Sign in to follow this  
Ranchugirl

Beware Of Pea Soup Water In The Hot Nights!

Well, it was pretty upsetting for my hubby this morning when he went outside doing his usual stuff of letting the dogs out and checking up on his koi. Apparently, the power went out last night, and their filter wasn't running. The power cord goes into a room of the house where my stepson's German Shephard is until he gets delivered to Germany. The dog must have played around last night and accidentally knocked the power cord out of the wall.

The main pond has deep green pea soup, and without the filters running there wasn't enough oxygen in the water. Algae (floating and otherwise) sucks up oxygen during the night, and all the 22 inhabitants of the pond died of suffocation. :(

My hubby was so devastated this morning, and in the first anger he wanted to drop the dog off at the animal shelter. It has been quite a dilemma with Sara for a while now - she barks at night at some cats she hears outside, wakes everybody up numerous times because of it, and in general is a bit of a nuisance. She does sitz, and Platz, she can give you her paw, but otherwise is completely untrained, which means she pulls like crazy every time we let her out. No heel, nothing. Of course, it isn't her fault - she just wasn't trained properly.

But anyway, gone are 22 beautiful koi, hubby's biggest koi, and the ones that made it through the disaster with the overflowing pond when hubby forgot to shut off the hose in the evening, and chlorinated water was running into the pond all night without enough Prime. They were the proud survivors of that incident, and it is so upsetting to see them go that way now after all this. Hubby had them for at least 5 years, and some of them were the offspring to 1000s of little koi during the last 3 years.

Here they are during better times, happy in their 8x26 ft pond.... One of my favorite you can't even see on the picture. He was yellow/white, like a Kohaku, but instead of the red he had a deep yellow.

HungryKoiBigPond08.jpg

Their finished home, now filled with some of their offspring to keep the filters cycled.

BigPond08.jpg

Temporary housing in a smaller pond while their main pond gets a good scrubbing. The smaller fish are some of their babies.

FishInOctagonPond.jpg

Here they are in St. Cloud about 4 years ago. You can see my favorite koi right there in the middle - the yellow butterfly. She didn't make it after the incident with the running water all night, but she had some nice fry while she was alive..... sigh....

BigKoiShot.jpg

They are now all burried in the backyard. We did some re-arranging all day and cleaning to get the water clear, however long that will last with the heat and the partial sun that shines on the ponds. :(

boy... that's just... man. :(

I think I'd want to kill the dog myself...

Edited by Man Yu

Wow, what a catastrophe! Green water is supposed to be such a GOOD thing...

^not really... it's only good if the pond is not overstocked. But 22 koi in unaerated greenwater at NIGHT is just a heartbreak waiting to happen

Man! Andrea that is terrible! What beautiful big fish. I'm so sorry.

Time to call the Dog Whisperer........

Oh that is so heartbreaking Andrea. What a horrendous thing to wake to :cry1 That is a terrible, terrible tragedy :cry1

It will take the patience of a saint to forgive your dog but please do! He doesn't know what he did :( Your poor, poor beautiful fish.

Your butterfly yellow was an truly amazing looking koi.

What a terrible thing to happen! That is just so sad. Such large, beautiful fish to lose.

Oh Andrea... what a dreadful shock that must have been for your hubby to find. :cry1 Our hearts and deepest sympathies go out to you and your hubby during this traumatic time.

The anger with the dog is understandable. But like others have said, he certainly couldn't realize what he had done. Maybe installing an outlet outside might be necessary in the future.

Rest In Peace, beautiful Koi. :rip: May you swim happily in the Heavenly Waters.

I hope you both feel better soon. :k055:

:hug

Debbie

That is so terrible. Such a loss of so many beautiful creatures. It is very understandable that your husband is just furious. It is a good thing that a person is not at fault for this catastrophe -- otherwise there could be many more hard feelings.

Oh my gosh! ... that's just dreadful!! :crying::why: I bet you are both heartbroken. :hug

Ummn, what are you going to do with the remains?

That's just awful! What a terrible thing to wake up to. How do you say "Bad Dog" in German?

"Schlechter Hund" its what you call it in german. :)

Thank you so much for all your kind words - it is greatly appreciated. Of course we are not that mad at Sara anymore, it wasn't really her fault. It was just the heat of the moment. When she looks at you with her brown eyes, you can't be mad at her for long. EXCEPT when she barks her head of in the middle of the night numerous times... :rolleyes:

Debbie, its good to see you back here! I was going to update the kitten pictures, but, oh yes, have forgotten. Ahem....

Annette, we burried them all in the backyard. That is where they belong. Somehow I couldn't see them stuck in a trashbag on the garbage dumpster. We dug them in nice and deep, so nobody would get any ideas digging.

It is a bit better this morning - hubby is doing better. We had great joy looking at the clear water this morning and see the rest of the gang swimming about. It is a shame to see a huge 8000 gl pond filled with just a few fish though. They look kind of lost in there.

I sorted out our shubunkin/comets from the smaller koi yesterday to put the little ones in the big pond now. Took a few pictures of my shubis/comets. Post them later - it helped yesterday being reminded that those some of those shubis/comets are with us just as long as the big koi were, some even longer.

Oh Andrea I am so sorry that happened! Such beautiful fish... I'm heartbroken just hearing about it.

RIP beautiful koi.

Oh my gosh! How awful. I am so sorry to hear that! They were such beautiful fish that fell victim to a bunch of unforutunate events all at once. It has been super hot here and it's only June, this is going to be one hot Georgia summer! I'm already leaving the goldies' lights off during the day because it's so hot.

I'm sorry to hear that. I just did a huge water change on my green pond, and cleaned out the canister as well. The clogged sponges really cut down on the water flow and surface movement, so that's something else to watch out for in the heat, too. :(

I can't even imagine anything like this. I fall apart when I lose one fish. I'm so sorry this happened to you. :k055:

Maybe installing an outlet outside might be necessary in the future.

This is a 1949 house, which we have already greatly remodeled, and still working on it when time and money permits. What definetely needs major work is the electricity in the house. It needs complete rewiring, and we just can't do that at the moment. Those older houses don't have enough outlets as it is, and with so many fish tanks and ponds running, we carefully have to distribute everything. There isn't any other outlet left outside to be using without overloading the system at the moment, unfortunately.

We have plugged in an additional Airpump now that runs on a different circuit. A little airpump ("little" compared to huge pond pumps anyway :D ) don't cause much to a circuit anyway. So, if the dog should knock off the outlet again, there is backup out there. Hubby also planted a chair and a small table infront of that outlet, so hopefully Sara can't reach it anymore.

I am sorry to hear about your loss :( Even I am a follower of green water, I am getting scary of it now.

As long as there is air supply, like an airstone or powerhead, you are fine, Fred. Its easier to watch over a green water tank than a green water pond that size. Besides, normally people have their outlets right there by the pond. Hm, I guess we aren't "normal" - throwing that out the door years ago. :D

Well, anything could happen when you live in the house that was built in late 40s. I am living in the old house and I know the pain too.