oyu can do is rule out water issues I assume ..ragged fins also can be caused by flukes too...the best thing I would use is Prazi it is gentle and dosn't hurt the cycle... people use it in Q for a new fish as a percaution and use it once a year and in ponds twice a year ..basically like flea trement for dogs and cats ..but I don't have a microscope either ..so I have to look for clues as well ..so best place to check if your fish are acting weird is always the water ..and go from there ....I mean thats what I do any ways ..prazi can't hurt ..I just wouldn't go for those other harsh treatments for flukes...I't hard to pinpoint thats for sure .. :)

Edited by hi-d